Recruiting News for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

What are people's thoughts on John Delahunty being named inter league coach? He seems a great bloke and leader but I'm not aware of him having any coaching experience? Will be interesting to see how the team performs

What are people's thoughts on John Delahunty being named inter league coach? He seems a great bloke and leader but I'm not aware of him having any coaching experience? Will be interesting to see how the team performs
yeah he can definitely play the game, not many would disagree with that, I reckon he was assistant cook the last 2 or 3 years at Minyip, really good appointment, couldn't see many players wanting to do the job

We've been discussing the Promotion/Relegation System here for a few years now. The GFL, BFL & GDFL will be bringing it in. Interesting times for footy indeed.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...g/news-story/1d360f6895d6ff7047d90816dde3a84e

I would like to see a promotion relegation system in for the wimmera area soon. At the moment 8 teams in wimmera and 12 in district is a joke when you consider clubs like laharum and kalkee would be very competitive in wimmera league. They obviously like being big fish in a small pond. Ideally they would move up and make it 10 teams each. But the reality is that is not going to happen unless they are forced to.

Also just as another idea with promotion relegation in this area maybe wimmera, hdfl and north central could be split into 3 divisions of 8-9 teams each. this will hopefully eliminate 25+ goal hidings you see regularly in district league.

Also i think top 2 teams who play off in gf should be forced to go up a division and bottom two on ladder forced to go down

Great in theory and makes oh so much sense old bomber but we all forget that most clubs are football and netball clubs and thats what makes our regional leagues so unique, special and better than metro comps.

Surely you're not suggesting to split which leagues the footballers play and the netballers? Or if u dont split you could get situations where a netball team who can barely win a game in the so labelled B competition is forced to play in the A comp due to their footy team winning a flag.

Depends....... Did Dalziel the role up??? Seemed to be doing a good job getting things headed in right direction and had support of many.

Great in theory and makes oh so much sense old bomber but we all forget that most clubs are football and netball clubs and thats what makes our regional leagues so unique, special and better than metro comps.

Surely you're not suggesting to split which leagues the footballers play and the netballers? Or if u dont split you could get situations where a netball team who can barely win a game in the so labelled B competition is forced to play in the A comp due to their footy team winning a flag.

Yeah im definately not suggesting to split football and netball. Its another reason of many as to why country footy and its atmosphere is so much better than metro footy.

So yes i personally think club promotion and relegation should be based solely on your results in A grade football.

Yes it could be unfortunate if the netballers arent competitive changing into a league they have no say over however at the end of the day clubs footy and netball must stick together.

The sponsors who help drive these clubs are more often than not primarily concerned with success on the football field over the netball court. (You dont see clubs paying netball recruits trying to win a flag do you?) And whilst club success is great in both sports ideally the netball whilst adding a great social element to the club it is a just a bit of a side show to the main game of footy.

everyone's early top 5 predictions?
mine....
Minyip
St micks
Stawell
Horsham
Nhill

Overall should be a cracking year of footy. Would love to see a grandfinal minus the horsham teams however that might just be a dream...

Predictions:

Minyip murtoa- have recruited strongly, will be a much better side this year whilst most others have big losses at this stage and are almost certainly going to be the team to beat

Saints- should still be there abouts despite losses due to the solid depth they had last year which was evident by winning reserves flag

Ararat- have the biggest home ground advantage in the league and play it well with again a list dominated by fit up and coming youngsters

Demons- endless supply of juniors will finally have to step up to the big time after losing a lot of key position players and i think they will. Could be a running team similar to rats without the massive sized home ground advantage though.

Nhill- retained majority of core but young group along with coach who is keen to build on their improvement from last year, plus heard thet have recruited a few more from adelaide. Lot of travellers no doubt but should be the big improver and might be the only team besides burras who actually look stronger this year than last year.

Stawell -i believe the only other team with a realistic shot at top 5. Should be a class above the bottom two who i have pretty much written off for this year.

Dimboola and warrack-hope their competitive for the sake of the league however honestly i just dont think they will be and could just merely be making up the numbers and both in for a long year.

Current ins and outs... probably doesn't mean much at this stage

View attachment 219851

Nice work.. Stawells got lots of ins. Any1 know much about there recruits? Obviously min/murtoa had some big name recruits. Haven't heard much about any other gun recruits at this stage. Ryan Mckenzie will be a gun for warrack but won't have enough around him for warrack to be competitive with most teams. Have heard Nhill have got a large group of young fellas coming up from Adelaide, so will be interesting to see if the team gels

Stawell's ins are all pretty handy players. Joiner who has crossed from swifts is a really handy player who will hold he's own in the wimmera league. They have recruited a 6,3 full forward who is a very stongly built lad who won a bnf up on the murray some where he will take a bit of pressure off musgrove to hit the score board. Picked up a school teacher who played with the Gippsland Power a few years ago so obviously can play a bit.
Tom Taurau is a massive inclusion as well has the ability to play any where. I expect them to finish top 3. They can only improve on last year after exceeding most people's expectations. With the likes of Eckle, Morris, Dark all at that peak age it should be exciting times down at Central Park

Stawell's ins are all pretty handy players. Joiner who has crossed from swifts is a really handy player who will hold he's own in the wimmera league. They have recruited a 6,3 full forward who is a very stongly built lad who won a bnf up on the murray some where he will take a bit of pressure off musgrove to hit the score board. Picked up a school teacher who played with the Gippsland Power a few years ago so obviously can play a bit.
Tom Taurau is a massive inclusion as well has the ability to play any where. I expect them to finish top 3. They can only improve on last year after exceeding most people's expectations. With the likes of Eckle, Morris, Dark all at that peak age it should be exciting times down at Central Park

Plus Simon Brearley.

I actually think Stawell will be the team to beat this year - not Minyip. Minyip have picked up a couple of star recruits, but they have lost quite a few quality players whereas Stawell has held onto there list from last year.

Hopefully both sides go well, would be great to see a non Horsham grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Simon Brearley.

I actually think Stawell will be the team to beat this year - not Minyip. Minyip have picked up a couple of star recruits, but they have lost quite a few quality players whereas Stawell has held onto there list from last year.

Hopefully both sides go well, would be great to see a non Horsham grand final.

Do you have Simon Brearly? 2 successive clearances denied...whats going on there? Hows he looking on the track and where will he fit in at stawell as hes getting on a bit.

Also after looking at all of stawells ins i stand to be way off the mark with my prediction of 6th as they could well be top 3 contenders but we will soon see.

Brearly doesn't look extremely fit but he doesn't have to play a major role at stawell. He will sit in a forward pocket and help direct a bit of traffic. Scott Driscoll will hurt there defensive 6 but they will find someone to cover him. Brad Thomas has taken there intensity and fitness levels to another level this pre season so I expect them to really push minyip. Are we expecting Ararat to fall ?
Pretty hard to cover the loss of Cossen, Vearing , Searle , Summons , Cavanagh , Williamson and co.

Who is going to kick goals this year, seems all the main forwards of last year are moving on,
Clugston, Christopher, cosson, Burke, Carr (retire?), midgley (retire?)
Are the days of a big foward over in the Wimmera?

Who is going to kick goals this year, seems all the main forwards of last year are moving on,
Clugston, Christopher, cosson, Burke, Carr (retire?), midgley (retire?)
Are the days of a big foward over in the Wimmera?

I reckon MUsgrove from Stawell is set for a big year. Finished of last season with 2 bags of 5 a 7 and a 9 in his last 5 games. Stawells team improving will only increase his chances of putting big scores on the board, unless he plays a different position.
I think min/murtoa have many avenues in keys position players like Magrath, Cameron, Ison, Midgley, K Delahunty along with all there gun midfielders.
Nhill, Demons and Saints will rely on goal kicking midfielders.
Ararat might still have Big Gordo, but he's supply won't be as good as last year.
Lauchie Excell is a good target for Dim but he's supply won't be as good either. He might find himself in a different position this year.
Warrack will struggle.

That list of ins and outs is interesting. Stawell could certainly be top two based on that. MM should be the team to beat though I would have thought. And while both Horsham teams might drop a bit, their experience in finals and their winning cultures shouldn't see them go down too much. I wouldn't expect Saints to have the same premiership hangover that Dimboola had. That probably leaves Ararat or Nhill to battle it out of the top five.

RE the relegation discussion, it is a fair point about netball not matching football. Both leagues do run a club championship, however, which is heavily weighted towards senior football but ultimately all sides (and even juniors) add points to the tally based on how they do. So I've always wondered if that could be used instead, meaning more often than not that the senior premiers from the HDFL would go up, but not necessarily if their netball and juniors had really had poor years.

RE the relegation discussion, it is a fair point about netball not matching football. Both leagues do run a club championship, however, which is heavily weighted towards senior football but ultimately all sides (and even juniors) add points to the tally based on how they do. So I've always wondered if that could be used instead, meaning more often than not that the senior premiers from the HDFL would go up, but not necessarily if their netball and juniors had really had poor years.

Another good idea for sure. Only problem i see is certain clubs wouldnt be too upset if their netball and juniors are struggling provided their senior footy teams keep winning flag after flag...

In the amateur metro leagues in some states if you make the grand final in div 5 for example both teams will go up to div 4 and the bottom 2 teams of div 4 come down to div 5...hopefully better equalising the leagues. I think in this instance compulsory promotion relegation is effective and is what i think is best for footy in western vic in the long run. Keep the clubs footy and netball together regardless. If the netball is so uncompetitive then dont field an a grade side until they are competitive just like dimboola did not that long ago, they won a b grade flag and then got told by the league well done now your in a grade the next year.

Yet in some other comps with tiered divisions (for example AFLNT and even Hills fl in S.A) I know promotion to a higher division is optional if you win the premiership and occurs only if the successful club wishes to go that way. Problem here is too many clubs happy to be big fish in a small pond a la some district league clubs i know...mainly kalkee and laharum can just refuse and keep dominating instead of challenge themselves at a higher level!!

No simple solution that keeps everyone happy. Due to country populations downsizing i believe the focus should be on putting in a system that gives clubs the best chance to be competitive and sustainable for the future. Hopefully by 2018 or whenever it comes in though clubs can push through whatever system ends up being implemented as more often than not the local sporting club is the pulse of these rural communities and their survival is dependant on one another.

No simple solution that keeps everyone happy. Due to country populations downsizing i believe the focus should be on putting in a system that gives clubs the best chance to be competitive and sustainable for the future. Hopefully by 2018 or whenever it comes in though clubs can push through whatever system ends up being implemented as more often than not the local sporting club is the pulse of these rural communities and their survival is dependant on one another.

Yeah, let's be honest, if there was a simple solution it would have been done by now. I did like what I read in that article about the relegation taking in a range of factors (such as grounds and facilities, volunteer numbers, etc.) - but I also think you're right that if it isn't compulsory then team simply won't do it.

Unfortunately I think the whispers coming out of the 2018 shake up is that we'll basically be left with the status quo. But if that continues and certain sides continue to get flogged then it's going to be impossible to attract players (and juniors and volunteers) to the club and we'll soon enough see other teams going the way of Horsham United.

Any news from practice matches lately??

I have heard Nhill and Taylor's lake was a good game! Taylor's lake taking the chocolates.
Dimboola and kaniva - Dimmy winning by some 8 goals.
And i believe Horsham Demons play Laharum Tuesday night under the lights at city oval.

Any other results?

Any news from practice matches lately??

I have heard Nhill and Taylor's lake was a good game! Taylor's lake taking the chocolates.
Dimboola and kaniva - Dimmy winning by some 8 goals.
And i believe Horsham Demons play Laharum Tuesday night under the lights at city oval.

Any other results?

any news on new players for Dim?

No incomings on the WFL website - only outgoings.

I have heard over the weekend from an eagles supporter that they have recently landed upto 10 recruits which are all senior footballers.
Has anyone heard any of this????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back