Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yarran would be in our top 3 for the B&F as of right now. Had major injury troubles in 2012 and 2013 but his 2011 had him in AA contention. Will be in the top five for this draft when he retires.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

Good to see Carlton supporters getting behind their man, but the reality is, the majority of non-Carlton supporters wouldn't have Yarran in the top ten of this draft right now. His form is very good and his game-changing style would make a rise quite easy for him, but right now he is no where near Beams, Hannebery, Rockliff, Sloane, Sidebottom, Breust etc.

Yarran would be in our top 3 for the B&F as of right now. Had major injury troubles in 2012 and 2013 but his 2011 had him in AA contention. Will be in the top five for this draft when he retires.

Let's be honest though it's no great feat the way Carlton are traveling. I mean Motlop's a somewhat similar player, finished 5th in Geelong's B&F last year in a far, far better team and you could argue he's not even in the top 10 in this draft.

Yarran's had a very good start to the year but he's going to need to produce for the rest of the season at least before people start putting him back up high in their ratings.

Let's be honest though it's no great feat the way Carlton are traveling. I mean Motlop's a somewhat similar player, finished 5th in Geelong's B&F last year in a far, far better team and you could argue he's not even in the top 10 in this draft.

Yarran's had a very good start to the year but he's going to need to produce for the rest of the season at least before people start putting him back up high in their ratings.
There are a lot more players at Geelong that the opposition have to keep check of before Motlop. Yarran Would only have 1 or 2 players at Carlton above him.

We are 4-5 and Yarran was on a select few who actually tried in the opening rounds. I wouldn't think Motlop is all that similar to Yarran in my opinion.

Agreed that he needs to maintain it.

We are 4-5 and Yarran was on a select few who actually tried in the opening rounds. I wouldn't think Motlop is all that similar to Yarran in my opinion.

Agreed that he needs to maintain it.
Motlop has clearly out performed Yarren. He has to play at this level for an entire year to be even debated.

Motlop has clearly out performed Yarren. He has to play at this level for an entire year to be even debated.

Motlop has had one great year in a top two team and I've never seen him tagged. Yarran was close to AA in 2011 when we had a somewhat decent team on the park.

Turf toe and hamstring injuries hurt Yarran's 2012 and 2013 since it affected his speed and kicking so he hasn't had the opportunity to string consistent seasons together. Regardless I was talking about their respective game styles and roles which aren't that similiar to me.

Its simple.. If you draft a "gun" in the first round (as high as pick #6) you don't use him as trade bait

You could much rather use: Beams, Sidebottom, Sloane, Redden, Hartlett, Shuey & even Rich throughout the guts.
Natanui > Kreuzer and/or Warnock
Watts and Hurley would be more valuable to Carlton right about now as well. They could both either fill a hole down forward or down back in a key position.
At least Carlton draft guns who CAN be used as trade bait, as oppossed to Melbourne who draft #guns who end up being delisted

1. Hannebery
2. Beams
3. Naitanui
4. Sloane
5. Hartlett
6. Sidebottom
7. Shuey
8. Rich
9. Zaharakis
10. Watts

Hill has played much better consistent football over the journey so far than half the players being put up the more recent top 10's.
As if anyone would take Zaharakis or Watts over what Hill has put up over the last 5 years. Rich and Hartlett also extremely debatable and I certainly wouldn't have Shuey's career to date over Hill either.

Hill has played much better consistent football over the journey so far than half the players being put up the more recent top 10's.
As if anyone would take Zaharakis or Watts over what Hill has put up over the last 5 years. Rich and Hartlett also extremely debatable and I certainly wouldn't have Shuey's career to date over Hill either.

Its interesting. If you put Hill in a team with all the other players in the top 10 he would get tagged first every day of the week however its clear he would probably be 5th-7th for his performances so far behind Beams, Sloane, Hannebery, Zaharakis and maybe Hartlett/Rich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its interesting. If you put Hill in a team with all the other players in the top 10 he would get tagged first every day of the week however its clear he would probably be 5th-7th for his performances so far behind Beams, Sloane, Hannebery, Zaharakis and maybe Hartlett/Rich.
I would also tag him first because out of the top 10 he copes with a tag the worst - I would not tag him because he is the best player - he is a long way from that.

I would also tag him first because out of the top 10 he copes with a tag the worst - I would not tag him because he is the best player - he is a long way from that.
This. Coaches have learnt that when choosing who to tag, it needs to be about which will have the greatest impact on stopping the opposition winning. Thus, it's a combination of best player and the one most affected by a tag.

For example, Watson is the bomber's best midfielder but Stanton/Heppell/Zaharakis/Goddard are more susceptible to the tag so these are generally first picked.

1. Rockliff
2. Beams
3. Hannebery
4. Natanui
5. Sloane
6. Hill
7. Yarran
8. Bruest
9. Sidebottom
10. Rich

God that was a weird draft. So many rookies that have become best 22.

Redden has gone to another level this year. Really only had the one bad game if you take out the one where he was almost a late out due to a knee.

Averaging 26 disposals, 6.7 clearances, 12 contested possessions at 75% disposals efficiency. Not up there with the like of Beams and Rockliff but I think he is worthy of a top 10 spot.

Now we just need Richy to hurry up and improve.

Great point and hard to argue against.

What is more important, the fact that Hill would get tagged before the majority of the players on that list or that his stats are weaker?

Dayne Beams
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Hannebery
Rory Sloane
Hamish Hartlett
Daniel Rich
Nic Naitanui
Hayden Ballentyne
Michael Walters
Luke Breust
Michael Hurley
Matt Suckling
Jack Ziebell
Stephen Hill
Chris Yarran
Zac Clarke
David Zaharakis
Jackson Trengove
Ryan Schoenmakers
Steven Motlop
Mike Pyke
Luke Shuey
Jack Redden
Jeff Garlett
Liam Shiels
Nic Suban
Matthew Broadbent
Zac Dawson
Jack Watts
Shane Savage

Motlop has had one great year in a top two team and I've never seen him tagged. Yarran was close to AA in 2011 when we had a somewhat decent team on the park.

Turf toe and hamstring injuries hurt Yarran's 2012 and 2013 since it affected his speed and kicking so he hasn't had the opportunity to string consistent seasons together. Regardless I was talking about their respective game styles and roles which aren't that similiar to me.

That's seriously rewriting history. He didn't make the 40 man squad and only finished 10th in your b&f. Motlop's actually did make the 40 man squad last year.

Also your characterisations of them are very biased. Motlop's 2012 was of similar quality to Yarran's 2011 albeit in very different positions yet you describe Yarran's year as almost AA while you only mention one year from Motlop. You also claim injury as an excuse for Yarran despite him playing 39 games over those 2 years (wasn't he dropped at some point too?). Yet you don't mention that Motlop had 2 busted shoulders and this year has missed a bunch of games because of knee surgery for an injury he carried through last year.

Considering how lightly framed Motlop was when he started and their respective injury histories Yarran should be miles ahead. Instead Motlop has clearly outperformed him. I'm not saying Motlop is some sort of superstar. Arguably he's not in the top 10 from this draft. The point is that Yarran's comfortably behind a guy who many people wouldn't have in their top 10. He needs to perform very well for the rest of this year at least for people to reconsider that and a lot longer for people to have him up near guys like beams and Hannebury. At the moment saying he'll be top 5 just looks like wishful thinking.

Dayne Beams is a genuine GUN. he is underrated, probably because he has been injured a fair bit over his 101 game career. Being picked at #29, geez, collingwood got a bargain. So far in 2014, he has been consistently brilliant, and he absolutely racks the stats up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back