Recommended Adelaide Hills, McLaren Wineries

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
So guys looking for some help! My partner and I are heading over from Perth for the Hawks game and will be spending Fri and Sat between the Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale. (Prev done Barossa on an earlier trip, Clare maybe a bit too far?) So just wanting some advice on any hidden gems or must visit wineries? There surely must be some fellow Crows fans who share a love of a great Red!

Thanks in advance guys!

So guys looking for some help! My partner and I are heading over from Perth for the Hawks game and will be spending Fri and Sat between the Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale. (Prev done Barossa on an earlier trip, Clare maybe a bit too far?) So just wanting some advice on any hidden gems or must visit wineries? There surely must be some fellow Crows fans who share a love of a great Red!

Thanks in advance guys!
I'm not a Crows fan, but I'm a de facto South Aussie (having lived here for so many years) and one who has lived in both the Hills and Barossa Valley for years, too. I'm also a massive red wine lover!

If you've done the Barossa (and I hope you did it properly!) then your next best bet is McLaren vale. If you're willing to travel further south, the Fleurieu Peninsula also has some great wineries. Depending on how far north you're willing to start from, I'd recommend you start at Glen Ewin Estate in Lower Hermitage in the northern end of the Adelaide Hills and make your way south.

Depending on how long you have to explore, there's heaps of wineries you can visit. I won't pretend to have visited all of them, but there's many that I've been to over the years and generally found them all to be great. There's nothing better than a lovely lunch with the darl' over a big bold glass of red.

Should you start from the northern reaches of the hills and make your way south from there, be sure to stop at any of the following wineries in descending order longitude: Bird in Hand Winery, Woodside; Hahndorf Hill Winery, Hahndorf; Howard Vineyard, Nairne. From there, you can head west to McLaren Vale, stopping at the following wineries: Serafino Wines (I had my wedding reception at this place); d'Arenberg; Chapel Hill (I HIGHLY recommend this place).

If you're inclined head down to the southern end of the Fleurieu Peninsula, then I highly recommend Bremerton Wines in Langhorne Creek. You just HAVE to have a glass or two of Old Adam Shiraz with some gourmet pizza.

I'd recommend that you Google the places I've mentioned and check out their menus/wines before setting off. Hopefully I have been of some assistance. Good luck and enjoy your trip over.:thumbsu:

Thanks in advance guys!
Side wood in the Adelaide Hills and have lunch at Maximilliians and try the hole in one challenge.

McLaren Vale , Ollivers Taranga and Hugh Hamilton are my faves. The view from HH is lovely.

From there, you can head west to McLaren Vale, stopping at the following wineries: Serafino Wines (I had my wedding reception at this place); d'Arenberg; Chapel Hill (I HIGHLY recommend this place).

I'm a bit late, but for future reference I heartily endorse this.

I also recommend Maxwell, Hugh Hamilton, and if you like boutique wineries who get a little experimental then Alpha Box & Dice is pretty good as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back