1. Don't despair your Tipping Season is not over!

Two lucky people could win $1 million in our free to enter tipping tournaments over the last five rounds of the AFL season.

Winners will receive a ticket to TopBetta's NRL Grand Final day tournament in Melbourne on September 27th.

Join Now and have some fun for the rest of the season.

2. Congratulations to jaydeetee for tipping 7/9 and one off the tie-breaker. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

3. Chat with other Comm Games fans in our Commonwealth Games thread.

And keep up with Aussie athletes in the Aussie Watch Thread.

4. The ASADA, AFL and drugs in sport Hot Topic board

Media links, the facts, the statements, the allegations, the charges, the court actions, the notices and the clubs mentioned so far. Hundreds of threads, hundreds of thousands of posts.

Recording onto disk from Foxtel

Discussion in 'Lethal's Lounge' started by Crock, Dec 30, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. Crock

Crock Team Captain

Hawthorn Hawthorn - 2013 Premiers
    Other teams:
    Mt Waverley Football Club
    Hello Comrades
    I’m disappointed with the drop in number of free to air games for 2012 and am now being forced to consider Foxtel!
    However for personal reasons, I like to copy games to dvd (or AVI) and then watch them at my own leisure.
    I understand that this is difficult to do because Foxtel signal is encrypted (both HD and standard???), and I’m guessing that their equipment (IQ?) is set up in such a way that it makes it difficult to attach DVD recorders.
    I have two dvd recorders (both with built in hard drives), a Pioneer which is not HD and a Panasonic which is HD.
    Would appreciate if somebody could shed some light on how to do this for me.

Cheers (and happy new year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Woodside Hawk

Woodside Hawk Team Captain

Other teams:
    G'day Crock - I believe it is possible to copy most content onto an external DVD recorder. I'm pretty sure you'd just take one of the extra outputs (component etc) from the IQ and connect it up. The only time you'd run into issues there is if you try to copy new release movies (on demand/box office) which I believe are encrypted to prevent copying. Everything else should be no different to normal TV content, however you want to check with the poster named Shwab on this - he's the Foxtel expert around these parts.

Personally I just record all the games on Foxtel onto my Foxtel IQHD box and free-to-air games onto an external hard-drive, then I can watch and re-watch any Hawks game whenever I feel like it, but obviously if your hard drive on the IQ gets full it'd be handy to be able to back up to disk.

I'll see if I can get Shwab to respond in more detail and correct my mistakes.
  3. go hawks!!!

go hawks!!! All Australian

Other teams:
    Box Hill Hawks
    Hey Crock, good question. I've had IQ for years and i explored this years ago, I think it was 2008. The IQ has a USB port but there is no way to record from IQ to ther USB as for as i know and i did do some research.

The best way is to arrange your cables to funnel foxtel to the dvd recorder and record it that way OR perhaps, a new TV with USB input that records toi USB (if foxtel works).

Hope that makes sense!
  4. Shwab

Shwab All Australian

Other teams:
    Hawthorn
    G'day Crock,

3 solutions here my friend.

1 - There's a new iQHD with a 1TB drive, it stores over 100 hrs of HD so you can keep the games as long as you like.

2 - All games will be available in free "On Demand", so if you're iQHD is connected to your broadband you can watch any of the past 4 games or the "last time they played XXX" at anytime (in standard def).

3 - Connect iQHD to a DVD recorder.

Cheers.
  5. Henry Jr

Henry Jr Club Legend

Other teams:
    Check your Pm's mate :D
  6. DESTRUKTOR

DESTRUKTOR Team Captain

Other teams:
    The back of Foxtel should have 2 Scart outputs. The one with the reel symbol should but plugged in to an AV input of a DVD recorder, and that AV input selected on your Recorder (no different than a VCR). Quality will not be high grade, but will do the job. Not many other options, if any.