Draft Review 2005 - Redo the 2005 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He has always been lazy. Swallow gives everything he has in every game. If Ryder had his work ethic he would be competing with Pendles for the number 1 spot.

Not even sure it's laziness. He lacks the killer instinct of all the true gun players and struggles with the level of thinking required to play AFL.

Deledio's far too inconsistent. Goddard had one good GF. Neither of those two have ever been a top 5 mid.

Goddard was talked up as the best player in the league at one point in time (though I still had Ablett and maybe Pendlebury ahead at the time) and was a whiskers short of being a Norm Smith Medalist in 2010, and has shown to be a great player and leader (yada yada finger pointing) through a tumultuous time at Essendon. Murphy has never reached those heights.

Brett Deledio is the most important and best player at a top 8 standard club and by rights should have gotten captaincy ahead of Cotchin. He is not only faster than Murphy, he's got better skills (I can only think of a dozen in Lids' league when kicking the ball), and a far better leader.
Deledio's far too inconsistent. Goddard had one good GF. Neither of those two have ever been a top 5 mid.
Deledio is the epitome of consistency. Goddard had a two year period where he was a top 3 mid in the game.

Marc Murphy has never entered the top 20 in the game, both Deledio and definitely Goddard have.

I would take all of Robbie Gray, Josh Kennedy, Tom Hawkins, Todd Goldstein and Kurt Tippett over Bryce Gibbs. So he's the 9th best available (7th if you discount f/s) best player from that draft. Murphy is about right, whilst Kreuzer is ridiculously overrated.
Yeah i did it pretty rushed just off wikipedia before I went to basketball

Disagree about Tippet though and Kreuzer

Goddard was talked up as the best player in the league at one point in time (though I still had Ablett and maybe Pendlebury ahead at the time) and was a whiskers short of being a Norm Smith Medalist in 2010, and has shown to be a great player and leader (yada yada finger pointing) through a tumultuous time at Essendon. Murphy has never reached those heights.

Brett Deledio is the most important and best player at a top 8 standard club and by rights should have gotten captaincy ahead of Cotchin. He is not only faster than Murphy, he's got better skills (I can only think of a dozen in Lids' league when kicking the ball), and a far better leader.

Deledio is the epitome of consistency. Goddard had a two year period where he was a top 3 mid in the game.

Marc Murphy has never entered the top 20 in the game, both Deledio and definitely Goddard have.
Goddard wasn't even the best mid his team. Deledio was miles behind Murphy until Murph got injured a couple years ago and lids decided to wear his big boy pants.

He wasn't better than Swan, Thompson, Mitchell, Ablett, Pendlebury, Judd, Dal Santo, Goddard and even Boyd at the time.
Goddard wasn't even the best mid his team. Deledio was miles behind Murphy until Murph got injured a couple years ago and lids decided to wear his big boy pants.
Yes he was, by a fair way as well. Lids was always ahead of Murphy, except in delusional Carlton land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither was Matthew Lloyd, but he also shits on Murphy from a monumental height.

Goddard and Deledio sit well above Murphy.

Neither was Matthew Lloyd, but he also shits on Murphy from a monumental height.

Goddard and Deledio sit well above Murphy.
Disagree, might have been hasty about Goddard but Murphy is better than Lids in my opinion.

Jesus. 09/10 Goddard many considering only second to Ablett as best mid in the game.

Please tell me when Murphy was considered top 5?

He won a Leigh Matthews Trophy remember....

Geezus, we live in a world where people think the best of Murphy was better than the best of Goddard.... amazing.

Man... Are you still pissed about that 99 prelim?
Not really. That loss lead to the greatest season of all time.

But I see you're done arguing the point so I now know that you've conceded defeat.

Disagree, might have been hasty about Goddard but Murphy is better than Lids in my opinion.

Well you can disagree - but you'd be wrong. In nowhere but Carlton land is Murphy better than either player. If not for Ablett, Goddard was probably considered the best player in the game for about three years. And Deledio has consistently outperformed him.

Right... It was more sorta we're gonna agree to disagree.

If I said to you that Richie Vandenberg was a better player than Gary Ablett?

But hey, let's agree to disagree.

Well you can disagree - but you'd be wrong. In nowhere but Carlton land is Murphy better than either player. If not for Ablett, Goddard was probably considered the best player in the game for about three years. And Deledio has consistently outperformed him.
If not for Ablett Goddard would have been the best? Can I get your dealers number bro?

Marc Murphy is a clear number 2 in this draft behind Pendles anyone who disagrees either cant get past the carlton hate or haven't paid much attention to afl since the 2006 season. 2006 aflpa best first year player he also would have won the rising star if not for missing the last half of the season with injury, AFLCA player of the year 2011 an extremely difficult award to win, 6 times he has finished top 3 in the best and fairest, in 2012 a season he missed the top 3 in the BnF he was equal favorite for the brownlow when he injured his shoulder and was a major reason our season was derailed that year, if it wasn't for competing against C.Judd and missing games last year he would have 4 or 5 BnF awards, only pendles has been as consistently good over their careers, he has also been a fantastic finals player in the 6 finals he has played in and was getting tagged in his first season, some people like to down play the smaller type mids in Murphy and cotchin but the facts are they both have been getting tagged since their first seasons that says something about how good they have been for a long time.

[he is also an Anzac day medalist, essendon and Collingwood supporters seem to put so much importance on this achievement so I might as well put it in here as well]

As i said it was a rough guide, i did it off wikipedia in ten minutes. just illustrating the point Murphy was quite a successful number one pick.

Except he wasn't.

Luke Hodge is a three time premiership captain, duel Norm Smith Medallist.

Nick Riewoldt is a five time All Australian, and one of the best CHFs in the games history.

Adam Cooney was a Brownlow medallist.

Brendon Goddard was arguably the best player in the league for three years.

Murphy is not a spud, but he is far from a great.

Looking purely at stats, Murphy gets better numbers across his career than Deledio. This is while getting tagged in pretty much every game he's ever played.

The other Essendon poster also seems to point out that Richmond being a top 8 team at the moment impacts this discussion, if so, it must be said that across their careers Carlton has played more finals (including winning some).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back