Recreational Riders: Rides, Events Anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, I forgot to reply last night…just wanted to say top job for volunteering today. God knows we needed you lot and I thanked as many of the vollies as I could. Kudos.

(and Jens can do many things normal men can't!!…;))
How did you go? Was a hot ride home!

How did you go? Was a hot ride home!

Swam ok, rode quite well (she was one quick bike course) but was found out on the run…can't run for s**t I'm afraid…still, beat my first crack at the distance by 30mins, so I'm stoked.

Great race, will definitely do again.

Thanks again for your efforts.

My pleasure, it was fun giving s**t (I mean encouragement) to everyone I know!

3 PEAKS CHALLENGE

I have booked and paid for accomodation for 3 Peaks challenge in March and like many people have missed out on a ride entry ticket due to them closing it early.
If anyone knows of anybody who can't make the ride and has an entry ticket I can buy off them please let me know. I only need 1 x entry ticket.

Thanks

3 PEAKS CHALLENGE

I have booked and paid for accomodation for 3 Peaks challenge in March and like many people have missed out on a ride entry ticket due to them closing it early.
If anyone knows of anybody who can't make the ride and has an entry ticket I can buy off them please let me know. I only need 1 x entry ticket.

Thanks

There's a couple of people on facebook looking to offload transfers right now - get in:

https://www.facebook.com/events/136...8699305/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This looks like pretty good value (in Vic), 3 rides plus a free jersey that is a lot better design than most community event jerseys

http://vic.cycling.org.au/Recreation/Challenge-Series

I did it last year but there was an extra ride at Mt Macedon that's been scrapped this year. I signed up again as I like the areas they have them, the roads are fairly quiet.

Do we have any Mountain Bike riders in here or is it all road Cycling?

Attempted to be both until I fell of my MTB and missed 8 weeks of work, still working up the courage to head back to the trails.

Knocked over the MS ride this morning. Whist its only 50km (wound up doing 75 pretty fast kms with the ride there and back from home) its an awesome ride, the course is a little all over the shop (especially through Port Melbourne on the way out) but riding over the Westgate Bridge and the little Tour De Burbs through Kensington and Flemington was just awesome. Obviously going over the bridge was the big deal (for the record its surprisingly short and not very steep at all) and it didn't disappoint. As we all know there is something a little more special about roads on two wheels and the view and sound over the Westgate was awesome. Finally to all the people with MS that came out on the course to cheer and support us you are amazing. One of the best things i have ever seen and certainly made me feel very humble and inspired.

Far out... I've just started casual riding.
Can't believe the numbers you guys can do!
To be fair I've been riding for 17 years, it's not like any of us just started! :) keep at it and you to won't get out of bed for anything under 60km

so. how did everyone go at 3P?

i did just over 12 hours (we really took it slowly after the falls 9 @ 9)

amazing ride, punishing, beautiful, it had everything.

would recommend to anyone looking for a challenge.

vic alps are so beautiful, i would love to go back for a week to do some more. we also snuck in the happy valley scenic drive (from myrtleford and back), that was a great use of an afternoon.

i did just over 12 hours (we really took it slowly after the falls 9 @ 9)

amazing ride, punishing, beautiful, it had everything.

would recommend to anyone looking for a challenge.

vic alps are so beautiful, i would love to go back for a week to do some more. we also snuck in the happy valley scenic drive (from myrtleford and back), that was a great use of an afternoon.

It was the most amazing scenery i have experienced (in between drooling on my handlebars). Especially up Hotham, and what a perfect day we got. Still staggered at the winners time of 7 and a half hours with Average speed of over 30. That is insane and they smoked 3 Drapac riders (although i dont think they went too hard looking at their finish times).

Embrace the pain, it's your friend! I just love getting out and riding, if I'm solo I like to try different routes and roads to see the country side. Riding with a group is great due to the social aspect, 2hrs just flys by when you are talking s**t with a mate!

What kept you motivated? I'm already feeling my motivation wane. I'm sun burnt, back and legs are so stiff and sore. And My arse is killing me! Can barely sit down.
All these are easy to fix! Find good places to ride, use something like strava or mapmyride or even check out The Climbing cyclist. Try find a group to ride with, you'll be able to find groups of various ability levels. Wear sunblock. Invest in a good pair of bib shorts!
The soreness you experience the day after a ride will lessen the more you ride, I used to be only able to ride every 2nd or 3rd day now I'm riding 5-6days a week. It's good fun!

Thanks very much!
I really do enjoy riding, my body doesn't.

What do the bib shorts do? Does the cycling clothing help?

I'm a bit hesitant in spending money on anything until I get better. I think I'll have to get a new bike eventually, as there a moments where I can't peddle fast enough, in top gear.
I'll snap a photo of my bike and put it up

I'm in Darwin, does anyone on here ride in Darwin?

My bike was in storage for last 5 years and I started off again late last year, so I have some empathy for your position.
Cycling clothing helps a lot. Padded shorts are needed to cope with hours in the saddle, but you don't have to spend a lot at first. You might be more comfortable starting with shorts with pockets.
e.g. - http://www.cellbikes.com.au/CELL-Bikes-Relaxed-Fit-Bike-Shorts?sc=32&category=37911

Cycling jerseys are comfortable (the 3 pockets in the back are very useful) and they make you feel awesome just putting them on. I also wear sun protector sleeves on my arms and legs as I find these less of a nuisance than sunscreen. But most keen riders get out early in the morning to avoid the sun.

Also suggest get some basic spd cleated shoes and pedals that will give you a lot more power and maybe stop you getting ahead of your biggest gear because they make you work on the upstroke as well. Your gear may be fine, if your haven't ridden lately your cadence (pedal revs) is probably a bit slow - you should be trying to get up to at least 80 rpm and then maintain that for a couple of hours.

I suggest working out what sort of riding you want to do before buying a new bike, you have a lot of options these days. You biggest issue at this stage is fitness and you can get fit on an old bike just as easily as a new one. Riding with groups is good but they usually go too fast for people starting off. You can still find out where and what time they stop for coffee and meet up with them to try to get some info on local routes and riding groups.

Strava app on your mobile phone will record all your rides for free, and you can plan your routes in advance. Plus I'm a big fan of cadence & heart rate monitors to measure how you are going and help with getting fitter, improving your riding and losing weight.

Speaking of Strava - does BigFooty have a strava club? I'm not interesting in getting competitive, but I am always interested in seeing where others are riding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back