RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was possibly harder to umpire a game in those conditions than to play.. speaking to another umpire on the day, one would see a free kick and in some cases the reaction to get to the whistle in time was a heck of a lot slower because it was that darn cold, a bit going on in the packs, that was hard to see because it was harder to physically get into position, slower brand of footy.. you make the great point that there was nothing wrong the standard of umpiring in all other games.. the players skills may not have been that flash, like wise with the umpires and the conditions didn't help.. I umpired two at Romsey and I rate them as the two worst I'll ever do, it was a battle to be out on the park.. but all in all, good opinion.. lets hope we see some great conditions this weekend with a fantastic brand of football to boot.

Yep, completely understand that difficult conditions can add to the difficulties in umpiring the contest... But the 50/50 decisions etc are not the issue.. How can this best be put without having people think that I am saying an umpire cheated, because it is not what I believe.. What I believe is, that one of the two sides on the weekend were umpired differently to the opposition side, by one umpire in particular. I believe interpretation changed from one decision to another and it happened in situations where the contest was irrelevant to the decision making process, one on one contests where a different decision was paid when the same situation had occured prior or following. Again, it is only my assessment of the match and not to discredit Centrals at all either, but what I saw from the game was, that without certain decisions, then Centrals would have been restricted to one goal for the afternoon.

Yep, completely understand that difficult conditions can add to the difficulties in umpiring the contest... But the 50/50 decisions etc are not the issue.. How can this best be put without having people think that I am saying an umpire cheated, because it is not what I believe.. What I believe is, that one of the two sides on the weekend were umpired differently to the opposition side, by one umpire in particular. I believe interpretation changed from one decision to another and it happened in situations where the contest was irrelevant to the decision making process, one on one contests where a different decision was paid when the same situation had occured prior or following. Again, it is only my assessment of the match and not to discredit Centrals at all either, but what I saw from the game was, that without certain decisions, then Centrals would have been restricted to one goal for the afternoon.

Just come out and say it, IMS. One umpire, most likely subconsiously, gave Centrals a couple of 'charity' frees because they were never in the contest all day. Am I guessing right to say they were inside 50?

Just come out and say it, IMS. One umpire, most likely subconsiously, gave Centrals a couple of 'charity' frees because they were never in the contest all day. Am I guessing right to say they were inside 50?

The two that resulted in goals certainly were... :p

With the Diggers loss on the weekend the run home for 3 sides certainly becomes interesting... By my calculations, that loss will cost Diggers a spot in the finals with the winner of the Wallan Vs Romsey game in Round 18 to decide which of them makes the finals.

Diggers Rest - Sunbury Kangaroos, Melton Centrals, Rockbank, Broadford, Kilmore, Lancefield

Romsey - Riddell, Lancefield, Melton Centrals, Kilmore, Rockbank, Wallan

Wallan - Kilmore, Rockbank, Sunbury Kangaroos, Woodend/Hesket, Melton Centrals, Romsey.

Diggers to go 3 & 3 at a glance and both Romsey and Wallan to win 3, the winner of the Wallan vs Romsey game to take the 4th win and a finals spot...

With the Diggers loss on the weekend the run home for 3 sides certainly becomes interesting... By my calculations, that loss will cost Diggers a spot in the finals with the winner of the Wallan Vs Romsey game in Round 18 to decide which of them makes the finals.

Diggers Rest - Sunbury Kangaroos, Melton Centrals, Rockbank, Broadford, Kilmore, Lancefield

Romsey - Riddell, Lancefield, Melton Centrals, Kilmore, Rockbank, Wallan

Wallan - Kilmore, Rockbank, Sunbury Kangaroos, Woodend/Hesket, Melton Centrals, Romsey.

Diggers to go 3 & 3 at a glance and both Romsey and Wallan to win 3, the winner of the Wallan vs Romsey game to take the 4th win and a finals spot...

Did have a bit of a look at that IMS. I think it will come down to percentage from those 3 sides for 1 spot. Based on ladder positions to date to determine outcomes for up and coming games (and i know it never happens that way, but we'll base it on that), all 3 sides will be 3 and 3. (As i highlighted in your post - red = possible win)

Here is the ladder to date:
5 Macedon FC1275000977823118.71286 Diggers Rest FNC1266000860788109.14247 Romsey FNC1266000941932100.97248 Wallan FNC126600089990199.7824

If Wallan or Romsey can grab another game somewhere then diggers chances may just have gone!! Cant see Diggers getting up in their other 3 games, but it is a funny game!! Percentage will be crucial to all 3 sides when they play the lower sides!!

Does it all boil down to Consistency? :p

Woodend have a mighty tough run home BUT IF - they beat Macedon, Riddell topple Romsey, Kilmore beat Wallan and Sunbury beat Diggers Rest.. four sides on 24 points.. could make things interesting.. or if Woodend beat Macedon.. Romsey beat Riddell, Wallan beat Kilmore and Diggers beat Sunbury.. four teams on 28 from 5-8.. then will the Cats be in strife?

If Wallan or Romsey can grab another game somewhere then diggers chances may just have gone!! Cant see Diggers getting up in their other 3 games, but it is a funny game!! Percentage will be crucial to all 3 sides when they play the lower sides!!

Agree, and I think Romsey will pick up the Kilmore game, making the Wallan V Romsey game the decider...

IF Diggers had have won on the weekend, then on averages, they would have been in.. They dropped the chance and now need to pick up a win against Sunbury, Kilmore or Lancefield, I would give them some hope against both Sunbury and Kilmore, so it is going to be a very interesting run home...

Woodend can't make it... Even if results went their way this week the run home is Macedon (L), Riddell (L), Broadford (W), Wallan (L), Sunbury (L), Kilmore (L).. They will win one, possibly two in the run home - very unlikely to scrape in. They can certainly shape it though, a win against Macedon this week makes things very interesting for the Cats, we could very well see them make up a group of 4 for two spots...

Macedon - Woodend (W), Sunbury Kangaroos (L), Riddell (L), Rockbank (W), Lancefield (L), Broadford (W).

If they drop the Woodend game and lose the others as predicted they will finish on 9-9 as well... Leaving the final spot up to percentage (Which the Cats currently hold an advantage, but is it enough) If they win what they are expected, then 10-8 will be enough, pick up one against the Kangaroos, Riddell or Lancefield and 11-7 might push them into a top 4 battle with Kilmore (should finish 12-6)

Kilmore - Wallan (W), Broadford (W), Lancefield (L), Romsey (L), Diggers (W), Woodend/Hesket (W)

The Kangaroos should finish 14-4 at worst, while it is hard to see Riddell and especially Lancefield dropping one from here in (although the Riddell/Kangas game should be a beauty) and we will likely see the top two sitting at 17-1

Hey Little Pig are you able to comment on the umpires on the weekend? A lot of comments from the Sunba side - would be interesting to get your take on the weekends umpiring.

Wallan over Broadford by 36 points.

How cold did it get at Wallan on weekend? I was sitting on hill in my car and ended up turning on the heater. Good win by the Pies though. Heard Peddo wasnt too impressed with the 4 goals to Broadford in the last quarter. From my source, they copped a blast after they sang the song.

Hey Little Pig are you able to comment on the umpires on the weekend? A lot of comments from the Sunba side - would be interesting to get your take on the weekends umpiring.

Interesting you ask that question Kings as I was going to comment myself yesterday. I thought it was the best we've been umpired all year. You see at Centrals we usually don't get the best of runs with the men in orange. Our year to date has been very dissapointing but one area that I've worked hard on is our discipline which has been very good all year , hopefully the umpires are seeing the same thing. On Sunburys whingeing about the umpires I think they should worry about other areas they can control. They were far too good for us and should put there energies into utalising there very strong playing list. After talking to there coach Mr Helmers on Saturday I think he is well aware of his sides strengths and weaknesses.

Hope that answers your question James!!!

Interesting you ask that question Kings as I was going to comment myself yesterday. I thought it was the best we've been umpired all year. You see at Centrals we usually don't get the best of runs with the men in orange. Our year to date has been very dissapointing but one area that I've worked hard on is our discipline which has been very good all year , hopefully the umpires are seeing the same thing. On Sunburys whingeing about the umpires I think they should worry about other areas they can control. They were far too good for us and should put there energies into utalising there very strong playing list. After talking to there coach Mr Helmers on Saturday I think he is well aware of his sides strengths and weaknesses.

Very good Mr Pig. You spoke to me at Sunba V South about how hard you have been working on disipline. Good to see it paying off. All the best for the rest of 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How cold did it get at Wallan on weekend? I was sitting on hill in my car and ended up turning on the heater. Good win by the Pies though. Heard Peddo wasnt too impressed with the 4 goals to Broadford in the last quarter. From my source, they copped a blast after they sang the song.
I remember playing in an under 10's game at Wallan in the early eighties and most of the Wallan kids wore tracksuit pants.

Very good Mr Pig. You spoke to me at Sunba V South about how hard you have been working on disipline. Good to see it paying off. All the best for the rest of 2010.

i might just say our disipline was very good on the weekend it wasn't our our disipline that had anything to do with the lopsided freekicks :confused::confused::confused:

Discipline!!!:eek:

Pig you could of been sent off twice for starting Grub and Caccamo. Hardly discipline shown there by the coach. You should of concentrated on getting the hard ball (which you've done all your career) instead of starting that crap. Anyway I understand where your coming from in regards to umps bein hard on you guy's. So your hardly gonna complain about browny and his mate.

On another note I wonder if the umpire critique left early cos his red pen ran out early in the second half? :D

I remember playing in an under 10's game at Wallan in the early eighties and most of the Wallan kids wore tracksuit pants.

Yes, yes, yes indeed, it can be very cold over at Wallan........Now onto the BIG question - Did you get up to Kyneton on the week-end pal for the big CLASH of the "Traditional Rivals" ?

OMNI"S FINAL LADDER PREDICTION -

Riddell................68
Lancefield...........60
Sunbury..............56
Kilmore...............52
Macedon.............44

Diggers...............36*
Romsey...............36*
Wallan.................36*

Woodend...............28
Rockbank...............12
Melton....................4
Broadford................0

* Diggers, Romsey & Wallan to fight it out for the last remaining spot in the Finals with % to determine the ultimate outcome.
All three of these sides will be desperate to mininise the level of their defeats & conversely, maximise the level of their victories in the remaining rounds of the season.......Or pinch a win against the odds, against a higher ranked opponent. :footy::thumbsu::footy:

OMNI"S FINAL LADDER PREDICTION -

Riddell................68
Lancefield...........60
Sunbury..............56
Kilmore...............52
Macedon.............44

Diggers...............36*
Romsey...............36*
Wallan.................36*

Woodend...............28
Rockbank...............12
Melton....................4
Broadford................0

* Diggers, Romsey & Wallan to fight it out for the last remaining spot in the Finals with % to determine the ultimate outcome.
All three of these sides will be desperate to mininise the level of their defeats & conversely, maximise the level of their victories in the remaining rounds of the season.......Or pinch a win against the odds, against a higher ranked opponent. :footy::thumbsu::footy:
Anything been mentioned as to where the finals could be?

Discipline!!!:eek:

Pig you could of been sent off twice for starting Grub and Caccamo. Hardly discipline shown there by the coach. You should of concentrated on getting the hard ball (which you've done all your career) instead of starting that crap. Anyway I understand where your coming from in regards to umps bein hard on you guy's. So your hardly gonna complain about browny and his mate.

On another note I wonder if the umpire critique left early cos his red pen ran out early in the second half? :D

Sent off for what ? We were just getting aquainted , doing the waltz. Just was a little bit frustrated mate!!! I'll take your advice on board.

Anything been mentioned as to where the finals could be?

No, I have not heard that any venues have been selected as yet.
I would hope the BEST venues are selected so we can get the BEST footy on the day to showcase our League.

I”ll have a crack at it. (Assuming the ladder finishes as I predict) –

Week 1 – Double header at Melton.

Sunbury v Diggers Rest.
Kilmore v Macedon.

Riddell v Lancefield - At Sunbury.

*Assuming all higher ranked sides win.

Week 2 – At Kilmore.

Riddell v Sunbury.

Lancefield v KilmoreAt Romsey.

*Week 3 – At Macedon.

Sunbury v Lancefield.

*Week 4 – Grand Final at Lancefield.

Riddell v Lancefield.

I thought you said the best grounds?

This is how it should play out.

Week 1
Riddell v Lancefield at Romsey
Sunbury v Diggers Rest at Macedon
Kilmore v Macedon at Lancefield
(forget the double header crap)

Week 2
Riddell v Sunbury at Macedon
Lancefield v Kilmore at Romsey

Week 3
Lancefield v Sunbury at Macedon

Week 4
Riddell v Lancefield at Lancefield

Yep the double header is crap!! I hated running it, I hated trying to follow both sides and ultimately, I hated knowing I missed a great game when I was watching another.

I'd like to think our club will run the first week again. We learnt a lot from how other clubs ran it last year so we were hoping to get another crack at it. The ground is now an oval, not an egg, the "lush" grass that used to be there 5 year ago is slowly coming back, new coaches boxes away from spectators... It can promise to be a good day if organised properly. Love to get a Sunbury v Diggers final... WOWEE!! :D

Yep the double header is crap!! I hated running it, I hated trying to follow both sides and ultimately, I hated knowing I missed a great game when I was watching another.

I'd like to think our club will run the first week again. We learnt a lot from how other clubs ran it last year so we were hoping to get another crack at it. The ground is now an oval, not an egg, the "lush" grass that used to be there 5 year ago is slowly coming back, new coaches boxes away from spectators... It can promise to be a good day if organised properly. Love to get a Sunbury v Diggers final... WOWEE!! :D
Would that be the front or back ground?

I thought you said the best grounds?

This is how it should play out.

Week 1
Riddell v Lancefield at Romsey
Sunbury v Diggers Rest at Macedon
Kilmore v Macedon at Lancefield
(forget the double header crap)

Week 2
Riddell v Sunbury at Macedon
Lancefield v Kilmore at Romsey

Week 3