Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew career stats would be thrown into it, White is a better fielder/catcher (one of the best in Australia). But his batting in Sheffield Shield has been nothing special for a number of seasons now.

Very true, but for memory, Klinger had just come off 3 or 4 very ordinary seasons with Victoria before he came to Adelaide in 2008-09, and he scored over 1200 Sheffield Shield runs that season.

Which means he gets forced out due to Cosgrove being an overseas player
Cosgrove is single handedly ruining this team.

Ok. Not quite single handedly but you know what I mean.

Which means he gets forced out due to Cosgrove being an overseas player

Why's this the case? I know about the overseas player issues, but have SA signed Cosgrove up on a big, multi-year contract that they can't get out of or something?

I preface every comment I make about Cosgrove in order to make it clear I think there are positives and negatives when it comes to Cosgrove. He is an experienced cricketer with a lot of potential. He is certainly good enough to be playing Sheffield Shield cricket but lets himself down with his lack of fitness and apparent laziness.

As it stands in 2014-015, Cosgrove is the third highest run scorer in the team with 489 runs @ 37.62, recently passed by Cooper's 100 which took him to 544 runs. Batsmen such as Head, Smith, and certainly Ross don't measure up to Cosgrove in comparison.

People are getting head up over the fact he replaced Klinger. Sure, Klinger is having a fine season for WA, especially against SA, but let's look at his previous 2 seasons for SA shall we? Last season he made one score, a 213. The other 15 innings realised 355 runs @ 25.35. The previous season he totalled 330 runs @ 19.41. Hardly the sort of performance that would guarantee him a spot in any side. Cosgrove's 2014-15 performances are far superior to those.

In view of the fact I have two mates who were dropped from the Redbacks with averages in low 40s, just shows that reputations have the power to keep you playing long after you should have been dropped. There is no guarantee that Klinger would have made the Redbacks team at the beginning of the season, and by his own admission, his current form is fuelled by revenge on the Redbacks. Pity his motivation to prove people wrong is greater than proving the Redbacks selectors right for standing by him over a dismal couple of years.

The recruitment of Cosgrove hasn't been as poor a decision as people are imagining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting thing about Michael Klinger is that he might actually be the most average player to have a 10 + season career in recent shield history. He's now got 14 Australian FC seasons under his belt, and including this season, and he's got an average higher than 40 in 4 of them. That's...very average. In his last 4 seasons with SA, he scored 4 tons in them, and he got more than 15 innings in each of those seasons. he was failing a lot more than he was succeeding. He's not Chris Rogers, y'know. His season with WA is very very impressive, but he hasn't been near this level for yonks and who knows what happens if he stays at SA.

I think if SA were only looking at this from a shield perspective, their decision to not do a 2 year deal can be justified. I'm not sure I would have done it, but no way would I have automatically matched WA's deal because I couldn't imagine life without the amazing Michael Klinger. Obviously though, if you look beyond just the shield, it probably should have been matched. But it's a bit difficult coz we don't know SA plans. Maybe they thought they would have Hughes with them all summer, and the season after they would really start pushing Kelvin Smith, leading to Klinger being less important. For a state has produced * all for Australian cricket for so many years, maybe they really were focused on producing some Australian test cricketers, and a 2 year deal for Klinger didn't match that picture, so they let him walk. Cosgrove didn't match that I suppose either, but you know what? I can't actually find details reguarding Cosgrove's contract. He rejected a 2 year deal from Tassie for "Family and personal reasons", signed in SA, and then signed his county deal, although it appears that hasn't actually been signed yet. Maybe Cosgrove only has one year deal with SA. They were fine with an one year deal with Klinger, remember.

(The only special thing about Klinger's shield career, btw, is that he's got like 15 shield tons over those many seasons, and he's got 7 scores over 150. Which leads to stuff like his 11-12 season, where he hit 3 figures once, but it was a 219* late in the season which pushed him over the 40 average mark )

Cossie unveiled as captain of Leicester - the mob Andrew McDonald is coaching. I rate Macca very highly in many areas, but I'm baffled by this.
Cossie getting handed everything on a silver platter at the minute.

Cossie unveiled as captain of Leicester - the mob Andrew McDonald is coaching. I rate Macca very highly in many areas, but I'm baffled by this.

There was a long discussion on the TMS podcast (Radio 5 Live) about English cricket between four ex-players - Gooch, Butcher, Giles and Harmison.

At one point there was a discussion about the role of coaches and captains, and the gist was that they need to work in tandem.

It's worth listening to the whole discussion, but it makes me think that McDonald believes that he and Cosgrove have similar philosophies on the game, and that what one can't do, the other can.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/tms/tms_20150310-2134a.mp3

Get it while you can. ^

There was a long discussion on the TMS podcast (Radio 5 Live) about English cricket between four ex-players - Gooch, Butcher, Giles and Harmison.

At one point there was a discussion about the role of coaches and captains, and the gist was that they need to work in tandem.

It's worth listening to the whole discussion, but it makes me think that McDonald believes that he and Cosgrove have similar philosophies on the game, and that what one can't do, the other can.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/tms/tms_20150310-2134a.mp3

Get it while you can. ^
Yeah heard it and agree it was very good - while I agree Cosgrove has a good cricket brain, I'm not sure he would be my choice, but given Leicester are so low they probably don't have many options.

I don't know Cosgrove, I know McDonald reasonably well and he has a cricket brain as good as anyone, but it's just a shame he can't get out on the park and Captain, because that's where the real genius would appear.

Cossie has got a good cricket brain. That side of captaining I think he'll be good.

Obviously falls down in some other areas.

Yep. You need to look at the overall package. Cossie was captain of his grade club in a Grand Final several years ago. He was in the game early, did a fair bit of bowling, I was impressed by his use of bowlers and field placements, but then he appeared to get tired. He took himself out of slip and fielded on the boundary for awhile, and I'm old fashioned, I like my captains close to the action where they can talk to bowlers, etc.

They had the opposition 6/98, then 8/134, but they finished with 8/261 which won the game. If Cossie was interested in the captaincy, I'd look him square in the eyes and say, "Look mate, a captain needs to lead by example. You can't even consider it unless you are prepared to lose at least 10kg and show you are fair dinkum". You never know, he may surprise. You can do anything provided you really want to do it.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/851245.html

Ryan Harris rips into the SACA

Something Graham Manou told me about the 2009 Ashes tour was how different it was being in the Australian side versus South Australia in terms of the attitude to defeat. It was "How did we lose that, we can't be losing games" rather than "Oh well, we're not good enough again."
I don't know what it was with the South Australian team because at the time I was around the team we had a good side. But it was just finding ways to win games. We didn't know how to do it. In Queensland it struck me when I moved here how much fighting spirit they had. We won games from where we shouldn't have - the Queensland boys just had that determination never to give up. That was similar to what I found with the Australian side and the mentality they had. Whereas SA, we just didn't seem to believe we could do it in certain positions in games. With the side we had - Lehmann, Blewett, Gillespie, David Fitzgerald, Ben Johnson, Brad Young, Paul Rofe, we had a really good side, but just not enough to win things. In the whole eight years, I think we finished fourth once, very close to the Shield final but never got there. And years later they still haven't.

Around the time you moved to Queensland there was this whisper campaign along the lines of: we need to move Ryan because we need to change the culture. It looks an outlandish claim now.
The culture at the time wasn't too bad. We were starting to win and I was starting to take wickets. I never really knew about that. I know when I left, Ian McLachlan [then SACA president] said it wasn't a big loss, I only took 37 wickets. Whether or not they were happy to see me go, who cares. History shows it was probably a mistake for them, like it has been every time they seem to establish a team and get good players, then let them go because of some sort of dispute - like Michael Klinger or Mark Cosgrove. At the time I felt there was an issue with Northern Districts players because they let me go, they let Graham go, they let Darren go, and they let Cossie go. But it was just coincidental.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back