Preview Rd 6. Gold Coast v Adelaide. Metricon, Sat 5:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

This game answers the age old question of what would happen if a NEAFL team took on an AFL team...

Effort there, skills not. I can't help but think Rodney Eade should consider this change:

OUT
Aaron Hall

IN
Trumpet player

Couldn't possibly be any worse off?

GWS beat the Hawks! (Don't give me s**t that 2 top players were out!) They are a Champion TEAM, GWS are 1 year less in Development and Experience to us!! We are basically a rabble, on and off the field. Seriously if Bennell thinks he's a Rock star, show him the Door! We had a bloody good side in tonight..Players need to stand up,skill up and Harden up!....PATHETIC

GWS beat the Hawks! (Don't give me s**t that 2 top players were out!) They are a Champion TEAM, GWS are 1 year less in Development and Experience to us!! We are basically a rabble, on and off the field. Seriously if Bennell thinks he's a Rock star, show him the Door! We had a bloody good side in tonight..Players need to stand up,skill up and Harden up!....PATHETIC
You do know that GWS are currently fielding a side with a lot more experience than ours? Their best two players were apparently Ward and Griffen...oh and that Cameron bloke kicked 7 against a Hawks defence missing Lake and Frawley. Not taking anything away from GWS, they are going to be awesome.
Rocket put it in perspective a couple of weeks ago. It will ebb and flow, one year GWS will be in front of us, the next year we could be in front of them if our situations were reversed. Our side tonight was missing arguably 10 of what would have been our best 22 at the beginning of the year - Ablett, O'Meara, Swallow, Bennell, Martin, May, McKenzie, Stanley, Matera, Malceski, Broughton. That was nowhere near one of our good sides.

Bennell is key to our team. We are still better than GWS (with our full team against their full team.) Our team is completely different to last years team. Swallow, May, McKenzie, Bennell,O'Meara and Ablett all stared last year when we won and were key to our structure. So Rischitelli and Prestia are the only midfield leaders right now. We will turn it around in time if you don't believe that i'm sure GWS could do with a few more fans..

Im not to dissapointed with tonight, they tried hard but were outclassed just as expected....

One thing that is frustrating is the consistent playing of Jesse Lonergan in a very defensive/tagging role...Bluey did it and now Eade is doing it... This guy could be a genuine ball winning mid but his confidence has been destroyed by playing out of position. Kind of similar to Mav Weller in a way. Throw him on the ball and tell him to go and win it. thats what he did as a junior and what better time than now to test it as a senior. Tagging Betts was a shocking match up. I dont know who else we could have put on him...but geez i just feel for Jesse. I feel he could go to another club and be more than serviceable.

oh well it could be worse. you could be a hawks member.......first losss to the get well sooners.

can see some depth coming thru the suns for future development. all it takes to win is some consistency and commitment. one of these attributes will grow the other. that's footy.
what a great atmosphere at Metricon tonight, what a venue and sorry to say but we lost and it was still fun , lots of people were enjoying the night and a great night out to watch the footy.

long live AFL

oh well it could be worse. you could be a hawks member.......first losss to the get well sooners.

can see some depth coming thru the suns for future development. all it takes to win is some consistency and commitment. one of these attributes will grow the other. that's footy.
what a great atmosphere at Metricon tonight, what a venue and sorry to say but we lost and it was still fun , lots of people were enjoying the night and a great night out to watch the footy.

long live AFL
Good stuff tonight, mate. Long live the TARGETMAN at Metricon.

Smith and Nicholls are ******* terrible. We NEED to sign an experienced ruckman ASAP. Minson, we need you!

Smith is completely useless, and Nicholls is average on-field and mediocre in the ruck. Poor old Tommy was getting pushed around like a crash-test dummy for most of the night, with several of his effective hitouts going straight down the opposition's throat, twice leading directly to a Crows goal.

Saad, Prestia, Harbs, Dixon, Lynch, Miller, Shaw, and Sexton all had great games.

Smith, Cameron, A. Hall, Lonergan, Schade - who are all in their final year of contract - were all sub-par.

harbs tried hard but his kicking let us down at times. way too many clangers for an experienced member of our team. saad and miller continue to impress. i am so sick of seeing aaron hall get games at afl level. zac's smith's left leg should only be used for running, never to kick. not completely sold on hallahan, seems slow and kinda fades in and out of games too much.

big issue is still our gameplan. i know it's tough to play with probably more than your best 22 out of the team, but tactically we had nothing tonight. reverting back to the old days of kicking it across the face of goal. mainly comes down to player moment, i reckon. we've become so stagnant, no run providing leads or even trying to create separation from their opponents. the kick-ins still give me the shits. it's like they're told to stand still in x position on the ground, or maybe even run at half pace 10m "that way". they're too easy to defend and have become predictable. i've paid more attention to other teams and how they set up around the ground and the movements they make. often tonight the adelaide forwards would create a congestion of players in their forward 50 to get the switch with their opponent and create space. that was how betts and cameron found themselves in so much space off the centre bounces.

not completely sold on hallahan, seems slow and kinda fades in and out of games too much.
Agreed. Seemed like the shining light that we needed, but appears to have fizzled out. Not really sure what to think now. I'd like to see him get another game or two, because players in his position shine more with better players around him, and when half the team wouldn't even making into the ******* another club's NEAFL team, it's hard to look great.

Even Malceski has played like a complete amateur. At least Hallahan has the excuse of actually being an young and untried player haha. He'll come good I think :)

Smith and Nicholls are ******* terrible. We NEED to sign an experienced ruckman ASAP. Minson, we need you!

Smith is completely useless, and Nicholls is average on-field and mediocre in the ruck. Poor old Tommy was getting pushed around like a crash-test dummy for most of the night, with several of his effective hitouts going straight down the opposition's throat, twice leading directly to a Crows goal.
What kind of ruckman do you chase if you're Scott Clayton? We know they've already sounded out Sandilands (unrestricted free agent) from Fremantle earlier this year and there is the recent rumour involving Minson from the Dogs. Tom Bellchambers from Essendon, Matthew Kreuzer from Carlton and Matthew Leuenberger from Brisbane are all available through free agency if the Suns aren't keen to trade any of their assets. I suppose Kurt Tippett from Sydney is an option as well but that would require a trade.

The thing I've noticed that has worked for GWS is their recruiting of experienced players that have just entered their physical peak. Shane Mumford was recruited at 27 years of age, Heath Shaw at 28 and Ryan Griffen at 28. Aaron Sandilands turns 33 later this year so I'm not sure that is really a good bet and Will Minson turned 30 earlier this year. Tom Bellchambers will turn 26 later this year, as will Kreuzer and Leuenberger will turn 27 in a few months. Tippett turned 28 two days ago.

Whoever they recruit, they really need him to have a Mumford-like impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with Sandilands is..
Cox was great 2 years ago.. Then last year fizzled bad...
Dono if its big guys and pre seasons and the age or what not.. But Sandi would be a massive gamble which would unlikey pay dividends.
Not really a fan of any of those ruckman, nor any of our own.no-ones done anything special or set the world on fire. Mison has once upon a time.. But now his in the 2s. So :/
Id LOVE Dixon to be our ruckman he would be mumfordJR
But unfortunetly his body is brittle.. So were left with 2 athletically challanged lanky players walking around in circles.

Just pick the biggest nastiest beast out of the VFL/Neafl/SANFL/wafl to compliment our Aston Martin midfield next year!

Last edited:
Really liked the Dixon/Lynch forward line combo last night. Didn't get in each other's space, work well together. Considering our inconsistent entries into the fwd 50, thought they converted very well.

Did not like Smith sitting in a fwd pocket though. Was a useless move. Just clogged up space. He has no natural fwd ability.

If they want to sit a 3rd tall in the fwd line bring in 2 meter Peter.

Yesterday was the 1st time I've seen him play. The kid is a real work horse. Leads well, one on one is very good. With Day & Gorringe injured, let's start giving Wright a few games for a taste.

Twilight games at Metricon are perfect. it means you can have the little ones in bed by 8 and the view you have from center wing when the sun is going down just gives you tingles, unfortunately right now we have a product that is hard to watch (out side Adam Saad what a gun I'm going down to the TAB this morning and putting the house on him to win the Ron Evans medal). I can see why its hard for a neutral sports fan here on the gold coast to be attracted to AFL when,
1. the gold coast suns skills are below par
2. there is nothing worse than watching players kick backwards
3. the way AFL is being played at the moment with this rolling maul ( just keep one player in the forward 50 so we have someone to kick too...... FU*K)

But there were a few positives
ADAM SAAD
one loss closer to that number 1 pick
I didn't watch it but our NEAFL team won 2 in a row
Prestia another solid game
the way Dixon and Lynch attack the ball in the air its refreshing
I thought Miller was ok we will be a solid 10 year player
Hopefully that was the last time I had to watch Russell and Hall live

What kind of ruckman do you chase if you're Scott Clayton? We know they've already sounded out Sandilands (unrestricted free agent) from Fremantle earlier this year and there is the recent rumour involving Minson from the Dogs. Tom Bellchambers from Essendon, Matthew Kreuzer from Carlton and Matthew Leuenberger from Brisbane are all available through free agency if the Suns aren't keen to trade any of their assets. I suppose Kurt Tippett from Sydney is an option as well but that would require a trade.

David Hale only contracted until 2015 at Hawthorn
Ruck/KPF
Hasn't played a senior game this year presumably due to injury
Local Tweed Coolangatta boy and his wife has been very keen to get back to the Coast
30/31 yoa
Depends on whether Hawthorn see him as vital....but the last contract was only a year or 2??
With the development of Ceglar and McEvoy preferred it seems, he might be on the table
Has kicked 200 odd goals too

David Hale only contracted until 2015 at Hawthorn
Ruck/KPF
Hasn't played a senior game this year presumably due to injury
Local Tweed Coolangatta boy and his wife has been very keen to get back to the Coast
30/31 yoa
Depends on whether Hawthorn see him as vital....but the last contract was only a year or 2??
With the development of Ceglar and McEvoy preferred it seems, he might be on the table
Has kicked 200 odd goals too

Depending on how this season pans out for Nichols/Smith, this is the type of trade I think we should look at. Even though players have reached 30, it's not like they are instantly passed it. We need a mature ruckman, even just for 2yrs or so until our guys continue their development.

Coming in to the year I thought Zac had games where he had shown glimpses up forward.

Checking back through the records he kicked a few goals in 2011 and 2013.
Including 5 times had 2+ goals and kicked 22 goals in 28 games those 2 years.

2012, 2014, 2015 has been a different story. 11 goals in 31 game.

Doesn't look near it currently.

I agree if they want to play a 3rd tall give Peter Wright a crack. Another 2 goals - 5 shots on goal and 17 possessions on weekend.

Did not like Smith sitting in a fwd pocket though. Was a useless move. Just clogged up space. He has no natural fwd ability.

If they want to sit a 3rd tall in the fwd line bring in 2 meter Peter.
Agreed.

Towards the end of the game, Lynch and Dixon were using Smith as a speccy pad. Smith was just mucking around the taking up space in the forward line, which from what I saw, was really pissing off big Charlie (who gave Smith a couple of sprays). Stupid move. Bring on 2MP!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back