List Mgmt. 2016 re-signing mission accomplished!

Remove this Banner Ad

How much of that unrest, you have to wonder, is because we hardly win any games? I hate to say it, but if we don't win that many more this year even though we have a horror start to the fixture, how quickly do the instigators of unrest turn back around to being troublemakers again?
Possibly. I suspect though that the problem was more complex than simple win/loss. I think there was a problem between some players and the coach and the captain. I think that certain players didn't really understand what it takes to create a successful team. I'm not convinced we were doing enough to develop/support the younger players. Above all, I get the impression that not enough people at the club had confidence that things were heading in the right direction.

Winning will make a massive difference to the mood around the club. But we need to build a culture that withstands poor form. That is going to be hard work coming from a position of weakness but that's why getting influencers like Zorko on board is so important.

"Zorko was a central figure in rumours of unrest at the club last season. Although the Lions insisted he had not fallen out with either his captain Tom Rockliff or his coach Justin Leppitsch — there was acknowledgment he had been upset at times during the turbulent season."

Zorko strikes me as a real influencer at the club. He also doesn't seem to be the type to follow blindly. If the club has managed to turn him around, I think it bodes incredibly well for how the club is tracking.

As I said on the Leppa contract thread, the thought of a divided club still scares me. There was a lot of s**t getting thrown around behind the scenes last year and that is not good for the club and, further, was a really poor reflection on the leaders like Leppa and Rocky.

However, if someone like Zorko is buying in, then I think it is evidence that something is going right. Thank **** for that because another year of disunity could have had massive repercussions for our retention strategy.

Our culture would be really delicate right now. Getting the long term commitment of a Zorko would be a massive boost.
How much of that unrest, you have to wonder, is because we hardly win any games? I hate to say it, but if we don't win that many more this year even though we have a horror start to the fixture, how quickly do the instigators of unrest turn back around to being troublemakers again?
when a team has been down in the bottom 4 of the ladder for as long as we have hard questions have to be asked of players, coaches, administrators etc. this will inevitably lead to an amount of unrest and dissatisfaction within the group as they ponder their future in the AFL system. since the go home 5 off season a large part of the media speculation re. unrest in our playing group has been exaggerated to go along with this player disharmony narrative. our list turnover since then i would suggest has been no more than you would have expected from a club that has been down for so long and has publicly stated they were going to rebuild the club, right from the boardroom down. with people like swan, matthews, schwab, lambert and austin now on the team i would say that rebuild is very nearly complete.
leigh matthews once said, (paraphrasing) success covers over any unrest or player conflict but it still happens to a certain extent, as soon as that success falls away all the cracks come into the open. ie. aker.

a large part of the media speculation re. unrest in our playing group has been exaggerated to go along with this player disharmony narrative.
I don't know if that's entirely correct. It wasn't necessarily at mutiny stage but, from what I've heard, things weren't good at all last season.

I don't know if that's entirely correct. It wasn't necessarily at mutiny stage but, from what I've heard, things weren't good at all last season.
POBT, you may have more informed and reliable information than me on this issue, i don't know. but all i have to go by is the mainstream media BF and general gossip amongst fans who i would say in the main base their opinions on the mainstream media. i have a deep mistrust of a very large proportion of mainstream media due to their history of embellishment, exaggeration and sensationalism.

I have continuing concerns about the harmony in the group and it is frustrating that it is very hard to get a read on how good or bad morale is. Reports from training this year indicate a significant improvement which is positive but preseason predictions are almost invariably over optimistic.

Having said that we have been ordinary for a long period of time and if the coach and captain challenged the team/individuals about their commitment to success, I believe they were right to do so. I think the debate is about whether they had the skills to challenge players in a way that lifted their performance rather than disengaged them. And you have to assume that some players aren't happy to be challenged by anyone no matter how skilful.

I have observed in other situations surfacing issue can lead to a lot of raw emotion, but if it is worked through competently it can considerably improved the situation. I am hoping this might be the case at the Lions. We have lost Redden and Aish. If we get through the next trade period with the loss of only one other "major" player I think we can assume Rocky and Leppa have done OK. And they are continually learning and improving.

Here's hoping for more major signings soon.

Last edited:
Rumours have spread over the past couple of days that all three of Zorko, Rich and Mayes are close to re-signing. Who knows how accurate these rumours are but it would be huge if we had all three signed up before Round 1.
I read the story about Lions being confident on Zorko, but hadn't heard anything on Mayes or Rich except from Jon Ralph (who I trust as far as I can throw him) any other stories on them at all?

Rich tipped to leave end of year, Mayes was nearly out the door and Zorko a main figure around the club who wasnt happy last year. Sign these 3 and it will be a massive showing of the club turning things around and having a unified playing list.

POBT, you may have more informed and reliable information than me on this issue, i don't know. but all i have to go by is the mainstream media BF and general gossip amongst fans who i would say in the main base their opinions on the mainstream media. i have a deep mistrust of a very large proportion of mainstream media due to their history of embellishment, exaggeration and sensationalism.
I would ordinarily agree but the likes of Hammo were a little closer to the mark than they usually are. Not suggesting it was all doom and gloom but there were definitely issues.

I'm really happy to hear independent reports that this is a much happier group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would the club openly talk about contracts extensions that weren't even being entertained by the managers? Absolute drongos.
The club actually only said they had preliminary discussions and hadn't even discussed years or salary. This whole 5 year thing was media driven, not club driven.

Swann said "how do you know what to offer a player like schache? Do you off 3, 4 or even a 5 year deal?" This was then spun by media to be lions offer 5 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back