RDFL 2014 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Doon, you're a great supporter of local footy.
What about a freaky result today (I think it is anyway). Diggers and Lancefield kicked within 1 point of their round 3 result today 23 17 to 8 6. Round 3 was 23 16 to 8 7!!

To steal slyone's word for IMS ..... freak :D

That may very well change as of 2015 mate, finally got my MCC membership through a couple of weeks back

It got to 1.30 today and I couldn't toss up between Riddell/Rupo, Macedon/Kilmore or the game I thought would be the closest margin (Broadford and Rockbank). Opted for the latter and must say at half time I was mighty impressed with how Rockbank set-up, worked, communicated and implemented a pretty free flowing style on what should be a difficult ground to do so.

Thankfully Broadford showed a bit of fight in the 3rd term and provided some entertaining passages of play even though the result was a given. I was actually glad I did make the trip after seeing the enjoyment the Roos got from Skip kicking a goal. Hats off to Skip for taking the field today, and one thing that young blokes need to learn is that you don't need the ball in your hands to be involved. His voice and direction when on the ground was what coaches expect from all 22 players every week :thumbsu:

Broadford are limping to the line, and at a guess I'd say Rockbank maybe had 4-6 from what I'd say is their strongest not playing (IMS???) but I still love me local footy no matter what so a day out is a day out.
Didn't you make it to the ACK V Ivanhoe Grammar game as well Doona?

Didn't you make it to the ACK V Ivanhoe Grammar game as well Doona?

Yeh I did ha ha, kids basketball before that too fair to say I'm very lucky my wife grew up in local sporting environments.

As we speak she's driving us to Coburg to catch a game and hopefully see Peddo and my dear old mate (and Roosters legend) Spider Moloney who is one of BFNC's finest football products

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen the game on the weekend between rupo vs riddell. I reckon Romsey diggers gf. Both much harder at the pill. Romsey use it better and have bigger bodies.

Nathan has had a very consistant year, he will finish in the top 5 in the B&F in my opinion, could even take it out! He has played a couple of different rolls & succeeded in all, as you well know he has the right temperament & ticks all the boxes for any club to draft him, I believe he will be drafted but I'm biased when it comes to Narhan, if he doesn't get drafted this year it will probably happen next year, what ever happens he is very happy he came to Coburg & Coburg very happy he did, this club is going places & if there is a player out there who would like to better himself as a player & person, then get down to Coburg pre season & learn from a master in Peter German.

An interesting read from from the Geelong Advertiser about salary cap or points system.

A SALARY SQUEEZE WILL COME

"AFL Barwon has confirmed the region’s three leagues will be policed by either a salary cap or player points system in 2016.

The landmark change comes amid a statewide crackdown on skyrocketing player payments.

A 46-question survey was recently sent to all AFL Victoria clubs to address widespread concerns about the impact of escalating player payments on clubs and leagues.

According to figures declared in annual reports, an average GFL club spends about $140,000 on players.

But anecdotally, the top-splurging clubs spend beyond $200,000 and then there’s the issue of jobs and other incentives.

“The feel is player payments are not out of control (in Geelong), but the feel at the same time is it’s not a level playing field,” AFL Barwon region manager Lee Hartman said.

“There is a gap between the top and bottom in all four leagues (including CDFL) — it needs to be evened up.

“If the top GFL club is paying say $200,000, there’s no point setting the cap at $250,000 because the ones that are paying $120,000 will continue to be left behind.”

Hartman is part of a nine-member AFL Victoria panel that is spending the season investigating player payments.

He said only five clubs in the Geelong region did not complete the survey.

“It shows there’s a genuine interest and concern,” he said.

“We know clubs think there’s an issue. The early responses say the clubs identify something needs to happen — just what that golden answer is is what’s being debated.”

AFL Victoria will make it mandatory on all leagues across the state to introduce a form of spending equalisation — it will then be up to individual leagues to decide what type of system suits them.

By October this year, clubs will be informed about what is likely to be implemented.

Some clubs in the Ovens and Murray league, the Goulburn Valley league and some Melbourne metro leagues are said to be spending in the order of $300,000 on players a year.

While a salary cap sounds good in theory, how would it be enforced?

Players may be required to sign statutory declarations or there could be more rigorous checking of the books. But history tells us clubs would find a way around.

“The early indications are there would be some very strict penalties if clubs were to breach the salary cap,” Hartman said, pointing to loss of points, fines or even suspensions of clubs.

But, under a player points system, there is no hiding. It is transparent and can be linked to a national database.

Each player is rated based on their credentials — junior products at the low end of the scale, elite players or marquee recruits at the other. Each team must then fit within a set points cap each week.

“Clubs need to be smarter about how they go about things,” Hartman said.

“The issue is not so much the top-line players, it’s more about clubs spending over the odds for players who shop themselves around and probably don’t have the credentials.

“Club loyalty is still there to an extent, but there’s probably more players in it for the dollars as well.”"

.... looks like to me it's a matter of time before other leagues including the RDFL will not 'if' follow suit.

For it to get anywhere near working ALL clubs would have to run as an official business, be accountable to the Tax Dept, do the quarterly BAS statement thing, provide group certificates for everyone and anyone from players, coaches, netballers, trainers, footy managers etc etc.

Otherwise it can be avoided by paying the partners of players the big bucks to do a one hour stint in the canteen, stand on the gate etc etc like it used to occur in the HDFL ..... aah yes the HDFL, they were the days :D still cant believe it isn't one of the options the Northern Roos are considering

Nathan has had a very consistant year, he will finish in the top 5 in the B&F in my opinion, could even take it out! He has played a couple of different rolls & succeeded in all, as you well know he has the right temperament & ticks all the boxes for any club to draft him, I believe he will be drafted but I'm biased when it comes to Narhan, if he doesn't get drafted this year it will probably happen next year, what ever happens he is very happy he came to Coburg & Coburg very happy he did, this club is going places & if there is a player out there who would like to better himself as a player & person, then get down to Coburg pre season & learn from a master in Peter German.

Sadly mate, a lot of far (far) lesser calibre footballers than young Blairy are getting offered (and taking) ridiculous money at RDFL level clubs even though they're yet to even notch up a half handy football resume, for christ sake Ive seen some battle to get 10 disposals consistently this year yet are happy to think they're worthy of $250-$300 - and the silly thing is clubs offer it sight unseen so you reap what you sow ..... spuds!!!

Sadly mate, a lot of far (far) lesser calibre footballers than young Blairy are getting offered (and taking) ridiculous money at RDFL level clubs even though they're yet to even notch up a half handy football resume, for christ sake Ive seen some battle to get 10 disposals consistently this year yet are happy to think they're worthy of $250-$300 - and the silly thing is clubs offer it sight unseen so you reap what you sow ..... spuds!!!
About 10 yrs back now I was at a 1st Div club doing some recruiting, when I had a guy speak to me about coming over from a 2nd div club. No problems he was a Fairly good player in Div 2 so we got down to talking $ and he informed me he wanted $350-$400 per game,my eyebrows lifted, he said yes because I can work on Saturdays and earn that money.. Ok bud my advice to you is to go and work Saturdays because you certainly aren't going to command that money at this club!
Two days later he rings me and we settle on $150 a game, by round 4 he was in the reserves earning nothing and struggling to get his name in the best players.
As a footnote later on I find out he was a school teacher hmmmmm.. Saturday work??

And there is the other side of the coin where a club will offer a player over the odds & play him in the reserves all year, you don't get paid on the reserves!

I know a couple of clubs that have done exactly that, sometimes not intentionally but due to not doing their homework on recruits it has turned out the poor blokes just weren't up to senior standard.

I know a couple of clubs that have done exactly that, sometimes not intentionally but due to not doing their homework on recruits it has turned out the poor blokes just weren't up to senior standard.
You running around for Kilmore this week Doon? You look like you could play in the midfield!

Seen the game on the weekend between rupo vs riddell. I reckon Romsey diggers gf. Both much harder at the pill. Romsey use it better and have bigger bodies.

Big call. Both sides were probably too busy tanking to worry about being hard at the pill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back