Delisted Nick Coughlan

Remove this Banner Ad

Well well, I'm absolutely delighted to welcome my man Nick Coughlan to the Saints!

image.jpeg

Nick Coughlan (12/9/1996. 195cm, 83kg. Albury/Murray Bushrangers)

Tall Forward/defender

AFL biography: Tall forward or defender who reads the play well, is strong overhead and a penetrating kick. Impressed as a forward for NSW/ACT and the NAB AFL Academy, but switched to defence this year, playing well at VFL level with Footscray.

"Nick was a bit injury riddled last year. He played a bit of footy but had an ankle issue for a lot of the time and was disappointed not to get drafted but he responded really well. He got a good preseason in and because he'd finished school had a bit of flexibility: he went to uni in Melbourne and was able to experience a bit of the VFL program at Footscray. He got his confidence up early in the year playing as a key defender, and he had five or six games at VFL level where he did pretty well. He uses the ball well, he's a good size and he has plenty of scope for development."

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers talent manager

An overager and former member of the GWS academy, he's a 195cm lad with lovely disposal who's capable at both ends as a KPP, or able to play right away as a 3rd tall.

Probably my 2nd favorite pickup of the offseason after Gresham.

I know it's a long shot coming in as a KPP at pick 23 in the RD but I cant help feeling this guy has got a few tricks up his sleeve that might see him in the side in a couple of years.

Imagine having all of Goddard, Carlisle and Coughlan down back with the ability to swing forward. It would be like Essendon when they rotated Hurley, Hooker and JC with great results.

Very excited by this pick!

Probably my 2nd favorite pickup of the offseason after Gresham.

I know it's a long shot coming in as a KPP at pick 23 in the RD but I cant help feeling this guy has got a few tricks up his sleeve that might see him in the side in a couple of years.

Imagine having all of Goddard, Carlisle and Coughlan down back with the ability to swing forward. It would be like Essendon when they rotated Hurley, Hooker and JC with great results.

Very excited by this pick!
+1.

write up of Paige's

Nicholas Coughlan
Height: 195cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 12/09/1996
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Position: Key Position Utility

Tall, developing key position player who has shown he can play at either end of the ground. Missed a chunk of football last year due to injury, but made strong inroads late in the season but ultimately went un-nominated by the Giants as an academy selection. Spent the year being transformed into a full time key defender, which was pretty much a development year for him.

Why did he get overlooked? A Transition year for Nick, who was overlooked last year as a Forward with the GWS Academy. This year has seen him become a predominately key defender as a top-age player, so he’s still learning in that regard how to play that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time I have seen young Nick but he moves really well and can kick both sides.

From the Saints website : http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-11-27/rookie-pick-23-nicholas-coughlan

Look at 2:27, where he marks on the lead, feigns on the right and then goes back to slot a goal on the left. He goes quite well in the forward line for a defender. Does anyone know how many games he has played as forward?

Got big hopes for this young fella.

Hoping for a Rookie upgrade when Fish probably retires at the end of this year.

image.jpeg

That's my boy! Make the people of the border proud and help the saints win #2!

Got big hopes for this young fella.

Hoping for a Rookie upgrade when Fish probably retires at the end of this year.

View attachment 196712
I think we were discussing this lad DB during the season. I was wondering if he was Frank's boy. He wasn't. But I seem to remember you being fairly keen on him.

I don't know why, but I've got a feeling this kid could be a keeper. Looks like a backman for a start!

He seemed a touch slow down back, but a really good pick at #23 in the rookie draft. I like it.
I see he wears black boots - put him in a pair of white boots and he will look much faster.

Nice size, good kick with both feet, good rookie selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back