Record Scores - all Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Macca19
who knows. I think most Port people would like some clarification on this point.

I think if we could have it like we and both of our clubs would like it we would only have 1 club.......unfortunately the rest of SA football clubs and admin will never allow it.............

I liken it to working for government......if it makes sense it will never happen and more than likely go the other way.......

It was the same Geelong West which played in the VFA.

They started out in the Geelong DFA, then went to the Ballarat FL, then to the VFA, reversing their colours so as not to clash with Preston.

Their VFA scorecard was not too impressive, they'd won most of their flags back in the previous two leagues. After leaving the VFA they headed off to the Geelong comp again, and then merged with St Peters, to become Geelong West-Saint Peters, more commonly known now as "Wests Saints" or something like that.

Further details on the Roosters can be found on the site in my signature.

The Glenelg record still stands in the SANFL. Their full forward that day (Fred Phillis) kicked 18.6 - all 6 points came in the first quarter. He was wearing new boots in that quarter, switched to the old boots at 1/4 time, and kicked 18 goals without a miss. After the game he burnt the new boots. The Bays last shot for goal hit the post, robbing them of an even 50 goals.

And now I realise I know some detailed history of the GFC that doesn't involve defeats at the hands of Port Adelaide in Grand Finals, I don't feel so well ... ;)
That Glenelg attack of the middle 1970s really was amazing: in 1975 they averaged 159 points per game over the minor round - still 151 points per game if we exclude the record score! I think Norwood’s premiership win that year was a bit “out of the blue” since I imagine people in the SANFL then to have seen the flag as the battle between Glenelg’s attack and Sturt’s defence: in 1973 the Tigers had demolished the Double Blue defence three times but 1974 saw this reversed after Glenelg had been inconsistent over the minor round. Even with the windy - though dry - conditions Norwood’s effort holding the Tigers to seven goals in the Grand Final is on paper wonderful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back