Re-sign Clarkson already: Caro says it's done. 3yr extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not worried about Clarko leaving to coach another club. If he steps down as coach I believe it will be for personal reasons. Senior coaching is not the best thing for someones health and Clarko has had his health issues, he has a family and it's not like he has anything to prove.

I still think he will be coaching us next year but you never know

Thought it was more a Stuart Fox issue.....he's been back from leave for a while.

Coach's contract would still need to be approved by the board, with a recommendation (or not) from the CEO.

The abrupt resignation of Newbold would put things on hold until the transition to Garvey is complete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAWTHORN’S five key football department pillars are secure, with Alastair Clarkson agreeing in principle to a new contract extension.

The Hawks on Wednesday extended chief executive Stuart Fox’s contract until 2020, adding three years to a deal set to expire in 2017.

The fine print is all that needs to be finished on a contract for Clarkson, with a salary boost for the game’s most dominant coach.

The Hawks will announce that deal in coming weeks but both parties are comfortable that the key aspects of the contract are done.

Hawthorn’s backroom men, who have generated so much of the club’s incredible success, have also been quietly locked away long-term in the past year.

Football manager Chris Fagan, list manager Graeme Wright and fitness boss Andrew Russell all have multi-year agreements at Hawthorn.

Hawthorn has started informal discussions on a new deal for finals star Jack Gunston, the club’s priority player signing this year.

He has kicked bags of four goals in two of the past three grand finals and will be paid accordingly given his status as the club.

The trio of footballer staffers regularly rebuff attempts from rivals to poach them away and take their skills as well as Hawthorn’s intellectual property.

Clubs inquired about Fagan as a senior coach last year, while Carlton attempted to steal Wright on a five-year deal as a list manager in 2014.

The Hawks believe those five positions are all critical to their premierships and ability to withstand continued setbacks.

Cyril Rioli last December re-signed until 2019, Jarryd Roughead is tied to the club until 2018 and Luke Breust and Grant Birchall are contracted until 2017.

Clarkson will be one of the league’s best-paid coaches but Hawthorn has discounted reports that delays in his negotiations will cost them more money.

The two parties started negotiations last year, parked them as finals arrived, then started them again after he and key executives returned from holidays this year.

While Melbourne’s Paul Roos is rumoured to be paid $1.5 million or more a year, Clarkson clearly deserves to be paid around the $1 million-per-season mark.

He has also been able to pick up healthy premiership bonuses of $200,000 or more in the past three seasons.

His manager James Henderson did not return calls on Wednesday but an announcement is imminent on his contract.

With Clarkson out-of-contract at the end of this season, a two-year extension through to 2019 would seem the most likely outcome.

Acting president Richard Garvey announced Fox’s extension in a letter to members.

“Stuart has been instrumental in delivering growth in all areas of the business including membership, merchandise, sponsorship and collective club profit since 2009,’’ he said.

“I am delighted that we have been able to retain Stuart and I am looking forward to working with him closely to ensure continued financial viability and strong governance of the club.”

The length of any new deal is what would interest me the most.

Does Clarko want short terms due to his health?

Does Clarko want long term as a reward and show of confidence?

Does the club want short term to keep a check on things?

Does the club want long term to sure up the best coach in the land and allow a rebuild ?

Interesting reading in there that Fagan was sought out to coach other teams. I wonder if he is an option to take over from Clarko should he ever want to move on?

Interesting reading in there that Fagan was sought out to coach other teams. I wonder if he is an option to take over from Clarko should he ever want to move on?
Could only see him doing it as a caretaker role (and even then more likely one of the assistants would do that).

If he had aspirations of being a senior coach then surely he'd be one by now.

I think he has a very good Yin and Yang thing going with Clarko.

Oh no
it's been almost 12 hrs since that article was published & still no announcement from the club.

Something's wrong.

As soon as Newbold leaves the leaks start.
Someone leaked this as the club wants to put pressure on Clarko as he refuses to sign the contract until he's paid more than Roos.

I've been told this from a very unreliable sauce.
Or I made it up so I could fit in with the pessimists on here

HAWTHORN’S five key football department pillars are secure, with Alastair Clarkson agreeing in principle to a new contract extension.

While Melbourne’s Paul Roos is rumoured to be paid $1.5 million or more a year, Clarkson clearly deserves to be paid around the $1 million-per-season mark.

“I am delighted that we have been able to retain Stuart and I am looking forward to working with him closely to ensure continued financial viability and strong governance of the club.”

Paul Roos LOL.

The football world is truly stone cold bonkers!

Good question.....on that topic how would Ratts go as a senior coach to succeed AC?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back