Toast RD Pick #13 - Welcome to Freo Ethan Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

If i remember correctly the write-up on Sutcliffe was nearly identical to the description of Hughes at the time we drafted Sutcliffe. Im happy with this pick.
He could be good value if he comes on. A run and carry hbf. Wonder how he goes closing down a player or if he will be a Duffield type only.

I was at a Dockers function this morning and Harris got the text half way through his address to everyone. He told everyone that Freo rated Hughes #1 out of all the rookies so were happy to grab him with their only pick, athletic player who has all the fundamentals to become a great AFL player which they're looking to develop in their system. Plays a lot like Ibbo.

That sounds good, but it's a bit like being the smartest eagles fan ;)

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-03/lloyd-pleased-with-boosted-defensive-stocks

"
Fremantle general manager of player management Brad Lloyd was impressed with Hughes during his recent tests at the club.

“He can play small and tall and knows how to find the footy,” he said.

“He’s a boy that was driving up from Bunbury and is an apprentice glazier, so he’s really committed to his work.

“But we just thought there’s a fair bit of scope for improvement with him with the way he goes about it, so we got him in for some testing over the last couple of weeks and he moved really well, so we’re really excited to bring him in.”"

Hopefully we did the proper paperwork, because I recall Essendon getting fined for doing something similar last year.

how do you know?

From the West, i believe

"Fremantle are considering 19-year-old Hughes in the rookie draft. If picked he would reunite with fellow Swans player Connor Blakely, who was snared by the Dockers in Thursday's national draft. But they may have to strike early, with interest from North Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton. Fremantle have committed to redrafting defender Tanner Smith as a rookie after cutting him last month."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-03/lloyd-pleased-with-boosted-defensive-stocks

"
Fremantle general manager of player management Brad Lloyd was impressed with Hughes during his recent tests at the club.

“He can play small and tall and knows how to find the footy,” he said.

“He’s a boy that was driving up from Bunbury and is an apprentice glazier, so he’s really committed to his work.

“But we just thought there’s a fair bit of scope for improvement with him with the way he goes about it, so we got him in for some testing over the last couple of weeks and he moved really well, so we’re really excited to bring him in.”"

Hopefully we did the proper paperwork, because I recall Essendon getting fined for doing something similar last year.

Don't think Freo jacked him up with peptides so we should be sweet.

The clubs are only banned from testing players prior to the draft if the player went to the state or national combines.

Ethan didn't attend either.

Makes sense, otherwise clubs would tell their targets to tank the combines and then do their own private testing instead.

true but you would have to be silly as a potential draftee to do that ... if the club backs out for whatever reason or a better player is available at their pick, the draftee could just end up shooting himself in the foot and not get picked up because of his combine performance

Passed on the KPP's I've heard of to pick an obscure skinny HBF, about as Freo a selection as it gets. Welcome and good luck to Hughsey.
Video on the FFC website. Kid moves well, bit of Pendlebury in some of his moves in traffic and looks a similar build (maybe another one with basketball background)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back