News Redden on the road (bike) to recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

IMHO we now have to throw the kitchen sink at recruiting a ready made ruckman over the off season to help out Lobbe. Renouf is not that player for two reasons: 1) He is injury prone himself 2) Doesn't do enough around the ground to hurt the opposition.

So my next question is: Who is available in the AFL to be lured to Alberton apart from Lycett? Is there a mature aged ruckman in the SANFL that is worth a punt?

All the best Red Dog.

throw the kitchen sink?

i think the reality is that lobbe is a very good ruckman , and i think he plays best as a stand lone ruck who rucks 85% of the game. i dont think he will play anywhere as well rucking with say 50-60% game time splitting it with another ruck.

so if we bring in any ruckman who isnt a very good forward/defender then we are essentially just buying a break in case of glass if lobbe goes down and redden still isnt fit or in form.

throwing the kitchen sink at a player for that would be inresponsible spending in my opinion. a drew petrie type who can ruck and play forward would be ideal , although if lobbe went down you would want a stand alone guy who could ruck and a forward / ruck wouldnt really be the best solution. its a ruck we need for that situation.

if insurance is what we are looking for then we should be looking at paying an appropriate price. throwing the kitchen sink at a player to play maggies most of the year unless lobbe goes down isnt the best way forward. playing 2 rucks wont work unless the ruck is a great forward, we as a side like to run.

if we think renouf isnt up to it and he may well not be as he seems to be going backwards at a rate of knots this year just rookie a the best maturing young ruck in australia.

throw the kitchen sink?

i think the reality is that lobbe is a very good ruckman , and i think he plays best as a stand lone ruck who rucks 85% of the game. i dont think he will play anywhere as well rucking with say 50-60% game time splitting it with another ruck.

so if we bring in any ruckman who isnt a very good forward/defender then we are essentially just buying a break in case of glass if lobbe goes down and redden still isnt fit or in form.

throwing the kitchen sink at a player for that would be inresponsible spending in my opinion. a drew petrie type who can ruck and play forward would be ideal , although if lobbe went down you would want a stand alone guy who could ruck and a forward / ruck wouldnt really be the best solution. its a ruck we need for that situation.

if insurance is what we are looking for then we should be looking at paying an appropriate price. throwing the kitchen sink at a player to play maggies most of the year unless lobbe goes down isnt the best way forward. playing 2 rucks wont work unless the ruck is a great forward, we as a side like to run.

if we think renouf isnt up to it and he may well not be as he seems to be going backwards at a rate of knots this year just rookie a the best maturing young ruck in australia.

I'm no fan of Renouf but that part is just plain wrong. He's doing miles better than he has the last couple of years.

throw the kitchen sink?

Tend to disagree on this one. What happens if, God forbid Lobbe goes down with a serious shoulder or knee injury? We are screwed, that's what, especially if Reddo is still on the sidelines. Even if the Big Red dog does manage to get up for the start of next season he would not have kicked a ball in anger for a good 18-24 months. It is going to take him sometime to adapt and catch up to the intensity of AFL football.

I would love a player who could play that fwd/ruck role, infact I would also prefer a player like that then just a stand alone ruckman. What are our options currently if Lobbe & Redden are unavailable?? Renouf? Please no, he is a liability and we would get creamed around the stoppages. As much as I like seeing Jacko pinch hit in the rucks every now and again, he is to important down back to spend more then 10-15% playing as a ruck. As for Westoff, IMO plays his least effective footy as a ruck.

When he comes back forget about running he doesn't need to run. I never saw lade run anywhere. Just ruck and goal square is all he needs to do.

Renouf has to step up obviously with Lobbe needing a rest at some point even if injury doesn't strike.

Renouf purely as a tap ruckman is OK, we know he struggles in general play but maybe we can hone his game a bit better now with the maggies setup. He doesn't need to be a star away from ruck just a bit smarter.

And best of luck to Redden he's a bewdy & has plenty time on his side

Last edited:
When did kitchen sinks get so expensive?

If we could get a tippet type quality forward who can ruck well if need be, that would be worth throwing a lot at if Butcher doesn't improve much by season's end.

Mid season draft seems like it will never happen maybe they could make a rule for 2 mid year rookie additions, maybe each team could nominate 3 or 4 players before the season starts as possibles? I dunno just musing

Story on Jarrad Redden on Today Tonight helping out a mate who suffered a brain injury in a car accident and not eligible for compensation. Redden's family is helping raise funds for a piece of equipment that will help the mate and others in his situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrad's going to ride 200km to raise money for a motorised Quadriciser motorised therapy system to continually exercise the person with the brain injury.

Quadriciser
With the Quadriciser motorized therapy system, those who are unable to walk can simulate reciprocal movements of walking while lying in the supine position. This cross-crawl pattern stimulates the brain and improves muscle function. The Quadriciser is a total body therapy system that offers a wide variety of therapies to those who are unable to move by themselves. As the user progresses, a more active therapy session may be obtained through simple adjustments of tension, speed, and resistance, thus providing even further results.
Quadriciser

Back on the bike?
BvnrYxdCEAA2kV-.jpg

Can this thread not be bumped please. I'm sure im not the only one that had a minor heart attack.....
Caused me to swear on the tram out of the blue. Oops.

Can this thread not be bumped please. I'm sure im not the only one that had a minor heart attack.....

Maybe it can be renamed? "Reddens Road to Recovery"?

Yes and yes. Old injury threads are a heart-stopper at times, I thought Jarrad might have had a relapse.

Will be a like a new recruit. A tall forward option and vying for lead ruck status. Before Lobbe's remarkable ascension Redden was clearly our best ruckman.

Will be a like a new recruit. A tall forward option and vying for lead ruck status. Before Lobbe's remarkable ascension Redden was clearly our best ruckman.

I've almost forgotten that Lobbe used to be rather pathetic in the ruck. Thankfully times have changed in a rather massive way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back