1. Congratulations to bandicoo for being the only player to tip 9/9 this week. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Constitution

Discussion in 'Australian Politics' started by Chief, Apr 20, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. Chief

Chief Business Time

Carlton
    Other teams:
    The draft bill proposed by the Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples in the Constitution report ( http://www.youmeunity.org.au/final-report ) recommends that the following changes to the Constitution be put to the Australian public in a referendum (chapter 11 of report linked above):

It is proposed that s51(xxvi) and insertion of s51A be proposed together, given removal of 51(xxvi) would leave a bit of legislation unconstitutional and disable the Commonwealth's ability to take 'special temporary measures' to try to rectify the past effects of discriminatory policy and actions of State and Fed governments.

(original post below, but the original thread does not seem to exist:
    I know there was a thread on this, but nothing comes up in search. I'm doing an assignment on it (2500 words critique the proposals and the reasons given by the panel) and I recall the thread had some good points.

http://www.youmeunity.org.au/final-report

I've tried searching for the URL, for Kartinyeri, etc etc.

Little help?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. medusala

medusala Premiership Player

Hawthorn Hawthorn - 2013 Premiers
    Other teams:
    This bit is interesting in the doc you linked, I was under the impression they were going to have another referendum at some stage.

"The Panel has concluded that any proposal relating to constitutional recognition of the sovereign status of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples would be highly contested by many Australians, and likely to jeopardise broad public support for the Panel’s recommendations. Such a proposal would not therefore satisfy at least two of the Panel’s
    principles for assessment of proposals, namely ‘contribute to a more unified and reconciled nation’, and ‘be capable of being supported by an overwhelming majority of Australians from across the political and social spectrums’. While questions relating to sovereignty are likely to
    continue to be the subject of debate in the community, including among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, the Panel does not consider that these questions can be resolved or advanced at this time by inclusion in a constitutional referendum proposal."
  3. tandino

tandino All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I am positive I posted in a thread on this topic, but I can't find it.

Maybe one of your minions disposed of it Chief.
  4. tandino

tandino All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    But on the issue itself.

I'm against the "A" amendments, for the simple reason of I can't understand how the identification and recognition of one race and one race only can be put forward as an exercise in unity.

There's nothing about those "A" amendements that I like.

You want to take race out of the constitution, then fine. But don't replace it with more race.
  5. cancat

cancat Account Cancelled by User

Geelong
    Other teams:
  6. Chief

Chief Business Time

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Probably the thread I remembered, it's only talking about the announcement of the process.

I'll turn this thread into a thread covering the report. I'll try to add things as I find them, given I've got a couple of dozen pages of notes on the report (yes, I read the whole thing) and I'm going through commentary, history of the topic of Aboriginals and the constitution and so on in the legal journals.

Note: I'd rather be having a nasty dental operation.
  7. Chief

Chief Business Time

Carlton
    Other teams:
    That is in relation to sovereignty alone.

The decision was, leave that until next time. The final proposal for a bill is in chapter 11 of the report.
  8. Cap

Cap Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    agreed :thumbsu:

how about, we just write a new constitution? One that is modern upto date and gets rid of the queen as a head of state!
  9. tandino

tandino All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    the sun would go cold before that happens.
  10. tandino

tandino All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Plus, imagine what the result would be if every special interest group in the nation had their input.

It would be chaos. The result would be thicker than Steve Waugh's autobiography.
  11. Cap

Cap Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    yes, true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Old Skool

Old Skool Account Cancelled by User

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I wonder how the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders feel about this? Will their true wishes be swamped beneath the tyranny of the ballot box?

Another irony is the insertion of the words "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander" in a document that doesn't acknowledge Australian citizenship.
  13. cancat

Geelong
    Other teams:
    How do the Vietnamese and Chinese feel about not being specifically included in the constiution?

Easy answer. Don't insert the words "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander" into the constitution.
  14. Old Skool

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I don't think they care in the slightest. It's not as if we have any serious national identity anyway. They're all here to partake in the corporate gangbang, like every body else. Auistralia is a business opportunity, nothing more.

That's for the "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders" to decide, not you.
  15. cancat

Geelong
    Other teams:
    No it's not. It's for all Australians to decide.
  16. DTRAIN87

DTRAIN87 Account Cancelled by User

Geelong
    Other teams:
    You do realise Chinese have been in Australia since the 1850s for the gold rush?
  17. campbell

campbell Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    um. are you meaning that the aboriginal people are a special interest group?
  18. Belnakor

Belnakor Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I would be incredibly surprised if this kind of ammendment got above 40% in any state, let alone enough to pass a referendum
  19. Old Skool

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    No, it really isn't.

You can't force a sovereign people in to constitutional bondage on a racial premise.
  20. tandino

tandino All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Read the exchange between myself and Cap. I would have thought my intention was pretty clear.

That's not saying that there's no A&TSI lobby groups or such pushing for constitutional recognition. I'm sure that they are. But I'm not commenting on that.
  21. medusala

Other teams:
    A sovereign people? How so?
  22. Old Skool

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Sovereign by their birth right and their lack of consensual inclusion in the Australian Constitution Act.
  23. medusala

Other teams:
    I would love to have a right of consensual inclusion with the Income Tax Assessment Act. Not sure, however, that I have that as a birth right. I think I should consult a first year Arts lecturer to obtain their opinion.
  24. Old Skool

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Are you a consensual Australian citizen?

If so, you consent and pay.

I think this would be a vast improvement on your current position.
  25. campbell

campbell Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Who cares, they chose to come to this land.

The Aboriginal and Torres people are the ORIGINAL inhabitants of this land. Huge difference, and insulting to even think it isnt imo.