RDFL Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing that should be said about the current flawed system is that if third place loses to sixth place, then the winner of the 4 v 5 match is actually positioned better than the loser of 1 v 2 - which is just disgraceful.

I personally prefer the idea of the top six.. look at last year, the difference between Rupertswood and Sunbury in that final between 3rd and 6th was 15 minutes of football.. the Sharks thrived off that experience and it would've helped them a lot this year.. Rockbank will build on from finishing sixth this year..
The system works if you have a Saturday afternoon game and evening game.. followed by a Sunday game..
I spoke to a club that played in a McIntyre system this year in another league who finished on top of the ladder, had the first week off.. struggled due to lack of exposure to finals intensity (which is different to home and away, obviously), they lost the second semi final because of missing the intensity from the first week, played their way into the Grand final after winning the Prelim... won by a big margin in the Grand final to take home the premiership.. the club specifically cited that missing the opening week of the finals proved to be a disadvantage for the club who lost all momentum and lacked exposure to the vibe of finals football.. every club has a case.. I like the top six, especially the fact that 3rd place can win their way into a spot for the Grand final..

Final 5 is the best system without a doubt!!!

However im all for a final 6 in our competition. There is definately enough sides to warrant it.
Imo the best side wins regardless of position. In our current system 3rd is no certainty to beat 6th. If the final 6 is so flawed, then just try to finish 3rd if u believe its the best spot to finish.

Final 5 is the best system without a doubt!!!

However im all for a final 6 in our competition. There is definately enough sides to warrant it.
Imo the best side wins regardless of position. In our current system 3rd is no certainty to beat 6th. If the final 6 is so flawed, then just try to finish 3rd if u believe its the best spot to finish.
Just to clarify, it's third, fourth or fifth that will end up with the best run in the finals. It won't always be third place.

Just imagine next year you have Romsey v Diggers in the 1 v 2 match and they go hammer and tong for 120 minutes and Diggers wins by a point in an upset, with only 18 fit men.

The next week, Diggers could end up playing the fourth best side for a spot in the grand final, after that side had a comfortable 40-point win. Even if the fourth side lost the game, it would get a double chance. There would be outcry if the fifth placed side somehow got lucky with results and ended up earning a double chance.

It's not a fair system as the top two sides are not rewarded under the current top six.

Congrats to Peddo, on getting the Melton South gig, A lot of work needed to be done there but I have no doubt with his record he should turn them around pretty quick.

Here here, was chatting to Peddo earlier today and whilst he's under no illusions about the job at hand to hear him enthusiastic about a return to coaching his own side again was great ..... good luck mate, oh and on behalf of the lower ranked clubs go your hardest at anyone not secured for 2015 yet :D

Here here, was chatting to Peddo earlier today and whilst he's under no illusions about the job at hand to hear him enthusiastic about a return to coaching his own side again was great ..... good luck mate, oh and on behalf of the lower ranked clubs go your hardest at anyone not secured for 2015 yet :D
G'day Big Fella! We go back along way, that's what I love about coaching, the mates you have forever, you always respect the opposition coach's, once you respect someone you can't help liking that person. There's a couple I didn't get to know, I blame myself for that. Good luck big fella I hope you enjoy the ride & my old mate Mongrel, very happy you got one!

A massive congratulations to mr football mark pedo pederson on his new appointment. Pedo u single handedly changed the culture of the romsey footy club and your values and the discipline u instilled are still highly respected at this great club today!!!!!!
I wish u all the best on your new coaching endevour and thank you for all the knowledge and experience u have that u passed onto me...

A massive congratulations to mr football mark pedo pederson on his new appointment. Pedo u single handedly changed the culture of the romsey footy club and your values and the discipline u instilled are still highly respected at this great club today!!!!!!
I wish u all the best on your new coaching endevour and thank you for all the knowledge and experience u have that u passed onto me...

Thanks mate! very kind of you, but when you take over as coach of a club like Romsey its not difficult at all, they are a great community & I have made some great friendships, a real bonus. It was also great to here from some of my close friends at Wallan, who were kids when I first started there & who are now the heart & soul of the club. Its been a great ride having a front seat watching David (Daff) Fowler kicking 34 goals in a game in 97 ( what a talent he was) & watching Davo in 2011 become the most talked about forward in years! Gav Langborne & Shannon Green winning the Bowen was also a highlight! & Mongrel I will never forget that Prelim when you sat at full forward that day and against the odds Wallan marched into the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we have spoken about it before, but what are people's thoughts on a top 5 rather than a top 6??

The push for a top 5 continues, but in our current structure, I just don't understand the push, surely it is detrimental to our finals series? I understand the issues with "3rd" place, but we are still yet to see any real advantage for the side finishing 3rd in our competition. In fact, 3rd place has only won a Grand Final on 1 or 2 occasions (where did the Kangas finish Sunba? I just can't recall) Woodend definitely won it from 3rd. And 3rd has only made the Grand Final on 3 or 4 occasions. I am still yet to be convinced that a top 5 system in a competition with a bye especially isn't fundamentally flawed, no more so than our current system. I would much prefer the league ran a top 8, this system and the top 4 are the only systems not carrying a fundamental flaw.
I like the 5. Unless you bring in home ground advantage there is no reward for finishing 1st. 3rd too big of an advantage after defeating 6 - who are generally weak. 3rd win they get the double chance, 4th win and they play one of the best two sides in a knock out final.

5 is clean - finishing 1st you earn a week off. 2 and 3 a double chance, 4 and 5 an elimination final each week. 4th can win in the final 6 and get the double chance and after 1 win are equal with either with 1st or 2nd after they have won.

6 is in for more finals and revenue - not the fairest system.

Mate I think you'll find that not only have they recruited Harrison and Kenny, they will also get the red head bloke who was injured (league medalist back), Sykes is now settled and playing good footy, plus 5 or 6 other blokes from various leagues including the VFL system. A good club that had one bad year. Let's not forget they were a club full of potential a couple years back but struggled to seal the deal in September. With these handy inclusions like Harrison who WILL get 40 through the middle and Kenny who WILL dominate the League Goal Kicking if fit, I think you'll find a totally new and improved team from the Cattery.

According to the EDFL page on fb.. Kane North, Stephen Long, Matt Sammut and Corey Hall have all signed at Westmeadows.
Few more leaving Riddells I hear where are they at with departures and recruiting so far?
Sunbury and Macedon seem too be on the front foot too try catch Romsey

Few more leaving Riddells I hear where are they at with departures and recruiting so far?
Sunbury and Macedon seem too be on the front foot too try catch Romsey
Natural turn over. Riddell can't go in with same side in 2015 and think they can compete with the best. It won't be long before their new recruits start getting posted on here. They will be there about again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back