RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also heard that Riddell were not allowed the 4 points after the weekend, for what reason i was not sure of, but heard tonight that they have been reinstated.
So there cant have been too much in it.

Just recieved an email about Team of the Year selection and Volunteer of the Year criteria.

Ill start with the Volunteer of the Year first. Bloody fantastic!! The WRFL allow clubs to put in a weekly nomination of a volunteer that has gone above and beyond the call for their club and put it in the local rag. I reckon it finally recognises the heart beats of clubs. Well done RDFL! (hope I get nominated) lol

Team of the Year... now as passionate I am about this league and everything it stands for, I already know some of those who put their hands up to help promote this league (Interleague) will not get a gig at the Team of the Year. This should be a criteria for coaches to look at. These players not only represent their club with pride and passion but they also did it for the league. The league should be grateful that they have a bunch of fellas across the teams that are willing to put their hand up to help promote what is so good about RDFL. Bugger those who snubbed the RDFL. And if the RDFL were fair dinkum, they should invite all players, coaches and volunteers that helped at Interleague to the Presentation Night at the leagues cost as a gesture and appreciation for the sacrifice.

Just a few thoughts...

This week, Centrals and Diggers will be playing a Call to Arms match where proceeds of raffles and records will be donated to the initiative. Anyone that is in the area is encouraged to come down and make a donation while supporting to teams with a long history... It promises to be a cracker!

George out!

Just recieved an email about Team of the Year selection and Volunteer of the Year criteria.

Ill start with the Volunteer of the Year first. Bloody fantastic!! The WRFL allow clubs to put in a weekly nomination of a volunteer that has gone above and beyond the call for their club and put it in the local rag. I reckon it finally recognises the heart beats of clubs. Well done RDFL! (hope I get nominated) lol

Team of the Year... now as passionate I am about this league and everything it stands for, I already know some of those who put their hands up to help promote this league (Interleague) will not get a gig at the Team of the Year. This should be a criteria for coaches to look at. These players not only represent their club with pride and passion but they also did it for the league. The league should be grateful that they have a bunch of fellas across the teams that are willing to put their hand up to help promote what is so good about RDFL. Bugger those who snubbed the RDFL. And if the RDFL were fair dinkum, they should invite all players, coaches and volunteers that helped at Interleague to the Presentation Night at the leagues cost as a gesture and appreciation for the sacrifice.

Just a few thoughts...

This week, Centrals and Diggers will be playing a Call to Arms match where proceeds of raffles and records will be donated to the initiative. Anyone that is in the area is encouraged to come down and make a donation while supporting to teams with a long history... It promises to be a cracker!

George out!

On'ya George. Agree with your views regarding Team of the Year selection, except consideration should be given to players who were part of the squad but were unable to play due to injury.
A player should be proud to represent the RDFL in Interleague and this should be acknowledged when selecting Team of the Year..as for the Prima Donna's............

Before selecting a team of the year ask, when was it introduced and why.
You may just find that it was introduced to reward the better players in the comp after the interleague collapsed.
My opinion is, if you have interleague you don't have a team of the year.
Mix it up, interleague is the team of the year, lets create a team of the decade 2000-2010

I actually disagree. I think the RDFL Team of the Year should reflect accurately on the best 22 players in 2010. Whether they played interleague or not shouldn't matter. For example, in 40 years time, when they are compiling a best ever RDFL team from 2000-2049, this year's team of the year may be used to judge how players performed. For example, there's no doubt big AJ should be lining up at full forward. Name the RDFL team of the year at the Bowen Medal night, but just don't make a big song and dance about it. Then give medals or trophys or guernseys etc to our interleague players. Simple enough, I reckon.

You may just find that it was introduced to reward the better players in the comp after the interleague collapsed.
Mix it up, interleague is the team of the year, lets create a team of the decade 2000-2010

Team of the decade has to be 2000-2009 or 2001-2010. This is a rough crack at what it could look like.

B: Stuart Stevenson, Warren Kairns, Leigh Irwin.
HB: Damien Niki, Jason Allen, Linton Kemp.
C: Leigh McInerney, Shaun Sims, Marty Lakey.
HF: Simon Choate, Alistair Meldrum, Heath Wadden.
F: Mick Allen, Lee James, Mark Dipietro.
R: Jeremy Jose, Matt Robertson, Damien Choate.
I: Brian Wheelahan, Ryan Connellan, Mark McInerney, Brydon Morgan.

No doubt heaps of players missed, particularly defenders and players from the 2001-2003 era. Would love to see a few other posters have a crack.

Team of the decade has to be 2000-2009 or 2001-2010. This is a rough crack at what it could look like.

No doubt heaps of players missed, particularly defenders and players from the 2001-2003 era. Would love to see a few other posters have a crack.

Love your work!!

Mark Strack???

I actually disagree. I think the RDFL Team of the Year should reflect accurately on the best 22 players in 2010. Whether they played interleague or not shouldn't matter. For example, in 40 years time, when they are compiling a best ever RDFL team from 2000-2049, this year's team of the year may be used to judge how players performed. For example, there's no doubt big AJ should be lining up at full forward. Name the RDFL team of the year at the Bowen Medal night, but just don't make a big song and dance about it. Then give medals or trophys or guernseys etc to our interleague players. Simple enough, I reckon.

Yeah I agree pal. The Team of the year HAS to be the best 22 going around this season otherwise the concept will lose all credability & open it up to ridicule. The two issues here (Inter-League & Team of the Year) are separate entities & should not be linked in any way, as a criteria point or guide line, only as a point of reference........ perhaps.

a pretty good effort there matt. I would have strack in there tho. And take out Lakey. He would make the previous decade, but not the same player in this one

a pretty good effort there matt. I would have strack in there tho. And take out Lakey. He would make the previous decade, but not the same player in this one

His 2004 season to lead Lancefield to a premiership nearly qualifies him! But you're probably right, could find plenty of other mids/wingers to fill his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also heard that Riddell were not allowed the 4 points after the weekend, for what reason i was not sure of, but heard tonight that they have been reinstated.
So there cant have been too much in it.

Thank you blue bagger. A simple question has now been answered. (sort of) by a simple answer.

Maybe I went over board a little bit. (but it adds color)

Just after the truth and the Australian way. lol

Could not agree more... Interleague side is NOT the team of the year, but with interleague games there should be NO team of the year.

Only credit i can give you for that team Matt is that you had a go. Your Lancefield/Romsey bias is particularly obvious:

Irwin has played 1 year of good rdfl footy.
Lakey did the same in this period.
Stevenson has always been honest but team of the decade.... please!
Dipietro.... see 'Stevenson'.
D Choate had very little impact in RDFL.
Morgan had a few good games a year for 3-4 years.
The 2 Grubs have been solid but never spectacular.

I know your comeback will be something along the lines of.... why dont you have a go, but i dont have the time to do it justice. I will throw up some names you have overlooked though.

M Strack - best small defender by a long way.
C Collins - played enough footy and almost always quality to deserve spot.
K Ng - Was underrated defender for most of decade and played in 02 and 07 flags.
A Johnstone - Woodend capt from 03 - 08, b&f winner, premiership, now having impact at Macedon.
S Ruane - super consistent, tough and league medal winner.
D tyquin - was very consistent player for burra thru most of decade until age finally caught up with him.
J Belleville - One of best midfielders in one of best teams throughout decade.
D Besanko - classy small forward who has been part of many premiership teams.
A Christianson - Joined cats about middle of decade and has been most durable and consistent player.
D Fowler - Been around forever and always been one of wallans best. Went to woodend for half season in 02 and helped them to a flag.

Only credit i can give you for that team Matt is that you had a go. Your Lancefield/Romsey bias is particularly obvious:

Irwin has played 1 year of good rdfl footy.
Lakey did the same in this period.
Stevenson has always been honest but team of the decade.... please!
Dipietro.... see 'Stevenson'.
D Choate had very little impact in RDFL.
Morgan had a few good games a year for 3-4 years.
The 2 Grubs have been solid but never spectacular.

I know your comeback will be something along the lines of.... why dont you have a go, but i dont have the time to do it justice. I will throw up some names you have overlooked though.

M Strack - best small defender by a long way.
C Collins - played enough footy and almost always quality to deserve spot.
K Ng - Was underrated defender for most of decade and played in 02 and 07 flags.
A Johnstone - Woodend capt from 03 - 08, b&f winner, premiership, now having impact at Macedon.
S Ruane - super consistent, tough and league medal winner.
D tyquin - was very consistent player for burra thru most of decade until age finally caught up with him.
J Belleville - One of best midfielders in one of best teams throughout decade.
D Besanko - classy small forward who has been part of many premiership teams.
A Christianson - Joined cats about middle of decade and has been most durable and consistent player.
D Fowler - Been around forever and always been one of wallans best. Went to woodend for half season in 02 and helped them to a flag.

Thankyou. I whacked my side together in about 90 seconds basically on gut feeling.

Kar Weng Ng should def be in the side, as should Collins. Irwin has played 3 good seasons in the RDFL - he was part of Lancefield's premiership side as a teenager in 2004.

Obviously Strack should be in the team - massive oversight. Not sure about Christiansen. Good player but far from great.

Stevenson can't kick the ball to save himself, and that's by his own admission, but for eight years out of those 10 he was Lancefield's most reliable backman and led from the front in at least half a dozen finals.

Damien Choate was an absolute star both in the EDFL and RDFL. Retired earlier than his brother but that would have been about 2006. Was brilliant for quite a few years on his return to Tigerland.

A lot of people forget how good Dipietro was. Is well and truly over the hill now but still racks them up in the ressies. For Romsey he was a great in and under midfielder and had great footy nous. Very underrated IMO.

Thankyou. I whacked my side together in about 90 seconds basically on gut feeling.

Kar Weng Ng should def be in the side, as should Collins. Irwin has played 3 good seasons in the RDFL - he was part of Lancefield's premiership side as a teenager in 2004.

Obviously Strack should be in the team - massive oversight. Not sure about Christiansen. Good player but far from great.

Stevenson can't kick the ball to save himself, and that's by his own admission, but for eight years out of those 10 he was Lancefield's most reliable backman and led from the front in at least half a dozen finals.

Damien Choate was an absolute star both in the EDFL and RDFL. Retired earlier than his brother but that would have been about 2006. Was brilliant for quite a few years on his return to Tigerland.

A lot of people forget how good Dipietro was. Is well and truly over the hill now but still racks them up in the ressies. For Romsey he was a great in and under midfielder and had great footy nous. Very underrated IMO.

Bladey get a look in mate ? 3 or 4 Premierships & a Bowen has to count for something I would think ? :rolleyes:

It has created some interesting conversation this topic.. The reality is that it will always be a side of who the individual was lucky enough to witness... When Matt was a young Lancefield boy, some of those guys would have been idols, so of course he would favor them, everyone would do the same.

Would be interesting to see what people would say is the qualifications for such a team?? Would one year in the competition qualify you and if it did, would you be deserving of a spot??? If you were able to do it for the past 5 years instead, would that make the task more difficult? So many questions could be asked of any attempt to do a team of the decade...

Just a few thoughts...

George out!

I better put my two bobs worth in regarding the team of the year. I have to name my best player from the 10 opposition sides and my best team, not including players from my team. Obviously players like Jamesy and certainly some key players from riddell and kilmore would be walk up starts for the RDFL team of the year going by their form to date. And to leave these key players out of the team of the year just wont make any sense,
HOWEVER, Barring the two or three players that had genuine reasons why they couldnt represent the rdfl against the southern league, The rest of the players eligable that decided not to play for whatever reason basically eliminated their opportunity to truly be a part of the rdfl team of the year. Where were these players when all the other willing players had to stomach a 30 minute presentation of medals and crap to the victorious southern footy league. I have no doubt that if the best rdfl side was representing the league that day, we would have won. The true team of the year IS and should be the 24 guys that represented the league on that day. So my thoughts are, scrap the team of the year and announce the interleague players as our best side. HOPEFULLY in ten years time when some of the players and coaches that think they are too good for interleague, look back and realise that playing club footy is their only claim to fame!:eek:

^^^^^ Well said mongrel. I persoanally believe that the RDFL team of the year is the 22 blokes that do a lap of honour at Lancefield in about 10 weeks time. But hey what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back