Rebuilding Our Recruiting Department

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't review at Carlton, we put a different painting at the end of the room and remark at how that looks different.

Serious note, Rogers might be worth keeping. Menzel, Cripps, Graham appear to be players of importance with Giles, Holman, Temay yet to have a chance. Johnson as a rookie could be a masterstroke if given time to develop.

Development of young men who didn't eventuate is a bigger problem in my opinion.

All you blokes need is a mongrel KPF and a leading mid. Your team isn't bad, just lack someone to set the tone and an example.

Need to let Murphy play without the C next to his name.

We don't review at Carlton, we put a different painting at the end of the room and remark at how that looks different.

Serious note, Rogers might be worth keeping. Menzel, Cripps, Graham appear to be players of importance with Giles, Holman, Temay yet to have a chance. Johnson as a rookie could be a masterstroke if given time to develop.

Development of young men who didn't eventuate is a bigger problem in my opinion.

All of the young guys have to be groomed and developed into the next premiership assault. But, and this is the big kicker, they need other young players to be brought in around them to replace a high proportion of those already at the club.

Recruiting department is the big white hope from now.

This is still the best option IMO...the problem is though, we haven't picked the best player.

Take a look at the Lucas v Talia selection. Many argued that we should have a taken the latter at the time of the draft due to the lack of KPP on our list. Our recruitment team chose the 'best available' player in Lucas but as time as gone by it is now apparent Talia is the better player and fills a desperate need on our list.

Long story short - we ****** up.

This isn't an isolated incident.

I'm still livid we used a 2nd round pick (albeit a late one) on Sam Rowe when we could have easily rookied him.

The Lucas pick was the most blatant of a sizeable list of blunders. I've stated this before but the tape of his junior football showed him winning the ball reasonably well but continually turning it over. Hey presto, he comes into the AFL and continues to do this. My question is- how could a paid recruiter have not picked up on this- I would have thought the ability to find a team mate is a pretty basic requirement of any level of football. Crucial stage against Richmond he wins a contest, runs down the wing and looks like he might do something then proceeds to kick it to a 3 on 1. And this is a 1st ROUND DRAFT PICK.
Sam Rowe- I would doubt he is VFL quality let alone AFL.

There is a whole string of other poor drafting decisions. We would need to nail it at least 2-3 years in a row to fix this up.

We can only pray Lance.

A really good recruiter is worth five times more than any coach is.

I get frustrated when people either ring talkback radio or comment on BF about our recruiting team.
Shane Rogers has been RM for two years, and I think most of us are pretty pleased with who he has bought to the club in this time.
And I certainly don't want us to poach anyone from an opposition club, even if it is Stephen Wells.

Turn the crappy list over. Last 7 National drafts (excluding rookie promotions) we have picked up 3 players 6 times and the other time we picked 4 players. Make the hard decisions and delist the list cloggers. More players you get on the list more chance of finding a quality player.

The Lucas pick was the most blatant of a sizeable list of blunders. I've stated this before but the tape of his junior football showed him winning the ball reasonably well but continually turning it over. Hey presto, he comes into the AFL and continues to do this. My question is- how could a paid recruiter have not picked up on this- I would have thought the ability to find a team mate is a pretty basic requirement of any level of football. Crucial stage against Richmond he wins a contest, runs down the wing and looks like he might do something then proceeds to kick it to a 3 on 1. And this is a 1st ROUND DRAFT PICK.
Sam Rowe- I would doubt he is VFL quality let alone AFL.

There is a whole string of other poor drafting decisions. We would need to nail it at least 2-3 years in a row to fix this up.

I must admit I was pretty happy when we picked Lucas, I really had high hopes for him but yeah, his disposal is very ordinary.

I must admit I was pretty happy when we picked Lucas, I really had high hopes for him but yeah, his disposal is very ordinary.

I also remember he was talked about as a possible top 5 pick then a lot of sides lost interest before the draft and he slipped to us. They must have come to their senses. We didn't.

One of our biggest problems this year and past seasons has been our inability to maintain possession. We just give up the ball too easily. Our No. 1 priority must be to draft young players who have elite kicking or handpassing skills under pressure. If you can't kick by the time you are drafted, its near impossible to iron out a fundamental kicking flaw when you are 18 years old.

You only have to look why Hawthorn is the best team in the AFL ... their precision kicking under pressure is 2nd to none.

Its probably stating the obvious ... but if our present players could kick like the Hawks, I am sure we wouldn't be 0 - 4 !!!

Same.
But it's multiplied by 2 with Kane.
He hasn't developed as well as we thought he would, and Talia has become one of the premier young KPD's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same.
But it's multiplied by 2 with Kane.
He hasn't developed as well as we thought he would, and Talia has become one of the premier young KPD's.

Tell me about it. :(

He hasn't improved in any of the areas that he has needed said improvement - decision making, kicking and tackling. They're some pretty serious areas that need to be addressed but I can't see it happening.

Was at the Saints game today and although Roo beat him, he's still a solid defender and would fit in beautifully in our defense.

A really good recruiter is worth five times more than any coach is.
Terry Wallace said on SEN the other day that, about half way through (or thereabouts) his coaching stint at Richmond, he had Scott Clayton lined up to come to the club. The club knocked it back, coz Wallace was already on slightly shaky ground, and the board considered Clayton to be too much of a "Wallace guy".
:(

All you blokes need is a mongrel KPF and a leading mid. Your team isn't bad, just lack someone to set the tone and an example.

Need to let Murphy play without the C next to his name.
and a bit of c in him.

If the blues want to give me a few hundred dollars i'll trot around to some WAFL colts games and pick who has a bit of go :p

Our recruiting needs to revolve around one thing first - kicking skills and disposal, everythign after that is secondary

Get some kids who can hit a man on the chest 60 metres away, and get the boys who can fire a handball out of any contested situation to those kids

Been saying this since 2007. Still looking for a CHF to replace Whitnall. Haven't seen one yet. You are testing my patience Carlton.

Sad but true. 7 years of recruiting and still no forward line.

We lost a lot of leadership in the forward line when Eddie Betts left. His run, chase, goal awareness and tackling made borderline players like Garlett live up to his elite standard. It showed young kids like Menzel what we expected: raw talent developed with hard work, opportunism in the forward 50 and footy smarts. When EB left it did more than cost us 40+ goals a year. He was our best example of the level of skill and commitment we expect. He's gone, and it's gone with him. So where is the replacement for him?

Chapman would have filled the role perfectly. Experienced, goal-hungry and focused. Used to turning in a professional level of performance week-in, week-out. A proven goalkicker and a finals champ in recent years. And we let him get away. Why?

Maybe Mathieson has put his money where his mouth is and is funding some recruiters :)
You have got to be kidding... Mathieson putting his hand in his pocket to pay for new staff... come on.

He wouldnt even put his hand in his pocket to help payout Ratts and all the other assistants that him and his monied up cronies forced out the door when they chased after Malthouse.

Tell me about it. :(

He hasn't improved in any of the areas that he has needed said improvement - decision making, kicking and tackling. They're some pretty serious areas that need to be addressed but I can't see it happening.

Was at the Saints game today and although Roo beat him, he's still a solid defender and would fit in beautifully in our defense.
Kane spending the best part of 2 seasons recovering from injuries that were mismanaged have definitely put him behind the 8 ball in terms of development. If he hadnt been injured so much and his original injuries had been better managed and we had better assistant coaches to develop the young players, would we even be having these discussions about him?

Sad but true. 7 years of recruiting and still no forward line.

We lost a lot of leadership in the forward line when Eddie Betts left. His run, chase, goal awareness and tackling made borderline players like Garlett live up to his elite standard. It showed young kids like Menzel what we expected: raw talent developed with hard work, opportunism in the forward 50 and footy smarts. When EB left it did more than cost us 40+ goals a year. He was our best example of the level of skill and commitment we expect. He's gone, and it's gone with him. So where is the replacement for him?

Chapman would have filled the role perfectly. Experienced, goal-hungry and focused. Used to turning in a professional level of performance week-in, week-out. A proven goalkicker and a finals champ in recent years. And we let him get away. Why?
Because he wanted to play under Bomber Thompson & anyway he would have been no good to us on Saturday sitting in the grandstand, as he was this weekend & will do on a number of occasions this season.

Because he wanted to play under Bomber Thompson & anyway he would have been no good to us on Saturday sitting in the grandstand, as he was this weekend & will do on a number of occasions this season.

Can't win with the Chapman situation.

Don't bring him on board & people have a whinge.

Bring him on board on a 3 year contract and see the same people whinge when Chappy is sitting on the sidelines after another hamstring concern.

Some people make me laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back