Rebuilding Our Recruiting Department

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
The common thread amongst every comment written in the media or on fan forums across the net is that the reason why our list is as bad as it is right now is purely down to the poor quality of our recruiting decisions.

Clearly, the whole department needs an overhaul and restructure with many posters calling for us to 'pinch' a proven performer from an opposition club.

It would be great to throw a pile of cash at someone but it's hard to understand what the motivation would be for them to leave the comfortable surroundings of where they currently are.

I have always believed that we need more people out spotting the country leagues, school competitions & various suburban leagues.

Here's a basic structure from which to work from :

NATIONAL
National Recruiting & List Manager - Matt Rendell

EASTERN SEABOARD
EASTERN Recruiting Manager - Shane Rogers

VIC Talent Manager - Glenn Elliott
VIC Metro Talent Manager - Dale Harris
VIC Country Talent Manager - Michael Jordan

NSW Recruiting Manager -
NSW Metro Talent Manager -
NSW Country Talent Manager -
ACT Talent Manager -

QLD Recruiting Manager -
QLD Metro Talent Manager -
QLD Country Talent Manager -

TASMANIA
TAS Recruiting Manager -
NTH TAS Talent Manager -
STH TAS Talent Manager

SOUTH AUSTRALIA & NORTHERN TERRITORY
SA & NT Recruiting Manager -
SA Metro Talent Manager -
SA Country Talent Manager -
NT Talent Manager -

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
WA Recruiting Manager -
WA Metro Talent Manager -
WA Country Talent Manager -

Under each lower level manager would be a small army of talent spotters (around 3-4) who monitor specific leagues & competitions within their allocated zones. From there, they would forward on short reports to the State Manager who would then also visit the relevant league or competition to inspect those key players under the microscope from the field spotters so as to make a second judgement on.

When Port can go from a basket case to power in two years to me there is hope. But yes we have to put a flamethrower to how we have been doing things.

We have royally f*cked it up and need some guidance in how to get it right ... should follow the Geelong, Hawks, Port etc model ... I do not know I am no expert I just know that I am tired of this club making such horrendous decisions.

We need a completely new approach. With completely new, capable people.

Right through the club.

Have a look at the policy first. Picking the best available vs filling holes clearly hasn't worked.

This is still the best option IMO...the problem is though, we haven't picked the best player.

Take a look at the Lucas v Talia selection. Many argued that we should have a taken the latter at the time of the draft due to the lack of KPP on our list. Our recruitment team chose the 'best available' player in Lucas but as time as gone by it is now apparent Talia is the better player and fills a desperate need on our list.

Long story short - we ****ed up.

This isn't an isolated incident.

I'm still livid we used a 2nd round pick (albeit a late one) on Sam Rowe when we could have easily rookied him.

Have a look at the policy first. Picking the best available vs filling holes clearly hasn't worked.

No-one is going to disagree with you on that one, the problem is that we don't have the people around country identifying who the talented ones are though.

We have been taking way too speculative players that don't work out and we have whole drafts that are complete wipeouts.

Our recruitment team chose the 'best available' player in Lucas but as time as gone by it is now apparent Talia is the better player and fills a desperate need on our list.

Long story short - we ****** up.

This isn't an isolated incident.

Agreed, this is why we need a more thorough network of people scouring the whole country to make sure we have a dramatically increased hit-rate at the draft (ie. less misses).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id love to poach Rendell. He is a proven performer with some amazing selections and list building. Adelaide lost Nathan Bock, and Phil Davis in succesive years and still had Talia stepping in the next year. Imagine if we lost Henderson and Jamison in successive years? Rowe and McInnes would be starting KP Backs.

Even so, that's when you have to let it be because he wasn't worth that selection. Another amatuerish move by the club.

There wasn't much chop going on around those picks, though. Murdoch or even Frost would have been better given hindsight.

Josh Bootsma with first pick is probably more glaring, good thing we stole Docherty to right that wrong.

Buckley is certainly the best thing out of that draft so far, with a ? still over Bell, though promising.

Id love to poach Rendell. He is a proven performer with some amazing selections and list building. Adelaide lost Nathan Bock, and Phil Davis in succesive years and still had Talia stepping in the next year. Imagine if we lost Henderson and Jamison in successive years? Rowe and McInnes would be starting KP Backs.
Honest question, not trying to troll. Do you really think the blues are capable of poaching Rendell? The pies have become super protective of their recruiting department ever since Melbourne poached one of their assistants a couple of years ago. They also really rate Rendell and have the cash to match anything Carlton throws at him.
How would he be convinced to leave?

There wasn't much chop going on around those picks, though. Murdoch or even Frost would have been better given hindsight.

Josh Bootsma with first pick is probably more glaring, good thing we stole Docherty to right that wrong.

Buckley is certainly the best thing out of that draft so far, with a ? still over Bell, though promising.

Murdoch would have been better. No hindsight needed, he was rated highly by many at the time. Bad selection.

Bootsma was pretty horrible too as you've said.

Honest question, not trying to troll. Do you really think the blues are capable of poaching Rendell? The pies have become super protective of their recruiting department ever since Melbourne poached one of their assistants a couple of years ago. They also really rate Rendell and have the cash to match anything Carlton throws at him.
How would he be convinced to leave?
Carlton is way more racist.

I'm not sure we can base past mistakes around recruiting on the current structure and team. Rogers has only had two drafts to work with, which in itself isn't enough time to judge...but, so far it seems like we're doing the right thing.

Our football dept spend is already quite high, throwing more resources at something that appears to be broken isn't going to fix it. Carlton's problem is cultural, I think we need an assessment and overhaul of the entire organisation starting from President, Board and CEO. That's where we begin fixing this club.

I'm not sure we can base past mistakes around recruiting on the current structure and team. Rogers has only had two drafts to work with, which in itself isn't enough time to judge...but, so far it seems like we're doing the right thing.

Our football dept spend is already quite high, throwing more resources at something that appears to be broken isn't going to fix it. Carlton's problem is cultural, I think we need an assessment and overhaul of the entire organisation starting from President, Board and CEO. That's where we begin fixing this club.

Rodgers may have had only two drafts but what about the years of dross we have had to endure with O'Sullivan & Hughes ??

Who else is part of the recruiting network now ?? Do we have our people looking at each and every competition in the land at the moment ?? I bet we don't and that's why we have been shite when it comes to the draft, we have not done our due diligence & research.

Collingwood has some incredible amount of people spotting for them around the country, we have bugger all and rely on a handful of people to assess the talent.

Let's not beat around the bush here, if we don't get the recruiting right and very quickly, we as supporters better get used to the way we are feeling right now because it is going to become the norm for us.

Yes, the board, pres & CEO all have to be reviewed as well but recruiting is the no. 1 priority without a doubt !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back