Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

English mother (I think), so to go over and play county cricket he has to have an english passport so he is going to utilise this but a Sheffield Shield team is only allowed one player who is considered overseas e.g. Michael Hogan

Thanks (wasn't aware he had an English mum).

Bye the way, cricket in SA may be a basket case but you are to be congratulated for providing some commentary on the live stream of the shield games. Kudos to whoever is responsible for that (probably not SACA I don't think).

Last edited:
Thanks (wasn't aware he had an English mum).

Bye the way, cricket in SA may be a basket case but you are to be congratulated for providing some commentary on the live stream of the shield games. Kudos to whoever is responsible for that (probably not SACA I don't think).

Could be father, should've said english parent. Pity it's not worth watching from my point of view :(

With Head and Cosgrove taking wickets and Zampa making runs I think the Redbacks are not picking the side correctly.

With Head and Cosgrove taking wickets and Zampa making runs I think the Redbacks are not picking the side correctly.
We're picking the correct side, just got the order wrong.

Can someone explain to me how Cosgrove, born and bred in Australia as I understand it, can possibly be classed as an overseas player? :confused:
Cosgrove has played County Cricket for many years - even the years when he wasn't playing domestically here. Due to his dual passport status, he has been able to play in the UK, without meeting the international criteria. Leicester will be coached by Andrew McDonald next year and have signed Clint McKay as their pro, for Cosgrove to play he must sign as a local which he will do at the end of this summer. That will change his status as you can only have it one way.

Cosgrove has played County Cricket for many years - even the years when he wasn't playing domestically here. Due to his dual passport status, he has been able to play in the UK, without meeting the international criteria. Leicester will be coached by Andrew McDonald next year and have signed Clint McKay as their pro, for Cosgrove to play he must sign as a local which he will do at the end of this summer. That will change his status as you can only have it one way.
If Cosgrove was loyal to his state of birth, he would go to a different county and play as their overseas player or just quit playing there. It's abusrd that he has to play as an international for the state he was born in.

If Cosgrove was loyal to his state of birth, he would go to a different county and play as their overseas player or just quit playing there. It's abusrd that he has to play as an international for the state he was born in.
He has made a business decision, he'll play more county cricket going forward than he will Sheffield Shield.

He has made a business decision, he'll play more county cricket going forward than he will Sheffield Shield.
That's fair enough. I just find it crap how he has to play as an international when he was born here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care to elaborate?
The rules regarding dual passport players were relaxed to allow players some room to move with regard to allegiances. Australia did this in the hope luring Sam Robson back to play for NSW after he performed well for Middlesex before choosing which country to play for. It was unsuccessful.

Care to elaborate?

Robson wasn't allowed to play for NSW due to playing for Middlesex (through his English mother). He spent several years at Middlesex, gained citizenship and is now England's incumbent opening batsman though his position is not secure.

Due to the media outcry Cricket Australia brought in the 'Robson rule' to allow shield teams to play one dual national. This was brought in time for the 2013/14 season and Michael Hogan who had just taken up an English passport to play for Glamorgan was the beneficiary and played for WA last season and against this season.

Next season it appears that Cosgrove will play for South Australia and Cooper will probably play for someone using this rule

The rules regarding dual passport players were relaxed to allow players some room to move with regard to allegiances. Australia did this in the hope luring Sam Robson back to play for NSW after he performed well for Middlesex before choosing which country to play for. It was unsuccessful.
Robson wasn't allowed to play for NSW due to playing for Middlesex (through his English mother). He spent several years at Middlesex, gained citizenship and is now England's incumbent opening batsman though his position is not secure.

Due to the media outcry Cricket Australia brought in the 'Robson rule' to allow shield teams to play one dual national. This was brought in time for the 2013/14 season and Michael Hogan who had just taken up an English passport to play for Glamorgan was the beneficiary and played for WA last season and against this season.

Next season it appears that Cosgrove will play for South Australia and Cooper will probably play for someone using this rule
Aaahhhh.....

This might be a dumb question but is Sam Robson related to the English tennis player Laura Robson? Only I'm pretty sure she was born here or spent some of her childhood here.

Nope.

His father is high up in Cricket NSW though.

His brother is also a dual national playing county cricket.

Sam Hain is another youngster who England appear to have poached. Though his family are British via Hong Kong so identifying strongly with England makes sense

If somebody has dual citizenship they should be able to play as a local for both County and Australia. Am I the only one who thinks that?

If somebody has dual citizenship they should be able to play as a local for both County and Australia. Am I the only one who thinks that?
No you can't have it both ways. Both countries have limits in place to ensure local talent is fostered. Dual Passport players effectively get the benefits of playing in both system, which is a benefit not many others receive these days unless they are an international.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back