Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

If we don't like a big fish...then what are your thoughts on Jamar as a 2 year emergency ruck?
Held his own vs Lobbe earlier in the year and can be the 3rd tall fwd/ruck. Is bad around the ground but offers a lot more than Renouf.

Melbourne supporter wanted their 3rd rounder upgraded for him.

So pretty much Jamar + their 3rd rounder (Pick 38) for our 2nd rounder (Pick 32)

O'Shea isn't going anywhere.. Source - straight from the man himself.

Im not saying I dont believe him, but I wouldn't take it as gospel. He isn't, while our season is still alive and well say he wants out of the club and move to Melb... he would kiss goodbye any finals action if he did. I hope he stays cause he has great upside as he proved last season!

We don't have many 200cm plus guys, so we will definitely be looking for one of these during the off season.

Harvey, butcher and Shaw can all play the forward and relief duties in the ruck.

The question is, will we wait for one if these to develop or bring in an established forward? I feel we would recruit one if available but they rarely are.

In short we are likely to have a quiet off season and bring in one established player, draft a ruck and two or three others.

If we are genuine, next season will see the debuts of Harvey and Shaw... If not we need to bring an established player in this off season. Cant afford to wait too long. We are a real chance at a flag in the coming years and dont want to waste that waiting for a player to develop.

When did he say that?
Saw him mention it to the other Port lads on one of their FB pages when they were poking fun at it.

He's on my friends list & I hadn't messaged him in a while but wanted to wish him good luck next week, I asked him about Rucci's rumour he said it was the first he heard of it & laughed it off saying nothing in it.

Even though i'm just a supporter & he doesn't need to tell me the truth I just can't see Cam wanting to leave our club on the verge of sustained finals appearances & his best mates to play at St Kilda who are going to be in struggletown for a few years.

Considering the Goldsack rumour that accompanied it lacks substance as to his destination I think he'll be staying put.

With all due respect, he ain't going to give you a big scoop via Facebook.

i also doubt he feels the need to persuade him off something that isnt true. he would have ignored the comment and not responded or stepped sideways around the question. there is no reason for him to feel he had to respond or lie to him.

We don't need Giles, nor do we need Goringe, we have a better version of them in Lobbe. If anything we need a Trengove/Mumford smash, bash and crash Ruckman with a healthy dose of Mongrel about him (hence why I am happy Harvey added this to his bow throughout the SANFL season). Bradie Foster would be a better option than Giles and Goringe, and be FAR cheaper, but again not what we need. If Lobbe goes down and Redden isn't fit enough, we're rooted, but which team wouldn't be? We do need another option for our Rucks and a wet paper bag would be an improvement on Renouff, so we will add someone from somewhere, I just hope if they are coming from with in an AFL systeam they have a healthy dose of campaigner about them. However, I would love a project Ruck, on the Rookie list, that is nible and quick (like Spurling) to run his apprenticeship like Curnow, Giles and Minson in the past.

A very valid point, on yesterday's game, was our one dimensional forward line. We need a clunker, like Harvey or Redden may become, but a third option could be very handy! Over the preseason Harvey could potentially drop 6-12kgs and even develop into a CHF adding more strings to his bow, Shaw looks very likely IF we can retain him and this all adds pressure to Butchers final year. But neither really look to be a genuine Stay at home forward, more so the new Roving Forward that Westhoff plays so well. Today's game doesn't allow the traditional forward Six structure, but there is still room in the best teams for a Tippet, Walker, Hawkins, Cloke, J.Riewoldt, Petrie, J.Danniher, Kennedy, the more traditional Key Forward who moves towards the ball as opposed to running back with play while the ball is worked down the field.

I think the lad was McKenzie who looks a genuine cluncking forward option, Godard if he slips or one of Weller/Blakely is going to be a fabulous inclusion to our young, exciting and promising list. It's going to be a hard, tough call.

We have avoided the hard decisions this year, resigning Cornes and Stewart when potentially our options look healthy in their roles. We need 1 Ruckman if Harvey is capable to be an insurance policy, another Key Forward and need to add to our developing midfield group. I would also like a young +196cm Key Defender. Exciting times ahead.

We don't need Giles, nor do we need Goringe, we have a better version of them in Lobbe. If anything we need a Trengove/Mumford smash, bash and crash Ruckman with a healthy dose of Mongrel about him (hence why I am happy Harvey added this to his bow throughout the SANFL season). Bradie Foster would be a better option than Giles and Goringe, and be FAR cheaper, but again not what we need. If Lobbe goes down and Redden isn't fit enough, we're rooted, but which team wouldn't be? We do need another option for our Rucks and a wet paper bag would be an improvement on Renouff, so we will add someone from somewhere, I just hope if they are coming from with in an AFL systeam they have a healthy dose of campaigner about them. However, I would love a project Ruck, on the Rookie list, that is nible and quick (like Spurling) to run his apprenticeship like Curnow, Giles and Minson in the past.

A very valid point, on yesterday's game, was our one dimensional forward line. We need a clunker, like Harvey or Redden may become, but a third option could be very handy! Over the preseason Harvey could potentially drop 6-12kgs and even develop into a CHF adding more strings to his bow, Shaw looks very likely IF we can retain him and this all adds pressure to Butchers final year. But neither really look to be a genuine Stay at home forward, more so the new Roving Forward that Westhoff plays so well. Today's game doesn't allow the traditional forward Six structure, but there is still room in the best teams for a Tippet, Walker, Hawkins, Cloke, J.Riewoldt, Petrie, J.Danniher, Kennedy, the more traditional Key Forward who moves towards the ball as opposed to running back with play while the ball is worked down the field.

I think the lad was McKenzie who looks a genuine cluncking forward option, Godard if he slips or one of Weller/Blakely is going to be a fabulous inclusion to our young, exciting and promising list. It's going to be a hard, tough call.

We have avoided the hard decisions this year, resigning Cornes and Stewart when potentially our options look healthy in their roles. We need 1 Ruckman if Harvey is capable to be an insurance policy, another Key Forward and need to add to our developing midfield group. I would also like a young +196cm Key Defender. Exciting times ahead.

What I will add is we have a special opportunity this year to add a Cat B Rookie who could allow us to Draft a little taller than we have inn the past, with Wagner/Goss from the Recruit. Now alot of people think the show is gimmicky and cheap, that the player will not be much chop, but they are working with Burgo, their fitness base SHOULD be very strong and both are 22-23 so have a couple of good years infront of them.

We have come to the realisation that Mitchell really isn't AFL first 18. Both he and Gray are the same options as Rookie listed individuals and I feel we could be better served with one of these listed types as Cat B listed Rookies.

Sam Russell is an underager who has been plagued with injuries throughout the year, I feel obligated to retain him next year to see exactly what he could potentially evolve into.

Last edited:
This just in: have heard that Gorringe's is on his way to port, has bought a port Guernsey as well

I don't see why people here want Gorringe, is it because he is from SA and a 1st rounder? Because from what I saw in our game against GCS was him get destroyed by Lobbe who had 50+ hit outs, heck Westhoff would probably beat him in the ruck! Happy to be proven wrong but I would trade a 3rd rounder for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Russell is an underager who has been plagued with injuries throughout the year, I feel obligated to retain him next year to see exactly what he could potentially evolve into.
Smaller version of Tom Jonas, IMO. If his rebound from defence can develop in a similar fashion that Jonas' has, then I think he can be a very handy player.

I'd prefer Vickery to Gorringe.

This may be the development and evolution of Hinkley's game plan, get the guys in to pushing up and charging back, and as the guys fitness improves with each preseason under Burgess, Hinkley can expect more running from less blokes.

Smaller version of Tom Jonas, IMO. If his rebound from defence can develop in a similar fashion that Jonas' has, then I think he can be a very handy player.
From what I have seen, looks a Footballers Footballer! Love his will for the contest and looks a well structured, sizeable individual for a bottom aged lad. Tom Logan, Tom Jonas type would be great, his speed isn't to shabby either. Could be what Impey is to us this year in 2016!

*Logan should have played yesterday, two dangerous small forwards and I think Logan on Walters would have gone some way to a better outcome for us.

I don't see why people here want Gorringe, is it because he is from SA and a 1st rounder? Because from what I saw in our game against GCS was him get destroyed by Lobbe who had 50+ hit outs, heck Westhoff would probably beat him in the ruck! Happy to be proven wrong but I would trade a 3rd rounder for him

considering where they are both at in their respective careers i would have been very upset if lobbe didnt beat gorringe comprehensively.

gorringe has very good athleticism , very good size for a ruckman. some nice skills. has the potential to be a top ruckman. the issue is so far in his young career he has had quite a few injury niggles.

to be honest im not too keen on us going after gorringe as it seems his career could go either way with injuries at the moment , and i wouldnt want to overpay for him and i dont see why gc would let him go cheaply.

gorringe has very good athleticism , very good size for a ruckman. some nice skills. has the potential to be a top ruckman. the issue is so far in his young career he has had quite a few injury niggles.

Goringe's issue is Attitude

considering where they are both at in their respective careers i would have been very upset if lobbe didnt beat gorringe comprehensively.

to be honest im not too keen on us going after gorringe as it seems his career could go either way with injuries at the moment , and i wouldnt want to overpay for him and i dont see why gc would let him go cheaply.

Given the age and experience difference, it would be a fair indightment on Lobbe if he couldn't outruck Gorringe. Goringe is exceptionally well built for his age, and if he can get his body, fitness and atitude right, could still easily become the ruck/resting forward any side would be happy with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back