Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

I want a KPF/Ruckman. I'd love us to get our hands on Bellchambers. If we couldn't get him (which we probably wont) I think that Tomlinson would be a great pick up.

Will have to keep my eye on Haren as I havent paid any attention to him or seen very much to take notice yet but I like what Shulzenfest says about him. A swing man similar to Carlsile from Essendon would be a very handy player even if said player isnt the same high quality as him.

Johnston has had an extra couple of years in the system and has already been at 2 clubs. I think that if he had the capacity to change into a defensively minded player, we would be seeing signs/it would have happened already
His second club is Adelaide. I don't think I could do justice in summing up what this board thinks of their coaching staff.

tomlinson is fairly un-achievable. GWS are just stockpiling top 5 draft picks for years to come. To get any of there forwards you will have to give at least a top 5 pick and they will not want any player in return unless its someone like ollie. so bagging a player and a pick wont work at all.

tomlinson is fairly un-achievable. GWS are just stockpiling top 5 draft picks for years to come. To get any of there forwards you will have to give at least a top 5 pick and they will not want any player in return unless its someone like ollie. so bagging a player and a pick wont work at all.

They can't keep everyone. The expansion clubs have already been forced to cough up a few players that wanted out, and not really for exorbitant prices. If someone wants out for homesickness, more opportunity etc they are very gettable.

Last edited:
They can't keep everyone. The expansion clubs have already been forced to cough up a few players that wanted out, and not really for exorbitant prices.

i agree to some degree, to get a decent forward everyone has to pay overs, look at daws when he was traded wasn't worth a bag of chips and still isn't but melbourne had to pay well and truly overs for him. If gumby was traded the year before even though he had played bugger all essendon was after a first rounder, so a 24 yr old that had played 8 games and been injured the rest of the time. GWS been banking forwards for this purpose so over the next 5 or so years no matter where they finish on the ladder they will have top picks for a very long period. They have recruited very smartly for longevity of the club we just cant see it in full bloom yet. But listen to most commentators and when asked which club they would rather coach between gws and gc most say gws

As the compo picks have basically gone now you will see gws getting rid of players before there contracts are up so they actually get something for them, wouldnt be surprised if patton is put on the table this year at all, watch melbourne or carlton depending on there picks spend big and outbid each other on him, so 2 top 10 picks would not surprise me.

im yet to see any proof that polec ever had a s**t attitude once in the afl system. maybe its a myth we should put to bed now and forever unless anyone has anything other than hearsay otherwise??

seemed to have trouble staying on the park his first couple of years. seemed to want out of brisbane pretty badly as did an unusual number of other young players.

I can assure you, he didn't do the right thing in Brisbane.

I was against chasing him, but boy has he proved me wrong by buying in. Well done to the lad. Just proves happiness is a major factor in performance.

i agree to some degree, to get a decent forward everyone has to pay overs, look at daws when he was traded wasn't worth a bag of chips and still isn't but melbourne had to pay well and truly overs for him. If gumby was traded the year before even though he had played bugger all essendon was after a first rounder, so a 24 yr old that had played 8 games and been injured the rest of the time. GWS been banking forwards for this purpose so over the next 5 or so years no matter where they finish on the ladder they will have top picks for a very long period. They have recruited very smartly for longevity of the club we just cant see it in full bloom yet. But listen to most commentators and when asked which club they would rather coach between gws and gc most say gws

As the compo picks have basically gone now you will see gws getting rid of players before there contracts are up so they actually get something for them, wouldnt be surprised if patton is put on the table this year at all, watch melbourne or carlton depending on there picks spend big and outbid each other on him, so 2 top 10 picks would not surprise me.

if he continues not playing this season they will have no option other than to trade him before his price falls. GWS's structure is Cameron/Patton with Giles 3rd tall/ruck and mumford. because mumford was dropped they played tomlinson third tall. so now apparantly the second coming of jesus (tom boyd) also has to fit into the side. not playing in the afl will significantly reduce their price on the trade table, if they are only holding on to KPF's to sell later on i think tomlinson will go this year. personal feeling is he won't get to us and everyone is getting worked up about one guy because he's clearly the standout but the chances are real low of coming to adelaide.

Top summary Schulzenfest
On the Melbourne board they seem to think they might let Trengove go. If we could get him without using our first pick that'd be a bigger coup then Polec.

Has Triggy broken any rules yet this year that will preclude the Crows from the first 2 rounds of the draft ? Once he does, it may only take our second pick, unless they are willing to again trade another club favorite (like Vince) for a pick to try and use on him (like they tried and failed with Polec).

Polec had a self confessed lack of application while at Brisbane. Some may see that as a 's**t attitude', others won't.

yes but i think it has been way overblown when posters continually refer to polec as the yardstick of "s**t attitude"

justs seems like he had a bad run of injuries which probably hurt his confidence a little and the problems around the culture at brisbane seemingly left many young prospects feeling like outsiders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomlinson is very much achievable, especially if he has a strong club like ours sniffing at him and he senses the opportunity to be first 22 in a finals bound team. History shows it is usually the player who'll be calling the shots and they typically end up at their desired club- he is ripe for the picking at GWS.

I guess if you combine the two (Butcher & Johnston), you get Jeremy Cameron :p
I see one solution to creating the perfect forward :D

tumblr_l892prfV1g1qa1id2o1_r1_250.gif

so Jack Trengove's season is done

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-04-15/trengove-set-to-miss-rest-of-2014-season

ends his year with an injury in the seconds, will have no more exposed form before the season ends. navicular's are not exactly promising for a long term deal. probably lowers his price but complicates the deal.
Port or Crows 2nd round pick should get this trade done, the Dees would be lucky to get anymore than that.

If I was Jack i'd be seeking Port out now, sure he may see more opportunities at the Crows but Burgess was a huge deciding factor in Polec picking us. Get Ken & Darren to present a plan to get his body right & promise him success he'll fit in great at our club.

Last edited:
Port or Crows 2nd round pick should get this trade done, the Dees would be lucky to get anymore than that.

If I was Jack i'd be seeking Port out now, sure he may see more opportunities at the Crows but Burgess was a huge deciding factor in Polec picking us. Get Ken & Darren to present a plan to get his body right & promise him success he'll fit in great at our club.
Even with his injury you have clubs like the Crows, Carlton, Richmond etc. who are doing badly and will pay overs for a potential gun recruit in a short term fix panic. Provided we don't pay overs (1st round pick) it's a risk / reward scenario worth taking. Especially as noted our recruiting people should be into his manager about our fitness staff being the difference.

They would want a first round pick in the single digit category IMO

I agree we wouldn't want to be paying overs for him either. Our players in a couple of years will be hoping for a bit more of the pie I'm sure. Even though I'd hope Boak's contract is front ended.

Not what we need, certainly not at the price it would cost. Neade moore talls

Melbourne would want significant compensation for Trengove if they were to let him go, which I don't think they would. He's a good enough player, an SA lad will help Toumpas stay long term, so why would they ship him off for a second round pick?
They'd give him off probably to a Hawthorn or someone similar who are looking to replace their elder midfielders that will be retiring soon and will be happy to give their late first round pick.

I'd like to see Ben Haren have a good year, if he can play forward he could give us some depth in the vital KPF role. He is 198 cm and 92 kg so maybe a bit light on but still we just need someone to do a job give us a bit of depth up forward, not the next incarnation of Warren Tredrea.

Same with Scott Lycett of the WCE. I'd like us to make him an offer and see what happens.

Basically we're fine in the midfield and fine in defence, we are very skinny with KPF's and Rucks so that's where we need to be focusing our recruitment in the next few years. That's what it seems to me anyway. It comes down to that old philosophical question every recruiter faces- do we recruit the best available, or do we recruit for needs?

Clearly at Port Adelaide we're recruiting for needs given what we picked up in 2013- Ken asked for speed and we got speed. I guess our 2014 intake will work the same way, ask Ken what he wants and give it to him.

But also, we are now a pretty attractive destination for footballers you would think. I mean, Adelaide is never going to be a glamour lifestyle place but if you're a footyhead player who wants to get the absolute best out of yourself and aren't feeling too sure about your team's direction and you're thinking of a change, you'd surely want your agent to give us a call. If Bryce Gibbs had footy nous instead of fashion sense he'd be thinking along these lines.
Really like this big guy - Haren doesn't look that skinny - looks pretty skilful -

I don't think Gibbs would provide the bang for buck so to speak. We could get an equal player in output for less IMO. His name is driven by draft pick selection.

Tomlinson would clearly be speculative but he could be another swing man type player we could do with. Forward who could run in the midfield.

How long does Butcher get persisted with or do we offer him and our first round pick to GWS for Tomlinson and their first round pick of 13 who was a forward? McCarthy?

I'm happy to persist with Butcher but could see a strategy of using him to upgrade also.

Think trading someout like Butcher would have a negative effect on the "we are all in this together/really tight" vibe we have at the club and I for one wanna persist with him

I wouldn't offer our 1st rounder for Melbourne's Trengove - not when a key forward is a higher priority for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back