Recreational Riders: Rides, Events Anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Melburn Roobaix:
I got venue start email today. Hawthorn rego from 9:30am to 11am. You can start riding when you want. Route distance is 35km. Finish at Brunswick velo by 3:30pm. I think the shortest ride distance A to B is about 22km, so the route meanders a bit, but not that much. I haven't done MRoobaix before so I'm not sure how much the laneways, Q&As, and traffic slow you down, but I doubt the event will be much more than 2.5 hours actual riding time.

As for meetup. I'm not from Melburn so leave it to someone else to suggest. Particularly giffler if you have been before and know how event plays out and the likely route. It seems to me that somewhere in/near Brunswick St around lunch-time would fit. I'm on my own so I can fit in with others OK.

Also for those from Melburn - I'll be riding to Hawthorn from City side for the start. Can I cross the Yarra River from Yarra Boulevard, Burnley and get to Glenferrie Road, Kooyong in a bike friendly way, i.e. not needing get onto M1 toll road?

Melburn Roobaix:
I got venue start email today. Hawthorn rego from 9:30am to 11am. You can start riding when you want. Route distance is 35km. Finish at Brunswick velo by 3:30pm. I think the shortest ride distance A to B is about 22km, so the route meanders a bit, but not that much. I haven't done MRoobaix before so I'm not sure how much the laneways, Q&As, and traffic slow you down, but I doubt the event will be much more than 2.5 hours actual riding time.

As for meetup. I'm not from Melburn so leave it to someone else to suggest. Particularly giffler if you have been before and know how event plays out and the likely route. It seems to me that somewhere in/near Brunswick St around lunch-time would fit. I'm on my own so I can fit in with others OK.

Also for those from Melburn - I'll be riding to Hawthorn from City side for the start. Can I cross the Yarra River from Yarra Boulevard, Burnley and get to Glenferrie Road, Kooyong in a bike friendly way, i.e. not needing get onto M1 toll road?

Yeh mate, the capital city trail runs all the way along the yarra, you can cross over at multiple spots and can get off at Auburn rd to get to the start line, i'll be taking the same route but from Richmond.

Yeh mate, the capital city trail runs all the way along the yarra, you can cross over at multiple spots and can get off at Auburn rd to get to the start line, i'll be taking the same route but from Richmond.
Thanks. I got onto Google maps and used the street view guy to walk around and do a reccy for me. Looks like the there is a bike / walk path alongside Gardiners Creek bridge across Yarra and then the bike path comes down and goes under the elevated Tollway along the creek to the start site. Perfect.

Melburn Roobaix:

Last year I think we got to the finish about 2-3 so took us pretty much the whole day, keeping in mind we stopped for lunch, drinks, had to put the crank back on for person I was riding with as it fell off, had to stop at a bike shop to get a new bolt as it fell off again (have to put in here this wasn't the worst damage we witnessed, we were riding with a big group and heard a massive crack behind us just as we were finishing a sector. Turned out someone had cracked a carbon frame), getting lost once or twice.

Not sure how best to do the meet up, I guess it depends on when everyone starts. If your by yourself maybe we can meet up before the ride and you can ride with us?

I'll be riding in from the city as I'm not from Melbourne either, the start place is the same as last year and was really easy to get to as you pretty well ride alongside the river until you get to Glenferrie road.

Last edited:
Thanks. I got onto Google maps and used the street view guy to walk around and do a reccy for me. Looks like the there is a bike / walk path alongside Gardiners Creek bridge across Yarra and then the bike path comes down and goes under the elevated Tollway along the creek to the start site. Perfect.

Yeh, from fed square there is a bike path along the yarra pretty much the whole way there, if you go from fed square along the river you basically can't go wrong (seems really easy when you do it everyday)

Yeh, from fed square there is a bike path along the yarra pretty much the whole way there, if you go from fed square along the river you basically can't go wrong (seems really easy when you do it everyday)
I hear that often " I can't go wrong" from mates after other pinheads in cars hit them

Fellas, I'm doing around the bay this year, 210km route, which is the "easier" option Melbourne-Queenscliff-Sorrento-Melbourne or vice versa.

Will be my first double ton and i dont want to be copping a headwind all day, any suggestions/previous experience appreciated.

Last year the anti-clockwise route would have been much easier.

Depends on the day though I'd suspect.

Last year I think we got to the finish about 2-3 so took us pretty much the whole day, keeping in mind we stopped for lunch, drinks, had to put the crank back on for person I was riding with as it fell off, had to stop at a bike shop to get a new bolt as it fell off again (have to put in here this wasn't the worst damage we witnessed, we were riding with a big group and heard a massive crack behind us just as we were finishing a sector. Turned out someone had cracked a carbon frame), getting lost once or twice.

Not sure how best to do the meet up, I guess it depends on when everyone starts. If your by yourself maybe we can meet up before the ride and you can ride with us?

I'll be riding in from the city as I'm not from Melbourne either, the start place is the same as last year and was really easy to get to as you pretty well ride alongside the river until you get to Glenferrie road.

Giffler and Phantom13 I started a discussion in our BigFootyCC Strava group re meeting up at Roobaix.
http://www.strava.com/clubs/64687

I know Phantom is a member, are you Giffler? It's might be easier to have a joint discussion there than here.

I expect we will be at registration for a while as there were long queues previously from photos I've seen - so it is probably easier to link up there and exchange mobile nos so we can keep in touch - or via private message prior if bigfooty has that facility.

Also to Giffler since you have prior experience - is the puncture experience very much worse than normal? I've got Conti 4 seasons tyres which are supposed to be tougher than their gatorskins. Just wondering if likely to need a few more tubes than normal.

Giffler and Phantom13 I started a discussion in our BigFootyCC Strava group re meeting up at Roobaix.
http://www.strava.com/clubs/64687

I know Phantom is a member, are you Giffler? It's might be easier to have a joint discussion there than here.

I expect we will be at registration for a while as there were long queues previously from photos I've seen - so it is probably easier to link up there and exchange mobile nos so we can keep in touch - or via private message prior if bigfooty has that facility.

Also to Giffler since you have prior experience - is the puncture experience very much worse than normal? I've got Conti 4 seasons tyres which are supposed to be tougher than their gatorskins. Just wondering if likely to need a few more tubes than normal.

Nah I'm not on strava, I'll pm my mobile number on here. I had 25mm gatorskins on last year and had no issue but did see a few others with punctures. I'll be bringing 2 spare tubes, if I need anymore I'll be looking for the nearest pub and setting up shop there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only just saw this and the Strava message. All good that its all sorted out now. Weather is looking awful for tomorrow! Gonna be fun in the wet. Ive got 2 tubes if i blow more than that i'll probably call it a day.
that is my rule but I still carry 3 for some reason

Was a great day, loved some of those steep uphill cobble sections. Only used one of my spares today but god it was horrible changing the tube in the wet with cold hands.

So i'll be honest and say i didn't enjoy the Roobaix yesterday, whilst the weather didn't help i don't think i can blame the organizers for that one (although im sure it will affect my decision whether i do it next year or not... bad memories).

The course wasn't very good and the fact you don't get the course until the morning of the ride doesn't help (even if your not too fussed getting lost and wasting time its frustrating having to pull the map out every 500m to check your going in the right direction to find the cobbles) a few directional signs would be helpful for this (and yes i know you can choose your own route but they all seemed to suffer from this problem).

Lack of rider etiquette was the real pain in the ass, people just slamming on the brakes in the middle of the bike path (at one stage causing a pile up on a single lane steel bridge... to take a photo). The sheer amount of people coupled with the mix of abilities and understanding of basic rules and etiquette (don't stop in a big group on a bike lane blocking the whole thing, pull over to the side) caused headaches and crashes all day, this was especially bad at the end of the cobbled sections where people would congregate right at the exit of the laneways to find the clue giving those behind no way of getting out. A little dos and donts (or how to guide for the less experienced could help here)

I will say the idea is great and on a warm winter (or cool summer) day it probably would have been alot more enjoyable, but it just seems to lack some of the execution and finishing ideas that could make it great. I think alot of the above could be forgiven if the weather wasn't so miserable, unfortunately all of it coupled together will be what i remember when the time comes to sign up next year.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Roobaix and the points you raise are valid.

Firstly how did you wreck your bar tape - I thought that stuff was waterproof and weatherproof.

Roobaix is an unusual combination of things. The cobble aspect is supposed to be a bit challenging and removed from normal riding experience (i.e. the "hell of the northcote"). Then it aims to be a "gathering of the tribes" - bringing together various different bike segments on one ride - Roadies, MTBs, BMX, XCross, fixies, city commuters and trundlers. Then it is a community ride with emphasis on fancy dress which the press seems to like. I suspect they also get some local or state govt funding for being open and encouraging to everyone.

Because of this there will never be the standard etiquette that applies in road bunch rides, although I was following people at times who were calling "clear", "hole" etc. But agree stopping or turning without any indication was an issue. I banged shoulders with someone who decided to do a U-turn in front of me without any warning and also had to swerve onto grass when group of half a dozen mates suddenly stopped to have a look at their map (the leaders probably indicated, but the people on the back of the group didn't bother).

I think putting a message in the registration emails etc that courtesy includes thinking about the riders behind you and to be predictable to them would be a good idea for next year. Particularly if it is wet when braking becomes more difficult.

I only noticed the gathering of people directly in front of the finish of cobbled sectors at the first one and on sector 11 that finished on a busy street in North Fitzroy somewhere - and people had nowhere to go and the letter clue seemed to be missing. Maybe I was a bit later in the day and there were less crowds but my experience was that if anyone stopped in front of the finish they were quickly told to move to side or across the road by the other riders standing around. But agree that could actually be mentioned on start emails as well.

I think the maps breaking up in the wet had a bit to do with the groups forming and stopping for directions. It was also a pain to stop and take off wet gloves to get the map out all the time. So groups formed around 1 or 2 guys who still had their maps in the ziploks. Bit disappointing outcome because someone had put a lot of work into designing that map and getting them made up. I don't think they have enough volunteers to put up signs everywhere, and take them down, or to be on location at the end of sectors directing people. I am not sure what, but I think there should be a better way to guide people around - particularly riders who have GPS on board.

For a while I was travelling with a group of guys one of which had a bike with 2 working kegs of beer attached that they would offer around at the end of every cobbled sector. Another group suddenly took off straight across a grass park just for kicks. I saw adults on kids' bikes and also a guy on a solid frame/wheel track pursuit bike - I am glad I didn't have his skinny tyres and vertical stiffness on the cobbles. It was a day for crazies, and for beards! I got wet and cold but in the end am happy I went. Expect I would feel differently if I hit the deck because of someone doing dumb stuff though.

I am even more in awe of the guys who race on cobbles; I found it hard to hold a line at 15-20km/hr let alone 35km/hr. Most of our sectors were only a few hundred metres. Doing several kms on the stuff must be a nightmare. No wonder there are so many stacks.

Anyway I went to the (festival of the beards) Mixer Sat night and met Andy (Mr. Fyxo) and had a bit of a chat to him. I've exchanged messages with him about other bike stuff a few times this year. I might pass on your feedback / suggestions next time I am in touch with him.

So ive been looking around and getting a little calendar going for some rides toward the end of the year into next year. It looks like the Kinglake ride might be no more? Haven't been able to find anything about it for 2014. Seems like the bigger rides are getting harder and harder to maintain. In the last few years the Beechworth ride, Eastlink and now (potentially) Kinglake gone.

Got an email from supersprint which I didn't bother reading but just looking at the site it seems they have ditched both of their rides, was under the impression the Otways and Ocean Rd one sold out so not sure what the issue is. Wiggle rides have finished, they are now partnering AGF, the winery ride with OGE is on again 23/11/14. I need to do 7 peaks this year, got the passport last year but only did Lake Mountain.

So ive been looking around and getting a little calendar going for some rides toward the end of the year into next year. It looks like the Kinglake ride might be no more? Haven't been able to find anything about it for 2014. Seems like the bigger rides are getting harder and harder to maintain. In the last few years the Beechworth ride, Eastlink and now (potentially) Kinglake gone.

Yes I put things in calendar, but don't plan too far ahead. Whittlesea/Kinglake rides no great loss to me as there is no accommodation there any more. Although people coming from Melbourne for day would be OK. That's a personal vent as I paid up to do Cycling Vic Whittlesea challenge but there were no accommodation options within an hour's ride of start location (that's none, not booked out).

I've also got Sam Miranda Gran Fondo pencilled in for 23 August. Starts near Wangaratta - where SM winery is, Oxley I think. Then goes south into Strathbogies / King Valley and comes back to start. Experience will be weather dependent though - maybe lucky, maybe not. Coincides with a CV bike race on the same course later that day. Includes a gravel section they are calling strade nero (black roads).

Yes I put things in calendar, but don't plan too far ahead. Whittlesea/Kinglake rides no great loss to me as there is no accommodation there any more. Although people coming from Melbourne for day would be OK. That's a personal vent as I paid up to do Cycling Vic Whittlesea challenge but there were no accommodation options within an hour's ride of start location (that's none, not booked out).

I've also got Sam Miranda Gran Fondo pencilled in for 23 August. Starts near Wangaratta - where SM winery is, Oxley I think. Then goes south into Strathbogies / King Valley and comes back to start. Experience will be weather dependent though - maybe lucky, maybe not. Coincides with a CV bike race on the same course later that day. Includes a gravel section they are calling strade nero (black roads).

I was thinking of doing that ride as it's not far from where I live but I'm not sure I'll be able to convince the wife that it's worth the $90 entry fee. Will let you know if I do it.

Email yesterday says Kinglake ride 22nd November.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back