Not open for further replies.

Roo Lives Again

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
One question that needs to be asked. Would the bottom 10 teams (as Cats should finish in the 8 in 2015) draft Dangerfield to their Club if available via the PSD?

Remember Dangerfield cannot openly say NO to other Clubs, non-VIC teams are less likely to roll the dice, but a Victorian team like a Carlton or Richmond will definitely take the chance IMO.

So therefore the threat and danger for Dangerfield is that he could end up going to any Victorian team if we dont come to terms with the Cats.

Cats should be prepared to offer us either a first rounder and a player or a first and 2nd rounders.

Yes but it's also hard to negotiate when they know if Paddy goes to the PSD we lose our compo.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Where has Vader been?
Still around, just not spending as much time on BigFooty as I used to. Work is busy and I now have other life priorities that restrict the time I can spend on BigFooty.

Was there something you particularly wanted me to look at, or comment on?

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Still around, just not spending as much time on BigFooty as I used to. Work is busy and I now have other life priorities that restrict the time I can spend on BigFooty.

Was there something you particularly wanted me to look at, or comment on?

Nope, just have not read any of your comments for a long time.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Frawley - demons would have been risking pick 2 and Hawks had just won the flag, so their best pick on offer was 18 unless they traded out a star.
Frawley was an unrestricted FA, so Melbourne never even had the option of matching the offer he received. That said, in receiving pick #2 they made out like bandits. Given the compensation, I doubt they would have even contemplated matching the offer (assuming the was restricted, which he wasn't).

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Frawley was an unrestricted FA, so Melbourne never even had the option of matching the offer he received. That said, in receiving pick #2 they made out like bandits. Given the compensation, I doubt they would have even contemplated matching the offer (assuming the was restricted, which he wasn't).

Didn't realise that. You'd think Goddard would have been close to UFA as well then.

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still not sold on keeping Danger. He is amazing, no doubt about that. But after last year with his terrible disposal efficiency, poor goal accuracy, and trying to do everything on his own too often, I dont know if we would be better playing as a team of 22, or a team of 21 and a small one man army who can do amazing things, but lacks the icing on the cake - the goal accuracy and disposal efficiency.

I think Hawthorn looked to Buddy too often, maybe we look to Danger too much?

If Danger leaves, we would have a spot in the 22 for M Crouch, plus a reasonably high pick that could be used to trade / draft that tall defender we need.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Didn't realise that. You'd think Goddard would have been close to UFA as well then.
Someone, might have been AFC979810, provided a list of all the players to have left as FA - and whether they were restricted or unrestricted.

There really weren't any valid comparisons to Dangerfield's situation. There were a few where the losing club were unable/unwilling to match the offer the player received (Goddard, Franklin). Most clubs received compensation that was reasonably close to fair. It's unlikely that Dangerfield will receive an offer that Adelaide can't/won't match - and he's worth considerably more than the Round 1 compensation pick we'd receive if we allowed him to walk as a FA.

Assuming he decides to leave (which is looking more likely by the day), I still think that the most likely scenario is as follows:
  1. Dangerfield receives offers from multiple clubs (probably Geelong & Collingwood) and decides which offer he prefers.
  2. Adelaide matches the offer.
  3. Adelaide trades with Dangerfield's preferred club, receiving better compensation than the FA system would have offered.

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
Someone, might have been AFC979810, provided a list of all the players to have left as FA - and whether they were restricted or unrestricted.

There really weren't any valid comparisons to Dangerfield's situation. There were a few where the losing club were unable/unwilling to match the offer the player received (Goddard, Franklin). Most clubs received compensation that was reasonably close to fair. It's unlikely that Dangerfield will receive an offer that Adelaide can't/won't match - and he's worth considerably more than the Round 1 compensation pick we'd receive if we allowed him to walk as a FA.

Assuming he decides to leave (which is looking more likely by the day), I still think that the most likely scenario is as follows:
  1. Dangerfield receives offers from multiple clubs (probably Geelong & Collingwood) and decides which offer he prefers.
  2. Adelaide matches the offer.
  3. Adelaide trades with Dangerfield's preferred club, receiving better compensation than the FA system would have offered.

Agreed. Providing he doesn't just sign with us midyear.

I'd throw Hawthorn in the mix as well considering some of their aging mids (Mitchell 32, Burgoyne 32, Hodge 30, Lewis 28).

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
Just on those clubs (Hawks, Collingwood and Geelong). They would ALL take Danger in the PSD before the other had a chance. Even if not to stop their direct competitors from having him.

The publicity he brings is massive. List and marketing managers across Victoria will be furiously masturbating at the idea of picking him up with a rubbish PSD pick.

Matching is the only move for the AFC.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Agreed. Providing he doesn't just sign with us midyear.
That was a stated assumption.
I'd throw Hawthorn in the mix as well considering some of their aging mids (Mitchell 32, Burgoyne 32, Hodge 30, Lewis 28).
Possible. Depends on how many players they lose to retirement this year. Nothing would surprise me, given their penchant for signing FA and/or trading for players, when they should be having salary cap problems of their own.

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Just on those clubs (Hawks, Collingwood and Geelong). They would ALL take Danger in the PSD before the other had a chance. Even if not to stop their direct competitors from having him.

The publicity he brings is massive. List and marketing managers across Victoria will be furiously masturbating at the idea of picking him up with a rubbish PSD pick.

Sam Mitchell was on SEN last week. Explained how teams that have had a culture of not overpaying players to keep everyone around for the sake of the team can't bring in a new player at significantly more than what the best players have been paid at that club, without losing some of thopse players the next year (or even that year) due to the unfair pay scales.

Hawks have had to moneyball a lot of their players. All of Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Frawley, Lake etc are good-great players who could easily be paid within the pay-scales that already existed. Danger will not fit that mould. Magpies have shown they will pay over the odds to keep/get a big name, Cats appear to be changing the way they do things (whether that is a good or bad thing is still up in the air). But I still believe the Cats will offer a fair bit less than what we offer Danger, which is the other reason why we will almost certainly match should Danger accept the Cats offer.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
List and marketing managers across Victoria will be furiously masturbating at the idea of picking him up with a rubbish PSD pick.

Haha. Probably not far from the truth either. Could you really imagine Carlton passing him up? Or Collingwood etc? Big name teams known for splashing cash and looking for the quick fix with rubbish lists and not too much to spend their cap on.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Good point Danoz. Even if Hawthorn were to throw their hat into the ring, their culture of luring players with success and then paying less than market rates means that they're even less likely to make a Godfather offer that we can't match. They may well throw their hat into the ring, and they may well be Dangerfield's preferred destination, but the odds on them making an outlandish offer would have to be fairly remote.

crowsup

Premium Platinum
Nov 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

There really is no other choice. If we can match the offer, we have to. Let the other teams decide if we are bluffing or not.
I would be happy to have a bet that, if Adelaide makes it known that we will be matching any reasonable offer, what ever team danger decides to go to, will make the trade happen. It may be less than what he's worth, but it will be more than the compo pick we would otherwise get.

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will give you 14 days and then call you an attention seeking whore if you are wrong.

Did a quick background check through the search function. Only 100 posts - so easy to do.

3 weeks before the 2011 rookie draft (2010 draft) we would take rookie Lachlan Roach with our first rookie pick if Hawthorn didn't take him first. We took Roach with our 3rd pick.

50/50. Lets hope he is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back