Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's with all these Brisbane supporters talking down Fyfe? Fyfe is clear on top of AFLCA voting despite missing games and was top 10 last year too and B&F in a GF side.

He is also still only 22.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What's with all these Brisbane supporters talking down Fyfe? Fyfe is clear on top of AFLCA voting despite missing games and was top 10 last year too and B&F in a GF side.

not talking him down, hes a great player, rockliff is just better

drummond2fevola

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Claremont Fremantle

Hey, not all of us.

Personally I think Fyfe is the better player.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Fyfe's clearly ahead of Rockliff in my eyes. Love Rocky, possibly my favourite player in the league right now, but in terms of influence on games I think he's behind Beams and Fyfe.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I'd rate him behind, Ablett, Pendelbury, Selwood, Rockliff and equal with Beams. Probably can make a case for anyone of Selwood or Rockliff through to Fyfe as being the 3rd best midfielder in the game imo.

Mar 5, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fyfe's clearly ahead of Rockliff in my eyes. Love Rocky, possibly my favourite player in the league right now, but in terms of influence on games I think he's behind Beams and Fyfe.

Possibly because their teams win more often so more noticable. Every time Brisbane win Rockliff is involved.

Not looking forward to Rockliff at the gabba in a few weeks. He can't be tagged at the moment

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
Possibly because their teams win more often so more noticable. Every time Brisbane win Rockliff is involved.

Not looking forward to Rockliff at the gabba in a few weeks. He can't be tagged at the moment
Would tag Hanley instead of Rockliff in a few weeks. Far more damaging

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Check this guy, he goes for the Blues, Knicks AND Man U :rolleyes:
Please explain to me how the Knicks fit into this fantasy you are writing of me from no information.
The Knicks have Two, repeat, two championships. If i supported the Lakers or Celtics you MAY have a point, but you'd be wrong anyway.

Get ****ed campaigner.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
with out bringing in Bee's Penis's into the topic I think that the year was a bloody good draft.

Beams and Rockliff have their days when they're better than each other.

I am not sure that is the correct pluralisation of a bee's penis?

Would agree though, some days Rocky is better and you'd rather have his work, other days Beams is awesome and you'd rather have his attacking abilities.

Interesting that if you go back nearly a year, some people were saying it was a weak draft.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
so liam jones is a better footballer than tyrone vickery?

and he wouldn't go in the top 30 of the draft, and lynch is a better footballer as well?

The groupthinking that goes on here really is an insult to my intelligence

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Motlop's last 7 weeks have reasserted his spot right up towards the pointy end of this draft. His disposal is elite and among the most damaging in the competition, he's now finding the ball more (averaging 26 touches in the last 7 weeks) and he produces in big moments (see the 2 last quarter goals against Essendon).

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Please explain to me how the Knicks fit into this fantasy you are writing of me from no information.
The Knicks have Two, repeat, two championships. If i supported the Lakers or Celtics you MAY have a point, but you'd be wrong anyway.

Get ****** campaigner.
I don't think you understand lel

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Motlop's last 7 weeks have reasserted his spot right up towards the pointy end of this draft. His disposal is elite and among the most damaging in the competition, he's now finding the ball more (averaging 26 touches in the last 7 weeks) and he produces in big moments (see the 2 last quarter goals against Essendon).
Agreed. For the same reason I have Beams number one I have Motlop right up there. He's never going to get 47 disposals but 27 of Motlop's will hurt just as much. I'd like to see him kick more goals though. Obviously he has the ability to do so, but a few more from the midfield and his stock will really rise.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed. For the same reason I have Beams number one I have Motlop right up there. He's never going to get 47 disposals but 27 of Motlop's will hurt just as much. I'd like to see him kick more goals though. Obviously he has the ability to do so, but a few more from the midfield and his stock will really rise.

He can certainly improve in some areas but his goalkicking is hurt a bit by how we use him. Basically he's Geelong's go to man for ball use. Normally that means getting it just forward of center and using it going inside 50 (6th in inside 50s per game in the league despite having a quiet few weeks first up after injury). But if we're under pressure that can mean going deep into defence and backing his kicking skills or ability to break the lines to get us some real forward momentum. Then when we desperately need a goal he's shifted forward like in the last quarter against Essendon. Because of his ability to attack from anywhere on the ground he'd be in our most important 5 players along with Selwood, Johnson, Taylor and Hawkins. Because of this I doubt he'll ever be a 30 and 2 goals midfielder because he's so useful drifting around the ground to be dangerous wherever he's needed.

Back