No Oppo Supporters Re-signing Tex, Danger and Sloane *** Crows Only ***

Your thoughts on Dangerfield?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. At the moment its unfair for kids outside of Victoria, where there is only about a 10% chance of being recruited by your home state, compared to Victorian kids that have 55% of being recruited in your home state. Its prejudicial as to why non-Victorian kids have to endure potential hardship of relocating.

Mind you its not all that simplistic. Majority of kids are selected from Victoria in the draft.

Cast your mind back...its the Vics who wanted a national competition. Now they have to live with it.

Homesickness my dee diddly dick.

When you are 19 or 20 maybe but not when you are grown up. My wife had to move with me 3 times because of job promotions starting when she was an honours student at uni when she was 20. She adjusted pretty quickly each time ( the first three months are the hardest) til our third move had us living in South Yarra which we stayed for 5 years. My wife had to move universities each time we moved but we still kept in touch with old friends via email and caught up with holidays.

Our last move was when my wife was offered a role at a private college for sheer stupid money ( she had obtained a teaching degree whilst she was bored doing post doc research), which meant I had to step out from my role to a job I hadn't done in 20 years, once again, moving to a place I, nor my wife knew anyone. Once again, first three months were the hardest but one day when we were driving home from visiting relatives I saw a familiar landmark and thought "I'm home".

I just don't buy into all the "Mardi is homesick" talk. You get used to being away from your old friends and outside of your family, you tend to find your relationship is a little weird because you both act like you were before you left, the experiences have stopped at that point. So it is great for a catch up for a week but it just isn't the same as it was back in the day because you both have grown separately, which is not to say that you aren't still good friends or don't enjoy each others company, it is just things aren't quite the same.

Email. s**t we didn't have email when I moving around not till the last move. My wife had to sit down and write letter every week. :)

+1

Laughable to be honest. Are we going to pick apart every minuscule comment that Danger makes between now and until he makes his decision public FFS.:rolleyes:

Danger bought a cat this weekend, Im worried. :confused:

Bloody hell, did he. I wasn't aware of that. Next there will be rumours that he bought a dog. Unbelievable

Homesickness - had a 20something young lady report to work on Thursday out here, first time out of Adelaide - she lasted until lunch then got on the Friday morning's bus - it means different things to different people some cope some don't.
But is it fair to compare that scenario to someone who will be earning big bucks. I mean if I was earning $50,000 it would be easier to pack up and leave versus earning $200,000. You want the big money you have to sacrifice stuff as well.

Last edited:
I doubt it. But it is an upgrade on the old RAH.
I understand they will close the old hospital. My understanding is that the RAH is too small. Then I was told the new hospital will have less beds. Why would they do that. They should keep both of them. If its like Brisbane we have such long waiting list. A smaller hospital will only make it worse.

But is it fair to compare that scenario to someone who will be earning big bucks. I mean if I was earning $50,000 it would be easier to pack up and leave versus earning $200,000. You want the big money you have to sacrifice stuff as well.

How easy do you think it was for Boyd to accept the Bulldogs offer? Im sure the easiest of his life.

A million dollar contract per year - return home and set up the rest of your life and that of your childrens. No brainer really.

"Rah rah bogan rah" whatever. There was a total shift in emphasis under Dunstan from infrastructure development and growth to pet projects like the arts.

We had already dropped the ball prior to the state bank collapse.

Case in point, the MATS project. This was going to see a comprehensive public works transport construction project to develop Adelaide for future growth and was passed by the government in 1969. It involved a subway system linking the rail lines so the train station wouldn't be a dead end terminus with all the resulting inefficiency and delays but rather a through flow system like most world class cities have. It also involved construction of North-South freeway from Noarlunga to Salisbury, a NE freeway to Modbury, a Port freeway, and freeways linking the north-south freeway to the SE freeway and the port freeway with the NE freeway. It was all with a view to the projected growth of Adelaide (which at that time was still seen as a major city being bigger than Perth and Brisbane).

Dunstan was against urban growth. He shelved the plan when he came to power in 1970 even though much of the land for the corridors had already been acquired. Instead of Adelaide growing he preferred to build the Monarto satellite city. We all know how that ended. On the land for the proposed subway station he built his festival centre as a symbol of his vision. Meanwhile Melbourne went ahead with their 1969 MTS plan and have remained a modern, growing metropolis with all the employment opportunities that go along with that. The rest is history.

So yeah I blame him. We were ticking along nicely up to that point. The 80s was the coup de grace.

The MATS Project was a Playford platform that people largely hated at that time. With a change of government it was never going to stay, especially as it would have carved up Norwood, which was Dunstan's seat, that it was billions of dollars of expense and everyone thought it would mean LA style overpasses.

Monarto was misguided, sure. And considering Adelaide has still seen a crazy amount of urban sprawl and not become the Euro-style city with urban density meaning focused infrastructure - some type of increased transport infrastructure needed to happen earlier.

But you compare it to Melbourne, which has an art centre, national gallery, ballet and three theatre buildings, five commercial Theatres, a contemporary dance company and two concert halls all within five minutes walk of their central train station.

Historically, the Centres of culture are the Centres of business. Dunstan wanting Adelaide to be a sophisticated, cosmopolitan city was well worth it. He transformed indigenous rights, women's rights, environmental law, gay rights, social equality, multiculturalism, removed the death penalty - he made Adelaide over to be a modern city.

Should he have whacked a few freeways in? Probably. He certainly should have realized the dramatically falling birth rates and declining population growth and immigration were huge issues.

But you're speaking of one of history's great social reformers. Investing in culture was actually something that could have significantly helped grow the economy. Roads are important, too - but the declining relevance of Adelaide in the last 30 years is hardly due to a premier building an arts centre.

Not off topic at all.

We need to increase the infrastructure in this state to keep Paddy here.

I have heard Paddy is a big fan of subways, freeways and desal plants. Not to mention his fascination with modern architecture.

Yeah its just all the NTTAWWTs who like things like arts and we all know there aren't any of those in AFL.
AFC's current predicament is all Dunstan's fault. Bastard.

The MATS Project was a Playford platform that people largely hated at that time. With a change of government it was never going to stay, especially as it would have carved up Norwood, which was Dunstan's seat, that it was billions of dollars of expense and everyone thought it would mean LA style overpasses.

Monarto was misguided, sure. And considering Adelaide has still seen a crazy amount of urban sprawl and not become the Euro-style city with urban density meaning focused infrastructure - some type of increased transport infrastructure needed to happen earlier.

But you compare it to Melbourne, which has an art centre, national gallery, ballet and three theatre buildings, five commercial Theatres, a contemporary dance company and two concert halls all within five minutes walk of their central train station.

Historically, the Centres of culture are the Centres of business. Dunstan wanting Adelaide to be a sophisticated, cosmopolitan city was well worth it. He transformed indigenous rights, women's rights, environmental law, gay rights, social equality, multiculturalism, removed the death penalty - he made Adelaide over to be a modern city.

Should he have whacked a few freeways in? Probably. He certainly should have realized the dramatically falling birth rates and declining population growth and immigration were huge issues.

But you're speaking of one of history's great social reformers. Investing in culture was actually something that could have significantly helped grow the economy. Roads are important, too - but the declining relevance of Adelaide in the last 30 years is hardly due to a premier building an arts centre.

The hills connector that ran through Norwood was already put on hold for further consultation before he was elected. NIMBYs were crying that it would turn Norwood into some kind of LA ghetto, which was of course a nonsense. The project was going to go ahead with or without it. It wasn't a central plank.

Yes you can have both arts and growth but he was a soap box populist with great visions for society but no idea about the economic fundamentals that underpin it. He concentrated too much on social reforms and the performing arts and completely took his eye off the ball in terms of securing growth for the future. Which is what this is all about. We're not appealing to young people because we don't have the career opportunities. Skipping around in leotards at the Dunstan Playhouse might be fun but a job prospect after uni is where its at.

In turn the constant drain of our most qualified graduates, the cream of each generation, to the east coast in search of opportunities means other young people don't want to stay because there is a lack of vibrancy. A lack of young leaders who set the scene. Its a vicious cycle that has led us here...to a footy forum where we bemoan how kids from the east coast don't want to stay here because its a bit like a large nursing home with no infrastructure. Dunstan's anti-growth policies consigned Adelaide to small town status from being Australia's third city. The others flew past us while we were picking fluff out of our visionary belly button.

Anyway, I still blame Dunstan and we've probably derailed the thread enough.

I've moved all over Australia for my work and my dad almost passed away just recently. I've been away for 6 years and I do miss Adelaide and am trying to get back there. If I had the option career wise to not have to take a pay cut I'd go back without hesitation. But, I'm unhappy in my job and lifestyle here and obviously want to be around my dad as he's lost to dementia and in a nursing home. I really enjoy getting back to Adelaide for a few days whenever I can. If I didn't have the issue with my father and I was enjoying my job here in Perth I think I'd be fine with living away from Adelaide and getting back regularly. I'm a professional and I'm required to live interstate and I accept that. Football players on huge salaries should accept that's part of their life for maybe ten years and just get on with it knowing that when they retire or even at the end part of their career that they'll be back in their home state. I enjoy experiencing other parts of the country and consider it very boring to live in the same place year after year. It's a sacrifice they need to make for what is really a short time and they're compensated very very well and get to play the game they love. They have nothing to whinge about. I think footballers these days have too much power due to free agency and they want their cake and eat it too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's just say that Dangerfield does go to Geelong which I hope he doesnt happen. But wouldn't we be able to get a high draft pick in return from Geelong if that is the case or possibly a player that would satisfy us, its only fair I reckon that we don't lose Dangerfield for nothing.

I've moved all over Australia for my work and my dad almost passed away just recently. I've been away for 6 years and I do miss Adelaide and am trying to get back there. If I had the option career wise to not have to take a pay cut I'd go back without hesitation. But, I'm unhappy in my job and lifestyle here and obviously want to be around my dad as he's lost to dementia and in a nursing home. I really enjoy getting back to Adelaide for a few days whenever I can. If I didn't have the issue with my father and I was enjoying my job here in Perth I think I'd be fine with living away from Adelaide and getting back regularly. I'm a professional and I'm required to live interstate and I accept that. Football players on huge salaries should accept that's part of their life for maybe ten years and just get on with it knowing that when they retire or even at the end part of their career that they'll be back in their home state. I enjoy experiencing other parts of the country and consider it very boring to live in the same place year after year. It's a sacrifice they need to make for what is really a short time and they're compensated very very well and get to play the game they love. They have nothing to whinge about. I think footballers these days have too much power due to free agency and they want their cake and eat it too.
I'm sorry for your situation but couldn't your argument be turned around as an argument as to why danger should leave. We're all only here for a finite period so we should maximise the time we get to spend with our loved ones. If he is fortunate to be in an industry where he can get a high paying job close to family and friends the good luck to him?

Don't get me wrong, as a fan I will be devastated if he leaves.

The hills connector that ran through Norwood was already put on hold for further consultation before he was elected. NIMBYs were crying that it would turn Norwood into some kind of LA ghetto, which was of course a nonsense. The project was going to go ahead with or without it. It wasn't a central plank.

Yes you can have both arts and growth but he was a soap box populist with great visions for society but no idea about the economic fundamentals that underpin it. He concentrated too much on social reforms and the performing arts and completely took his eye off the ball in terms of securing growth for the future. Which is what this is all about. We're not appealing to young people because we don't have the career opportunities. Skipping around in leotards at the Dunstan Playhouse might be fun but a job prospect after uni is where its at.

In turn the constant drain of our most qualified graduates, the cream of each generation, to the east coast in search of opportunities means other young people don't want to stay because there is a lack of vibrancy. A lack of young leaders who set the scene. Its a vicious cycle that has led us here...to a footy forum where we bemoan how kids from the east coast don't want to stay here because its a bit like a large nursing home with no infrastructure. Dunstan's anti-growth policies consigned Adelaide to small town status from being Australia's third city. The others flew past us while we were picking fluff out of our visionary belly button.

Anyway, I still blame Dunstan and we've probably derailed the thread enough.

This is actually an interesting conversation, but maybe better suited to happening over a beer than in this thread.

Personally, I still feel there's a lot of truth in Richard Florida's books on creative economies - that you need cultural assets and progressive social policies if you want to attract 21st century businesses and workers. And I don't think road assets keep people in a city.

But it's a subjective discussion, and one for another place.

******* poor people. Why can't they just be born rich?
Yep way to crack a tanty.

That isn't what a was referring to. It's like the "free" tram.

Someone is paying for it, but at a $0 cost it fudges the numbers to what real demand is.

I'm all for universal care and making sure everyone has access to it.

thats the problem with today's society, adult conversations are impossible because people would rather close their ears and yell.

Yep way to crack a tanty.

That isn't what a was referring to. It's like the "free" tram.

Someone is paying for it, but at a $0 cost it fudges the numbers to what real demand is.

I'm all for universal care and making sure everyone has access to it.

thats the problem with today's society, adult conversations are impossible because people would rather close their ears and yell.

Actually, that's precisely what you were doing. Glib catch phrases born out of an ideological obsession.

But hey, you want 'real debate' and 'adult conversations'.

Actually, that's precisely what you were doing. Glib catch phrases born out of an ideological obsession.

But hey, you want 'real debate' and 'adult conversations'.
No that's not what I'm doing.

Do your self a favour, never assume you know what another person is thinking, you end up looking and sounding like a complete w***er.

No that's not what I'm doing.

Do your self a favour, never assume you know what another person is thinking, you end up looking and sounding like a complete ******.

Pfft, I can do that whether I'm assuming or not. :)

Finally after 154 pages someone brought up the elephant in the room that we have all been avoiding...

Danger will leave because of a lack of infrastructure in Adelaide brought on by Dunstans focus on gay rights in the 70's.

Im just glad some brave soul finally had the guts to say what we were all thinking.

:p

Finally after 154 pages someone brought up the elephant in the room that we have all been avoiding...

Danger will leave because of a lack of infrastructure in Adelaide brought on by Dunstans focus on gay rights in the 70's.

Im just glad some brave soul finally had the guts to say what we were all thinking.

:p

Danger will leave because he doesn't want to see blokes in pink shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back