Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Gray & Trengove are definitely on the untouchable list with Wines, Chad, Ebert & Boak, we'd have to find another way of getting the deal done & we still have others that'd spark some interest based on draft pick standing & their needs.

The one thing they need is a ready made fullback & I think Carlile would be a perfect fit for them with his Fijian background, he'd walk into their side as their best defender for the next 6 years & we could make do with Hombsch playing fullback & Clurey/O'Shea playing Jacks 3rd tall back role.

I'm not sure Bobby would be keen on a move there at first leaving a finals contender would take some convincing but a pay rise (knowing we're not paying him GWS money) would help him & his young family, then we could offer Moore & our first rounder as well.

I don't think we could part with Harts & even if we offered him I'm not sure they'd be all that keen given how many star mids they've already got that are technically performing better than him, I'd rather we keep him as we haven't seen the best from Hamish yet.

Talk about over rating your own and under rating others. Be objective mate. You love Ollie, I love Oliie, but if it came to a decision whereby I could have a generational forward (which I believe Cameron to be) and a very good midfielder, I'd take the generational forward any day of the week. The guy made All Australian as a Key position Forward, in his second year in the wooded spoon side. The guy is a out and out super star. Absolute gun Key Position Forwards do not come around very often.

Talk about over rating your own and under rating others. Be objective mate. You love Ollie, I love Oliie, but if it came to a decision whereby I could have a generational forward (which I believe Cameron to be) and a very good midfielder, I'd take the generational forward any day of the week. The guy made All Australian as a Key position Forward, in his second year in the wooded spoon side. The guy is a out and out super star. Absolute gun Key Position Forwards do not come around very often.

Our midfield would be a mess without Ollie it's not just that he is loved by one and all it's that his value to our structure is up there with Jacko... We lose Ollie Cameron is of no value.

I couldn't agree more with this. Ollie can be replaced.

Ollie Wines is a contested ball winning beast - and that's in his second year!

Our game style is built around winning contested ball to then get it to the outside and move it quickly. Atm, Wines is the by far the best at the club in doing that - again, only in his second year.

On the untouchable list for me

The team he is in is not a factor. Fev kicked 99 goals in a side that won the wooden spoon by 3 games. Camerons a kid, may be the best for a decade, damn good chance that he wont be to.

Dude you need to chill. Your posts are answering your own questions and have a supremely biased and twisted sense of a players worth.

The one of real interest who is out of contract and will leave GWS this year is Jaksch. Bulldogs maybe favourite to pick him up at present but that's only based on the fact that is from Melbourne and supported them as a junior but Jaksch did point out in an interview earlier in the year that he wasn't home sick which I think suggests he wouldn't mind coming here if that happened to eventuate.

Dude you need to chill. Your posts are answering your own questions and have a supremely biased and twisted sense of a players worth.
No. Everyone's singing the praises of a bloke who had a solitary good year out of three. Wines is a significantly better player, and more important to us then a key forward because if he does not win the hard clearances who does? He also re-signed rather then making us squirm or chasing the go home factor along with big money at Carlton or another big Victorian club. We cannot expect loyalty from our players if we wont give it to them. I could understand if these were mid range players being discussed, but they are our cream.

We are talking about the possibility of trading Wines, yet we would be absolutely outraged if he chose to leave. Almost to man earlier this year the one signature we all wanted was his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Everyone's singing the praises of a bloke who had a solitary good year out of three. Wines is a significantly better player, and more important to us then a key forward because if he does not win the hard clearances who does? He also re-signed rather then making us squirm or chasing the go home factor along with big money at Carlton or another big Victorian club. We cannot expect loyalty from our players if we wont give it to them. I could understand if these were mid range players being discussed, but they are our cream.

We are talking about the possibility of trading Wines, yet we would be absolutely outraged if he chose to leave. Almost to man earlier this year the one signature we all wanted was his.

Bingo well said.Plus there isn't away in hell ww would ever trade Wines no matter what it was for, same with Hartlett. Only way we could ever make a Cameron trade work is a 3/4 way deal as I feel we would never deal a key pillar out, amd in our AFL history I don't think we ever have unless they've wanted out like Josh Carr did to go home, and that gutter trash who ended up at Carlton

Whilst general sentiment of what you say is a quite true and right, I can not agree with the bolded part.

Whilst general sentiment of what you say is a quite true and right, I can not agree with the bolded part.
I can agree with that to a point. But as it stands right now, Wines is keeping that midfield afloat, and is the only genuinely hard inside clearance player in there. KPF's are massively important no doubt, but Wines is critical, that may change, hopefully it does and the load is spread more evenly.

As for who is the better player, I still believe it to be Ollie, someone who has had two top years, and has proven himself capable of withstanding finals pressure. Cameron may not be up to it (In all likelihood he will be), we have no way of knowing.

Wines isn't going anywhere. This has nothing to do with pulling the fabric of the club apart. That's not what we are discussing nor is it my issue with what you've said.

My issue is that your inflating wines and severely underrating Jezza.

All of your arguments to why Jezza is not worth much are actually why he is worth lots.

2nd year all aus / almost coleman in the worst team.
* Fev kicked 99 in the bottom of the ladder team. Are you seriously that short sighted to not remember him as the best full forward of his time. Immensely talented idiot. Every club wanted one.
KPF which is already up there with the best and he's barely 21. Hawkins, Tippet, Walker, Schulz etc all took a while to become dominant forwards. This kid has been doing it from day dot.
Has been plagued by injury, still leading GWS goalkicking. Joke. When you consider they have patton and tomlison in the team.

Wines isn't going anywhere. This has nothing to do with pulling the fabric of the club apart. That's not what we are discussing nor is it my issue with what you've said.

My issue is that your inflating wines and severely underrating Jezza.

All of your arguments to why Jezza is not worth much are actually why he is worth lots.

2nd year all aus / almost coleman in the worst team.
* Fev kicked 99 in the bottom of the ladder team. Are you seriously that short sighted to not remember him as the best full forward of his time. Immensely talented idiot. Every club wanted one.
KPF which is already up there with the best and he's barely 21. Hawkins, Tippet, Walker, Schulz etc all took a while to become dominant forwards. This kid has been doing it from day dot.
Has been plagued by injury, still leading GWS goalkicking. Joke. When you consider they have patton and tomlison in the team.
Not inflating Wines. If you do not think he is that good, that's your call. In precisely the same way I do not rate Cameron that highly. Frankly I don't care if you agree with or like what I have to say, I certainly don't like the 'tone' of your responses.

Why do all of you want to destroy the culture within our group?

No way we should trade wines or Hartlett. Culture is the most important thing in a premiership winning side.

Champion team>>>>>>team of champions

Not true.

Look at Hawthorn, they got rid of Kennedy and McGlynn in order to recruit players that fitted their specific needs, e.g Lake, Burgoyne, Hale, Gunston.

Pretty sure they will go hard at Frawley to replace Lake at the end of this year.

Do you honestly think Hartlett has reached his full potential?

If I had to include Hartlett in a deal to get Cameron, I would not be able to sign the paperwork quickly enough. We are talking about KPF who has the ability to kick a large number of goals during the season against an average midfielder who is still yet to show his true value after 5-6 seasons in the system. Hartlett should be making more of an impact in games than what he has been.

There are always untouchables on your list and Ollie fits into that category.

Not true.

Look at Hawthorn, they got rid of Kennedy and McGlynn in order to recruit players that fitted their specific needs, e.g Lake, Burgoyne, Hale, Gunston.

Pretty sure they will go hard at Frawley to replace Lake at the end of this year.

If I had to include Hartlett in a deal to get Cameron, I would not be able to sign the paperwork quickly enough. We are talking about KPF who has the ability to kick a large number of goals during the season against an average midfielder who is still yet to show his true value after 5-6 seasons in the system. Hartlett should be making more of an impact in games than what he has been.

Kennedy and McGlynn were both struggling at Hawthorn and neither could claim a permanent spot in the Hawks teams. Also, neither player was a part of the leadership team at the club - like Hartlett is with ours.

IF the talk of Cameron leaving GWS is true then unless we have a top 5 or 6 player from our club - that fits what they want too - that is prepared to leave and go play for GWS willingly we won't be part of the action.

We simply haven't the depth of talent without cutting hard in to our 'soul', and we won't have a low enough draft pick to carry any substantial trade over the line.

The only possible way Cameron could end up here is if he openly tells GWS he wants to come here, to us. Even then I still can't see any way that a trade would get done without it being too costly.

Many seem to forget - a player being traded has to agree to being traded to start with. You won't find many of our top handful of players willingly wanting to go play for GWS.

Early draft picks grouped together with aging decent players will get this one over the line if it ever does happen.

Not true.

Thank god there's been one sensible post in this thread today.

Cameron would have arguably the greatest trade value of any player in the AFL at the moment.

We'll probably need to give up 2 first team players and a draft pick or something similar.

But it would absolutely be worth it. Guys like that don't come around often. He's still kicking a heap of goals this year despite playing a fair bit in defence.

Well Cameron injures his ankles like he's a Port Adelaide player...

slow week for port supporters. This thread has taken off.

Everyone loves a good trade thread.

I don't know- let's wait and see what the Giants want from us first. (assuming Cameron wants to come to Port). If they ask for Stephenson, Heath and our 2nd rounder... why tell em we'll pay more? :thumbsu:

I can see 2 sides to the argument re a trade of a young gun for a forward being potentially worth it, but with the club needing to be mindful of ramifications as far as player morale and comraderie is concerned. I think the Hawthorn situation is slightly different to an SA club, because of the fact that the majority of AFL clubs are in Victoria (there are different dynamics in player movement in a state that has 10 clubs, as opposed to a state that has 2).

Whilst I wouldn't want to get rid of Wines, I could foresee something like this potentially happening -

Wines to Geelong; Geelong give up Horlin-Smith (Port) & Harry Taylor (GWS)
Cameron to Collingwood; Collingwood give up Scharenberg (Port), Kennedy (GWS)
Scharenberg & Horlin-Smith to Port; Port give up Wines

With picks to be involved to balance it out.

In that scenario, if Wines said "if you want me to be in a trade, I will be prepared to go; If you want me to stay, I'll stay" - it would then be up to the club to say "yes" or "no".

Re above - I'm not saying lets trade Wines, but what I'm saying is, it could happen, and if it did, it wouldn't have a huge impact on player morale given that he would be unlikely to be disgruntled if he moved to Geelong (as opposed to GWS!).

Suggestion of trading a member of the leadership group is bad enough

But trading wines, a key player in our rise up the ladder, is the worst decision our club could possible make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back