RDT SD - Still Not In High Definition Due To Technical Difficulties

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense intended, but why are NFL players so athletically gifted? As opposed to Australian football that seems (from my uninformed view) to require a higher and more rounded athletic ability?
Speed, Size, Leap, Agility all required for NFL (plus more I probably cant think of off the top of my head)
Endurance is the only great attribute AFL players have over NFL

NFL is a far more professional game than AFL too, which may explain some of the need for players to be more athletic. It's a billion dollar business, where a player can be delisted mid season for missing a pass or having a bad game
I've always been surprised that over here we are far to willing to right of things like poor kicking etc..

Speed, Size, Leap, Agility all required for NFL (plus more I probably cant think of off the top of my head)
Endurance is the only great attribute AFL players have over NFL

NFL is a far more professional game than AFL too, which may explain some of the need for players to be more athletic. It's a billion dollar business, where a player can be delisted mid season for missing a pass or having a bad game
I've always been surprised that over here we are far to willing to right of things like poor kicking etc..

Fair enough, but surely our elite footballers rate fairly highly. Speed, size, strength, hand skills on both sides, foot skills on both feet, vision, agility it goes on and on.

I get that I just don't understand NFL at all, but our broad range of athletic ability and skill set surely rates pretty highly.

No offense intended, but why are NFL players so athletically gifted? As opposed to Australian football that seems (from my uninformed view) to require a higher and more rounded athletic ability?
Their skill set is relatively stacked in key areas - There is no point to a WR working strength skills to the level that an AFL player might, but their skills in speed, agility, etc is to the extreme of of the scale for team sports.

Not really comparable between the sports.

Their skill set is relatively stacked in key areas - There is no point to a WR working strength skills to the level that an AFL player might, but their skills in speed, agility, etc is to the extreme of of the scale for team sports.

Not really comparable between the sports.

Which is why it semi-annoys me that people just jump on the "NFL athletes are superior athletes" train.

I understand they are pinnacle in key areas, but so are Australian footballers. Whilst having to kick on both feet, handball and run 15km

Fair enough, but surely our elite footballers rate fairly highly. Speed, size, strength, hand skills on both sides, foot skills on both feet, vision, agility it goes on and on.

I get that I just don't understand NFL at all, but our broad range of athletic ability and skill set surely rates pretty highly.
The presence of high end skill sets is relatively rare however. NFL players, many standard players would be 'special talents' athletically in the AFL.

The only comparable position is really TE at times, and even then you have people who are absolutely huge but athletically fr beyond AFL players in most base skill sets. If they trained aerobically with an adequate skill set, they would dominate the AFL player population, if only for volume of population.

The presence of high end skill sets is relatively rare however. NFL players, many standard players would be 'special talents' athletically in the AFL.

The only comparable position is really TE at times, and even then you have people who are absolutely huge but athletically fr beyond AFL players in most base skill sets. If they trained aerobically with an adequate skill set, they would dominate the AFL player population, if only for volume of population.

Is this mainly African Americans, or are the Caucasian athletes just as gifted? Do you have African Americans making up higher percentages of certain positions?

Which is why it semi-annoys me that people just jump on the "NFL athletes are superior athletes" train.

I understand they are pinnacle in key areas, but so are Australian footballers. Whilst having to kick on both feet, handball and run 15km
Kicking, handballing, running 15km are trainable assets. They're skills.

You can't train a person being able to run a 4.4 40m. They're athletic abilities that most AFL players can't live up to.

The standard NFL player is much more athletically gifted than the standard AFL player. As I said, likely due to the fact there is more of them being pumped out. I think it's fair to say, just by looking at the games that the standard is pretty extreme.

Kicking, handballing, running 15km are trainable assets. They're skills.

You can't train a person being able to run a 4.4 40m. They're athletic abilities that most AFL players can't live up to.

The standard NFL player is much more athletically gifted than the standard AFL player. As I said, likely due to the fact there is more of them being pumped out. I think it's fair to say, just by looking at the games that the standard is pretty extreme.

Yeah HE made that point, I was mixing the two, I'm with you now.

And yeah, I guess I just haven't watched enough of it. I see it for small bursts but nothing that really stands out to me. The rest of the time it's standing around high fiving watching refs organise s**t.

I need to watch more, maybe I should buy a season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have mates though that are genetically physically perfect but have zero hand eye skill.

They kick a football like a girl and shoot basketballs like the year 9 nerd. You can tell by the way they pick up a cricket bat or attempt to bowl the ball that they have literally zero natural sporting talent.

So its not really "trainable".

I can literally pick up a ball or bat and be good at it instantly, jump over things, run fast. It's easy and natural. Particularly when on the lamb.

I just don't have the physical attributes.

Dagless has already been through it - NFL players have very refined skill sets. Most players have been playing one position since their junior days. That is years on years on years of working on one particular skill set. They are the absolute elite.

Hayne would struggle in college football IMO, let alone NFL. Having said that, I wish him all the best and I hope he proves me wrong. Would be huge for the sport here in Australia.

He could play cornerback. Any dimwit can play that position
Hardest position in football.
Population would also play a factor, 318 million vs 23 million.
And also the whole college system they have - highly competitive where only the best of the best get through.

AFL players have no idea what it takes to make it in such a comp. #1 draft pick who doesn't live up to it? AFL - Well he was the #1 pick, so must be pretty good, we'll keep playing him lol. NFL - bust, cut, goodbye, done, traded, whatever within 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back