News Record Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats now have record membership of 45,007 it's taken awhile to get to this figure and in testing times it's a a good result .

If we could secure Danger surely we could push towards 50,000 members however the reduced capacity and this years result may influence .

If Danger where to come dare say 50k will be the catalyst for future memberships

The membership total number is just a bit of Urinal Swagger amongst the big boys. The money obtained from the memberships and all sub membership categories is the factor that counts... 50,000 3 game members with no seats is almost pointless.

It is and it isn't.
It is also a marketing tool specifically when targeting new sponsors.

I must admit i had never been a member before this year, partly out of fear of being called a bandwagoner as i was only introduced to AFL and this wonderful team in early 2007 and partly due to my geographic location in Brisbane. I waited until after our loss to Melbourne to sign up. No risk of being called a bandwagoner after that right :p? I realise its a strange sentiment / strange reasoning but it just felt right. I am looking forward to many more years of membership and weathering all the ups and downs the club can throw at me :).

Hard to believe, given how poorly performed the Cats have been this year.

As an aside, I see the MCC is now offering combined MCC / Cats memberships for 2016. I wonder how this will impact on GFC's membership statistics if MCC members take up the option?

Danger, S Selwood and Henderson all sign and Menzel plays a few senior games then I'd reckon 60k is on the cards :p
and if Boris goes around one more year and we get Gaz back, well we'll have to kick the Pies of the G to accomodate the 100k :p

I must admit i had never been a member before this year, partly out of fear of being called a bandwagoner as i was only introduced to AFL and this wonderful team in early 2007 and partly due to my geographic location in Brisbane. I waited until after our loss to Melbourne to sign up. No risk of being called a bandwagoner after that right :p? I realise its a strange sentiment / strange reasoning but it just felt right. I am looking forward to many more years of membership and weathering all the ups and downs the club can throw at me :).

Haha I only became a member midway through 2012 for this exact reason. Doesn't work though because it still says I became a member after a premiership year :p

It is and it isn't.
It is also a marketing tool specifically when targeting new sponsors.
Modern approach to footy marketing: have more supporters, but less fully-engaged supporters.

More quantity of less quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe, given how poorly performed the Cats have been this year.

As an aside, I see the MCC is now offering combined MCC / Cats memberships for 2016. I wonder how this will impact on GFC's membership statistics if MCC members take up the option?
I received that letter yesterday from the MCC. Presumably trying to tap a market of supporters that only go to Melbourne or MCG games? Couldn't be more than a couple of thousand in it. But every penny counts I guess.

Modern approach to footy marketing: have more supporters, but less fully-engaged supporters.

More quantity of less quality.
Pretty much sums up everything footy related for me of late

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with footy.
It is completely about going to sponsors and being able to say "45,000 members".

Hence marketing tool for sponsors.....
Which is why it's also important that we try remain competitive and not completely drop off....

I know a few here are screaming play the kids from the rafters, but if performance drops off too bad... membership drops, crowds drop = revenue drops

And while you can argue when we regroup it will pick up, it's always a risk... some clubs take 10 years to regroup and even then still struggle

The balance between refreshing the side, remaining competitive and everything else that comes with it is crucial

Terrific to see the increase in membership. Disappointing for the club that there has been a shift to the cheaper memberships thereby adversely affecting the clubs bottom line though.

Just received my MCC renewal. The club is attempting to get some of the 9000 MCC members who aren't GFC members to join the club with some enticing offers. Good to see the club is being pro-active.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back