Autopsy Rd 8 Carlton v Geelong Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

And what? The players suffer because fans jump off, all because the Board and administration cant sort their s**t out?

We are Carlton! We've been through worse than this!!!
We have but the faithful have suffered and are now numb

Tackling has been poor all season.

Why exactly don't they practice it at training?

You can practice all you want, if you don't run to position, chase and harass and put your body on the line then your ain't making many tackles. They are all mental issues as they have shown on the past they know how to do it.

I don't need major announcements to be made but it would sure be nice if he didn't try and sidestep every question that was asked of him. There was literally no point to that interview.

Again, forget Fox. That's a medium for the CEO to connect with the multiple Carlton supporters/members that didnt show up tonight. He just came across as weak and dodging the elephant in the room.

Then may I suggest you don't listen to Mick's presser

Tackling is a biproduct of work rate. He can't do the work for them

That's true .. so what this means .. is that Mick is either not instructing the players to apply a lot of tackling pressure .. or if he does instruct them, as a part of the game plan .. the players choose not to follow it.

That's true .. so what this means .. is that Mick is either not instructing the players to apply a lot of tackling pressure .. or if he does instruct them, as a part of the game plan .. the players choose not to follow it.
Does a coach in an AFL team, coaching AFL players really have to say 'apply talking pressure'? It'd sort of be like telling them to aim between the two middle sticks

Simple fact is we getting flogged by over 10 goals regularly now and have only won 1 game and sit bottom of the ladder.

Clearly not good enough and I wouldn't re-sign Mick in any circumstances.

There is a serious lack of effort and for a coach who has prided himself on his teams being good defensively our lack of tackles ia damming and can only mean 2 things!

1. Mick's is not emphasising work rate and tackling as a priority and a non negotiable.

2. Players can't be stuffed tackling which means the coach isn't getting through to them.

Either way is bad for the coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone explain to me why we let the best small forward in the game (Betts) go bring in a bloke for 200,000 more and is a way worse forward (Daisy)

This decision has been a shocker!!!!!

Also been saying it all year why does Mick keep wasting Yarran in backlines get him on a wing ffs
I'll try and explain it to you in small simple words so that you can understand...

We got Daisy as a midfield/forward... the club decided that Garlett was going to be the way forward and a lot cheaper long term than Betts. They didnt know that Garlett would self-implode last year. Betts is a small forward who can't rotate through the middle to rest the genuine midfielders forward.

Yarran is playing off the half back line because he should be the guy receiving the ball on the run from one of the talls we have in that area after a kickout. Putting him on the wing destroys our run out of the backline because it is going to take 2 kicks to get to him.

Maybe next year, we might move him to the wing under a new coach... if we get to keep him!

Did your actually listen to why he wouldn't say? Because journos would make their own story out of what he said (as they did with his presser yesterday). he said he would never give up on the players, what more do you expect?

I did listen and what I would expect a Coach to say, particularly one who is coming out of contract, is that you think you are the right man to rebuild this club and you want to coach the club beyond this year.

To not answer is soft and just gives the media more ammunition.

Mick knows he's gone and is trying to save his ego, and in the process, he will do more damage.

We're supposed to be rebuilding yet he brings in Warnock ahead of Graham to replace a midfielder!

Mick has lost the players. They didn't even show him respect vs Collingwood in his game breaking record.

He has traded our entire forward line away and brought in Jones and Tutt to replace them? Please, give me a bucket!!

Mick has lost the plot and needs to go now because the longer he stays, the longer and harder the recovery.

It's time for the Board to grow some balls and make a tough decision for once.

Disgraceful leadership!!!

You can practice all you want, if you don't run to position, chase and harass and put your body on the line then your ain't making many tackles. They are all mental issues as they have shown on the past they know how to do it.
So why don't they "run to position, chase and harass and put your body on the line" at training?

What are we not doing Monday-Friday to improve the next game by 5% from week to week?

I thought there were better signs tonight in the first half. Simpson was leading from the front. The ball appeared to be moving around a little quicker. It was into red time in the second quarter that things got away. Three goals meant a 34 point lead at the half time break. Again a poor start to the third quarter and we're 50 plus points behind.

I must admit there were a couple of puzzling umpiring decisions either side of the break that had me scratching my head. Of course they both resulted in goals but I digress.

A 7 to 3 quarter was pretty similar to last week although I wouldn't rate the oppo as high as last week. It's the last quarter that I can't understand. It appeared like we went into this zone arrangement to stop the goals. It doesn't benefit us. It stops us from scoring because Geelong defenders outnumbered our forwards when we went forward and put us back under pressure again. You could see the players frustration.

I thought Simmo, Murph, Ed were our best. White and Rowe battled well. Yarran tried to create run. Jones and Casboult need to figure out a plan as they flew for marks on too many occasions. I think it's simple. Jones should roam and Levi should stay closer to home. Juddy is clearly in pain at the moment. I admire his pluck but his game is limited at the moment. The two big guys happened again tonight. I'm not sure why because it doesn't work. I saw more effort tonight but a lot of it went unrewarded. As I said the frustration at how they are performing as a team is getting worse. A recovery from here requires a miracle.

So why don't they "run to position, chase and harass and put your body on the line" at training?

What are we not doing Monday-Friday to improve the next game by 5% from week to week?
Having lattes

I don't need major announcements to be made but it would sure be nice if he didn't try and sidestep every question that was asked of him. There was literally no point to that interview.

Again, forget Fox. That's a medium for the CEO to connect with the multiple Carlton supporters/members that didnt show up tonight. He just came across as weak and dodging the elephant in the room.
I'm not sure what you wanted him to say. He was never going to make an announcement about Malthouse's future, or comment on where the club is at.

As you say, there was no point to the interview however I can understand why, if Trigg had committed to this interview before the match, he went ahead with the interview. A no-show would have been interpreted by the media as an indication that something was going down at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back