Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Next on Catalyst

(24/10/2013)

The Heart of the Matter

Does high cholesterol really increase your risk of heart attacks?
The Heart of the Matter

Is the role of cholesterol in heart disease really one of the biggest myths in the history of medicine?

For the last four decades we’ve been told that saturated fat clogs our arteries and high cholesterol causes heart disease. It has spawned a multi-billion dollar drug and food industry of “cholesterol free” products promising to lower our cholesterol and decrease our risk of heart disease.

But what if it all isn’t true? What if it’s never been proven that saturated fat causes heart disease?

In this special two part edition of Catalyst, Dr Maryanne Demasi investigates the science behind the claims that saturated fat causes heart disease by raising cholesterol.

8pm tonight, don't miss it.

I'll be watching it while eating a pound of butter!

Next on Catalyst

(24/10/2013)

The Heart of the Matter

Does high cholesterol really increase your risk of heart attacks?
The Heart of the Matter

Is the role of cholesterol in heart disease really one of the biggest myths in the history of medicine?

For the last four decades we’ve been told that saturated fat clogs our arteries and high cholesterol causes heart disease. It has spawned a multi-billion dollar drug and food industry of “cholesterol free” products promising to lower our cholesterol and decrease our risk of heart disease.

But what if it all isn’t true? What if it’s never been proven that saturated fat causes heart disease?

In this special two part edition of Catalyst, Dr Maryanne Demasi investigates the science behind the claims that saturated fat causes heart disease by raising cholesterol.

8pm tonight, don't miss it.

I'll be watching it while eating a pound of butter!
I hope that is Grass fed WESTGOLD.

Had 100g already in my 2 BP's, last night went past chemist warehouse and got a bottle of James White Organic Beetroot Juice (90% cold pressed beetroot & 10% cold pressed apple) had a glass after work and felt so good.

Had 100g already in my 2 BP's, last night went past chemist warehouse and got a bottle of James White Organic Beetroot Juice (90% cold pressed beetroot & 10% cold pressed apple) had a glass after work and felt so good.

I tried the energy shot version yesterday was good! (98% Organic Beetroot Juice made from Concentrate, 2% Lemon Juice)

The bottle you tried is usually around $2.50-$3 per bottle (250mL) - It's such a great alternative to Soft Drinks, Bottled Water etc. when on the go and is very healthy!

I tried the energy shot version yesterday was good! (98% Organic Beetroot Juice made from Concentrate, 2% Lemon Juice)

The bottle you tried is usually around $2.50-$3 per bottle (250mL) - It's such a great alternative to Soft Drinks, Bottled Water etc. when on the go and is very healthy!
I got a 750ml glass bottle for around the $5 mark, purple stools today!

T
Interesting. So what are your macros?

Are you eating circa 65% of your diet as fat?

Gym/weights/Crossfit days-
Protein 100-150g
Carbs 50-100g
Fats 100+ don't really count! as much as like pending what type of food I'm having.

Rest days-
Same as above but 50% less carbs n protein

Cardio days-
Protein 50-100g
Carbs- As minimal as possible.
Fats- same as every day.

Re-feed days will after a gym/Crossfit/commando session,
Same protein n fats as other days but up carbs to 150-200g

How many calories do you eat per day ablett?

Anyway, watched catalyst tonight. I already knew that it was on and had planned to watch it.

I thought it was great.

Catch it on abc iview if you missed it :)

How many calories do you eat per day ablett?

Anyway, watched catalyst tonight. I already knew that it was on and had planned to watch it.

I thought it was great.

Catch it on abc iview if you missed it :)

Don't count calories to be honest ,between 2-3000 I'm guessing.
My BP coffee is around 1000cals!

Obviously I watched the show, luckily I knew this 15 years ago.
Fact is Drug companies would be broke if everyone was healthy, they would have a huge say what diets a re promoted by dieticians, nutritionist, media outlets etc....
I'm tippin cholesterol lowering & anti-depressants would be the highest selling drugs in the world.

T

Gym/weights/Crossfit days-
Protein 100-150g
Carbs 50-100g
Fats 100+ don't really count! as much as like pending what type of food I'm having.

Rest days-
Same as above but 50% less carbs n protein

Cardio days-
Protein 50-100g
Carbs- As minimal as possible.
Fats- same as every day.

Re-feed days will after a gym/Crossfit/commando session,
Same protein n fats as other days but up carbs to 150-200g

Interesting.

So on cardio and rest days days you are trying to go into keto? Or just like being low carb?

I thought the Catalyst show wasn't bad. Not much we didn't already know, but interesting that that sort of info is now making it into the mainstream media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting.

So on cardio and rest days days you are trying to go into keto? Or just like being low carb?

I thought the Catalyst show wasn't bad. Not much we didn't already know, but interesting that that sort of info is now making it into the mainstream media.

More so keto on cardio days(fat burning day) & moderate to low carbs on rest days, which once or twice a week some weeks none, and carbs 1.5 pre & not til 1.5 hours post training.
This keeps insulin to a minimal & mainly only around training but not too close either side to effect HGH release.

Interesting.

..................Is what i was hugely excited about.

Sure, it's stuff that we all know because we're diligent about nutrition so research the s**t out of it :p .... but for it to be on a show like catalyst is fantastic for people who naively accept what the heart foundation tell them.

Big win :thumbsu:

Wasn't bad but for a novice like myself didn't go nearly into enough detail. Basically stated, yep we thought saturated fat caused heart attacks, told people to stop eating it they still have heart attacks. Must be sugar/unsaturated fats etc instead. While the studies on the Mediterranean diet were interesting in terms of omega 3 fats being better balanced with omega 6s there really was not much else. While I reckon they were onto something with cholesterol being regulated by the body and probably insiginificant when it comes to heart attack risk, I reckon some at the end risk doing the same thing with sugar and demonising that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back