Real Madrid FC - Where has it all gone wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see Ronaldo playing up top all season- can see it being tried but from memory hasn't worked much. He pretty much plays as a striker but needs another one there to help carry the load- that's what Benzema does well.

Watching that video of Ronaldo talking to his fans was actually rather refreshing, I'm not his biggest fan but I can respect that he wants his private life private. Wish he didn't come across so poorly when on the field (attitude wise).

Rafa Benitez was a failure at Chelsea. In the league we fell apart but held onto champions league place, won europa league (good result) and lost in Club World Championship (totally unacceptable) as well as losing in FA cup. I'd say if Di Matteo had've stayed at the helm we would've got something similar if not slightly better.

Torres makes it impossible to judge though.

Rafa Benitez was a failure at Chelsea. In the league we fell apart but held onto champions league place, won europa league (good result) and lost in Club World Championship (totally unacceptable) as well as losing in FA cup. I'd say if Di Matteo had've stayed at the helm we would've got something similar if not slightly better.

Torres makes it impossible to judge though.

Based on what? Benitez is a vastly better manager than Di Matteo.

Based on what? Benitez is a vastly better manager than Di Matteo.

Based on the fact Di Matteo had Chelsea succeeding better in the league- had previously one the Champions league and was showing a willingness to experiment and tinker with the side in order to make the side better. Benitez playing Torres all season instead of trying new things like Di Matteo did is a good example.

Rafa performed poorly in the league. Glad we got champions league for the next season- grateful for that.
Rafa performed poorly in the cups/club world championship.
Rafa performed well in the Europa league. I'll always be grateful for him winning that.

But look at who we played in the Europa League and it's less impressive (but still a great honour).
Look at how we played in the Club World Championship (one of the worst matches I've seen us play).
And look at how we performed in the league for the most part.

Rafa is a better manager than Di Matteo, but I'd say Di Matteo was far better equipped at using that Chelsea side in my opinion. Failure might be a tad harsh on Rafa, but he certainly wasn't good. He divided the fans/club, and had the team under performing for large parts of his short tenure.

But let's not get 2 off topic.

Based on the fact Di Matteo had Chelsea succeeding better in the league- had previously one the Champions league and was showing a willingness to experiment and tinker with the side in order to make the side better. Benitez playing Torres all season instead of trying new things like Di Matteo did is a good example.

Rafa performed poorly in the league. Glad we got champions league for the next season- grateful for that.
Rafa performed well in the Europa league. I'll always be grateful for him winning that.

But look at who we played in the Europa League and it's less impressive (but still a great honour).
Look at how we played in the Club World Championship (one of the worst matches I've seen us play).

Rafa is a better manager than Di Matteo, but I'd say Di Matteo was far better equipped at using that Chelsea side in my opinion. Failure might be a tad harsh on Rafa, but he certainly wasn't good. He divided the fans/club, and had the team under performing for large parts of his short tenure.

Great post.

RDM would also have kept playing Terry instead of Luiz/Cahill, unlike Rafa.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Chelsea fans vastly overrate Di Matteo on the back of that Champions league win.

But we will leave it at that.

RDM won us the Champions League, FA Cup and had us at 9-1-0 in the league. He also got West Brom promoted so the man can coach.

The idea that Bentiez was bad at Chelsea is laughable. It's irrational hate because he is ex-Liverpool.

Benitez at Chelsea - p48 w28 d10 L10 = 58% Win rate

Di Matteo at Chelsea - p42 w24 d9 L9 = 57% Win rate

Ones a legend and the other despised despite being virtually identical.

The idea that Bentiez was bad at Chelsea is laughable. It's irrational hate because he is ex-Liverpool.

Benitez at Chelsea - p48 w28 d10 L10 = 58% Win rate

Di Matteo at Chelsea - p42 w24 d9 L9 = 57% Win rate

He's despised because he disrespected Chelsea and their supporters.

Benitez at Chelsea - p48 w28 d10 L10 = 58% Win rate 94

Di Matteo at Chelsea - p42 w24 d9 L9 = 57% Win rate 81 point

You know Di Matteo got sacked which means he wasn't up to scratch, so Benitez having awfully similar records isn't impressive- especially when given Benitez was competing in Europa League and Club World Championship. Competitions where it's easier to get wins.

RAnd if you think Di Matteo is a legend because of only his managerial stint than you've got no clue buddy. Benitez was bad at Chelsea- by Chelsea standards. Can see how by Arsenal/Liverpool/Tottenham standards he was a success though.

i think anyone would've won that champions league final, with the pure benefit of hindsight. terry, drogba and lampard basically managed that game. di matteo seems to have problems getting along with people.

No s**t? With hindsight I think I could've managed a dozen Champions league final victories. He did an excellent job to win the Championsleague just as Benitez did an excellent job winning europa league- different ballparks though.

Di Matteo did clearly clash with a lot of people, man management definitely not his strong point and was never going to last at Chelsea with people like Terry/Lampard/Drogba if he had that problem.

You know Di Matteo got sacked which means he wasn't up to scratch, so Benitez having awfully similar records isn't impressive- especially when given Benitez was competing in Europa League and Club World Championship. Competitions where it's easier to get wins.

RAnd if you think Di Matteo is a legend because of only his managerial stint than you've got no clue buddy. Benitez was bad at Chelsea- by Chelsea standards. Can see how by Arsenal/Liverpool/Tottenham standards he was a success though.

My my my the spoilt, self entitled stink is strong with you.

Did you have the same attitude to standards when 6th place and trying to win the FA cap was your lot in life?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back