Draft Review 2005 - Redo the 2005 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy is not a front runner. But I get it; it's just soooo easy to pull out stupid cliches when you have nothing genuine to add. And yes, Pendles has been the better player this last two years. Not sure why you've bothered quoting me though, as nothing I said was wrong. It wasn't a prediction of the future, it was a call of the past and present as it stood at that time. Overall :thumbsdown: post!
It probably was an unnecessary repost but I do think even you would probably rethink your last line. Murphy is a very good footballer but will never 'slip past' Pendlebury. Pendlebury would probably be the most consistent 'A' grade midfielder in the league.

It probably was an unnecessary repost but I do think even you would probably rethink your last line. Murphy is a very good footballer but will never 'slip past' Pendlebury. Pendlebury would probably be the most consistent 'A' grade midfielder in the league.

Ablett?

No. I probably wouldn't re-think my last line. It still wouldn't surprise me if Murphy slipped passed Pendles again, i.e. have a better season next year and after for example. I'm happy to give Pendlebury his credit; he's been more consistent than Murphy and overall has been the better player over their careers thus far. Back when that post of mine was made, it was a far more arguable proposition though, but even then I gave the nod to Pendles. Perhaps in 5 years from now it may be more arguable again, but the status quo would have to shift markedly from where it sits now, which is Pendles comfortably ahead. I wouldn't predict it happening, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did either, not one little bit.

No. I probably wouldn't re-think my last line. It still wouldn't surprise me if Murphy slipped passed Pendles again, i.e. had a better season next year for example. I'm happy to give Pendlebury his credit; he's been more consistent than Murphy and overall has been the better player over their careers thus far. Back when that post of mine was made, it was a far more arguable proposition though. Perhaps it may be again in 5 years from now, but the status quo would have to shift markedly from where it sits now, which is Pendles comfortably ahead. I wouldn't predict it happening, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did either.
We always know a little more about our own teams ands naturally have more faith in our own players as a result. All I know is that Pendlebury prepares better than any other player at Collingwood. He chooses to stand in freezing cold water in the bay every day, not just the mandatory day after recovery session and is by far the most professional player in the club. This is why he continues to improve each year and why I feel it difficult for anyone to improve anymore than what he will in any year.

Ablett is a better player but his bad games are worse. I can't remember the last time Pendlebury got less than 20 possessions in a game. Ablett did this week!

Looked back it was r10 last year when he broke his leg in the first quarter against Gold Coast. He only had 17 disposals that day.

We always know a little more about our own teams ands naturally have more faith in our own players as a result. All I know is that Pendlebury prepares better than any other player at Collingwood. He chooses to stand in freezing cold water in the bay every day, not just the mandatory day after recovery session and is by far the most professional player in the club. This is why he continues to improve each year and why I feel it difficult for anyone to improve anymore than what he will in any year.

There's already been young players like Cotchin and Dangerfield who've beaten the curve in this regard. For him and Murphy though, history shows it's already happened between these players. Up until last season, these guys were basically going blow for blow. Murphy has fallen well off the pace now, but he's a quality player and has shown the high level of form he can achieve when on song. Like I said, I wouldn't predict Murphy will slip by him again, but I wouldn't be surprised by it either.

There's already been young players like Cotchin and Dangerfield who've beaten the curve in this regard. For him and Murphy though, history shows it's already happened between these players. Up until last season, these guys were basically going blow for blow. Murphy has fallen well off the pace now, but he's a quality player and has shown the high level of form he can achieve when on song. Like I said, I wouldn't predict Murphy will slip by him again, but I wouldn't be surprised by it either.
They haven't gone past him though and young players obviously spike in their first few years. Then their improvement is more linear dependent on workrate. Murphy and Pendlebury are the same age and both went through this initial spike together.

I love pendles but that's a ridiculous comment. Abletts had one bad game in what 5 years?

To be fair, Ablett isn't an A-Grader. He is so far beyond that it isn't funny

Ablett is a better player but his bad games are worse. I can't remember the last time Pendlebury got less than 20 possessions in a game. Ablett did this week!

Whoa. Step away from your team for a moment, sir. Pendles is very, very, very good, (better than Murphy) but Ablett is a one off. He's carried Gold Coast single handed for three years, probably deserved to go back-to-back in the Brownlow in 2010 over Swan and yes, Judd, and should snag another this year if there is any sort of justice.

Pendles did it twice last year. On the weekend was the first time Ablett had under 20 touches since R16 2010 (barring a match against Sydney in 2011 that he was injured in the 1st quarter). In fact Ablett hasn't had under 25 touches in a game other than the match on Sat night.

Pendles is extremely consistent, no doubt, probably clearly the 2nd best and most consistent mid in the game

Whoa. Step away from your team for a moment, sir. Pendles is very, very, very good, (better than Murphy) but Ablett is a one off. He's carried Gold Coast single handed for three years, probably deserved to go back-to-back in the Brownlow in 2010 over Swan and yes, Judd, and should snag another this year if there is any sort of justice.
Where did I say anything that disagrees with that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They haven't gone past him though and young players obviously spike in their first few years.

Of course. I'm just pointing out there are indeed players who will improve from one year to the next at a rate of knots faster than Pendlebury. As for Cotchin or Dangerfield having gone passed him ... some would have been arguing otherwise last year or at the beginning of this year.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Dale Thomas
3. Grant Birchall
4. Marc Murphy
5. Josh Kennedy
6. Andrew Swallow
7. Matthew Stokes
8. Nathan Jones
9. Richard Douglas
10. Travis Varcoe

Sam Gilbert, Shannon Hurn stiff

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Dale Thomas
3. Grant Birchall
4. Marc Murphy
5. Josh Kennedy
6. Andrew Swallow
7. Matthew Stokes
8. Nathan Jones
9. Richard Douglas
10. Travis Varcoe

Terrible effort. Thomas at 2? Douglas and Varcoe above Jack, Ryder, Priddis, Hurn, and Giles? Nah.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Dale Thomas
3. Grant Birchall
4. Marc Murphy
5. Josh Kennedy
6. Andrew Swallow
7. Matthew Stokes
8. Nathan Jones
9. Richard Douglas
10. Travis Varcoe

WOW you have made a lot of questionable call here. In particular your number 9 and 10 I feel are very wrong. The rest is not a made effort. Ryder would be in there though definitely and Priddis would be there abouts.

WOW you have made a lot of questionable call here. In particular your number 9 and 10 I feel are very wrong. The rest is not a made effort. Ryder would be in there though definitely and Priddis would be there abouts.
Douglas - a bnf winner and all australian nominee
Varcoe - premiership player
I didn't do it including the rookie draft it is only the national draft so some might be left out.

Douglas - a bnf winner and all australian nominee
Varcoe - premiership player
I didn't do it including the rookie draft it is only the national draft so some might be left out.

Hahahahahaha worst reasoning ever. Renouf is also a premiership player I guess he would have gone top 10 in the 2006 draft. If you think teams would take Douglas ahead of Ryder, Priddis and even Clark then I think you may be a tad too bias.

Pendles clear no1 ATM, Murph and Thomas have excuses, speaking from experience I'd rate Pendles much higher than Thomas though, Murph's best is awesome and consistent, but Pendles has him covered to date.

Hahahahahaha worst reasoning ever. Renouf is also a premiership player I guess he would have gone top 10 in the 2006 draft. If you think teams would take Douglas ahead of Ryder, Priddis and even Clark then I think you may be a tad too bias.

Look mate I couldn't give a * about other teams wanting those players. Douglas is a criminally underrated player, if he was playing for a victorian team he would be getting the hype. Priddis would not go high in this draft because he is so un versatile and cannot play another role. Clark hasn't done s**t. I think Varcoe has proven a lot so far with his crumbing goals and forward pressure.

I was doing it on the national draft not on the rookies. What has Ryder and Giles done that Douglas hasn't?

You have to include all players that were drafted in that year, whether it is ND/PSD/Rookie or Scholarship holder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back