rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
Cripps is a massive exception to the rule when it comes to young mids.

But we should expect the best. And want the best. We shouldnt be sourcing 6th or 7th depth mids at the moment.

You know I post a lot. I am very pro youth footy. I just dont think this guy will be a meaningful contributor.

I hope I am wrong. I hope he is the next sammy mitchell. The thing is, he won't be.

Give him this year. 10 more games. If he struggles, he should be cut.

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
Wasnt hapoy with goodes' premeditated fancy dance after a cheap goal. Anyone else doing that would be lambasted.

Cripps, simmo and the usual suspects tried hard. Jones, graham, tutt had zero impact

Reckon he already has been

dc king

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers
Have to say Curnow is what is wrong with the team like so many others ....

He gives 100% which is admirable but he is just not a good, smart footballer when it comes to his disposals ... just cannot have that in the modern game.

If he was one in a few no problem but we have so many like him ... Probably one of the last "average" disposers of the ball to be cut but will be cut eventually ... can not see us winning a premiership with Curnows in the side
You put it in good words. People on here tend to get too defensive when he is criticized. His tagging efforts are good but he's just not a big enough threat to the opposition to warrant a game no matter how poor we are.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I can't get excited about a loss. We had some good contributors but too many passengers. I haven't looked at the statistics yet but I think 7,8, maybe 9 gave little and left it to 6 or 7 others to run themselves into the ground. We have a few blokes out injured who would have been handy tonight. I think the emphasis should be on getting run into the team as quicker movement of the ball will achieve better results.

Kreuzer - Wood later on as well.

Much later on I would have thought.
Will possibly play as a permanent forward and Wood could play 1st ruck.
Kreuzer, Casboult and Everitt up forward would be tricky to cover.
Jamo & Rowe down back with Hendo being the swingman.

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
But we should expect the best. And want the best. We shouldnt be sourcing 6th or 7th depth mids at the moment.

You know I post a lot. I am very pro youth footy. I just dont think this guy will be a meaningful contributor.

I hope I am wrong. I hope he is the next sammy mitchell. The thing is, he won't be.

Sam Mitchell, Ablett and Bartel didn't star from the get go.

Graham's only played 12 games. If he turns out to be B-grade that's a win for a third round pick.

Are you expecting 30 disposal games like Cripps though? That sort of stuff is freakish, not the norm especially in a struggling side.

Mar 21, 2008
In the box
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Northern Blues
Have to say Curnow is what is wrong with the team like so many others ....

He gives 100% which is admirable but he is just not a good, smart footballer when it comes to his disposals ... just cannot have that in the modern game.

If he was one in a few no problem but we have so many like him ... Probably one of the last "average" disposers of the ball to be cut but will be cut eventually ... can not see us winning a premiership with Curnows in the side
Tell us something we don't know but you can only replace so many in a year and when you manage to do that after a couple of years you sometimes still have a player of Ed's ability still on your list and there have even be players of similar ability sneak in at number 22 into GF teams

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Much later on I would have thought.
Will possibly play as a permanent forward and Wood could play 1st ruck.
Kreuzer, Casboult and Everitt up forward would be tricky to cover.
Jamo & Rowe down back with Hendo being the swingman.

Depends on Kreuzer's mobility I suppose.

As a pure ruck man I'd prefer a fit Kreuzer at this stage though.

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I just do not understand what we saw in jones?

All the doggie fans warned us about him and what they said was spot on.

Even the commentators tonight were pretty much just hanging it on him for having no tank, no impact and not leaving him anywhere to hide with his lazy efforts.

Just seems to have no drive or hunger .... how did we manage to give him a three year contract.

Want him to turn it around and at least be serviceable but at this point the shock would give me a heart attack.

He should be playing VFL until he builds a tank and shows some form of attitude reversal

No you don't.
2,220 in over 5 years is not a lot.
And you're way off in your summary of Graham.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sam Mitchell, Ablett and Bartel didn't star from the get go.

Graham's only played 12 games. If he turns out to be B-grade that's a win for a third round pick.

Are you expecting 30 disposal games like Cripps though? That sort of stuff is freakish, not the norm especially in a struggling side.

Fair call.

If you can see him even becoming a damaging 20 possie player then you are more clairvoyant than I am. I judge on what I have seen (not tonight). He will not.make it IMO.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
He was sub for about 8 of those games you peanut. Hardly call that 12 games of real exposure.

Fair call.

I have said i want him to make it. I don't wish ill on any CFC player. I think most of you are hoping against hope though. I do not see any tools to make him a good AFL player.

Its all opinion afterall.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not really into bagging players like Tutt, Graham and co as they haven't had any consistency playing in the seniors. Jones OTOH *, I would rather have Watson play for the next six weeks he can't be any worse than Jones. Really pleased with the effort tonight.

Mar 21, 2008
In the box
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Northern Blues
Depends on Kreuzer's mobility I suppose.

As a pure ruck man I'd prefer a fit Kreuzer at this stage though.
I watched tonight's game with a lauded football person and he wondered whether the game may have passed Kreuze by. I hope not but MK has to be able to hold down first ruck

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair call.

I have said i want him to make it. I don't wish ill on any CFC player. I think most of you are hoping against hope though. I do not see any tools to make him a good AFL player.

Its all opinion afterall.

I'm not saying he will or won't make it. But can you not see his willingness to get amongst the tough guys in an under. He has above average disposal and wants to be out there. Him killing it in the VFL each week proves that.

Many players would have dropped their heads by no with the amount of actual senior game time he has had. But this kid has heart. As soon as he gets dropped, he's the best in our 2nds.

We were up against a midfield beast in Sydney. He did well

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Tell us something we don't know but you can only replace so many in a year and when you manage to do that after a couple of years you sometimes still have a player of Ed's ability still on your list and there have even be players of similar ability sneak in at number 22 into GF teams
Exactly what I was trying to say. At the moment there are many more ahead of him to get the chop ... Ed is a marvel when it comes to getting to the contest and being a very good tag ... I actually do not mind him ... but his decision making, special awareness and general disposal are not AFL standard.

We cannot replace the whole team overnight but push comes to shove he will eventually be replaced if we ever see action in the second week of finals.

Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Love the idea of phasing in some youth slowly... but keeping our talented seniors.

Murphy, Gibbs, Jamison and Kruezer still to come back over the next month and a bit.

Also... Boekhurst, Jaksch, Whiley and Holman (and perhaps Watson) to challenge for a spot over the stop gaps (Tutt, Armfield, etc.).

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not really into bagging players like Tutt, Graham and co as they haven't had any consistency playing in the seniors. Jones OTOH *, I would rather have Watson play for the next six weeks he can't be any worse than Jones. Really pleased with the effort tonight.

True play Watson, give him every chance to win a contract while Jones builds his tank in the twos ... Watson turns out to be no good at least we gave him every shot ... just cannot believe a guy who can roost it 70 meters not having some value in a team like ours!

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'm not saying he will or won't make it. But can you not see his willingness to get amongst the tough guys in an under. He has above average disposal and wants to be out there. Him killing it in the VFL each week proves that.

Many players would have dropped their heads by no with the amount of actual senior game time he has had. But this kid has heart. As soon as he gets dropped, he's the best in our 2nds

Dude, i have never knocked his endeavor.

Nor have i knocked that he deserves games. In fact, i have clearly been the opposite.

A few dumb mofo pitch fork witch hunt posters make my comments sound worse than they are.

We don't need triers to become a power again. We need quality afl players.

He may or may not be one. I think he wont. It is my judgement.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I've seen a heck of a lot of Graham over the last 2 & a bit seasons & he is so much better than Ellard it's not funny.

I'm not sure if he will play 200 games, but if handled right, he will be a very handy member of our midfield in the coming years.

Hope so!

Back