Draft Review 2007 - Redo the 2007 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I rather have macrae and and another compo pick to match the scully compo nomsaiyan? Having Macrae, Stringer and one of Kennedy/Grundy from the first round of the draft would help.
Yeah but you did get Ward by selling a lemon, think about it as trading McMahon for pick 19 then upgrading to pick 6 a few years later.

Yeah but you did get Ward by selling a lemon, think about it as trading McMahon for pick 19 then upgrading to pick 6 a few years later.
i do try to think like that but at least we had to sell something.

Scully on the hand was orignally a priority pick generated out of nothing. And out of that nothing another 2 picks was generated down the track.

i do try to think like that but at least we had to sell something.

Scully on the hand was orignally a priority pick generated out of nothing. And out of that nothing another 2 picks was generated down the track.
Scully most likely would have been taken at number 1 by the Dees whether they had the picks 1 and 2 or just pick 1, as such Trengrove is the bonus player they were handed.

Re: re do the 2007 draft now that we know what we know

12. Hawthorn: Ben McEvoy - Hawks need a ruckman and he looks to be very good and can take a good mark.
who would have thought...

Couldn't agree more. Ward gets in the ball in right and also does the tackles and the 1%s. Whereas Cotchin does the 1-2s and chip kicks sideways and backwards in the back half.
How did he go the other night?

Think he was talking about Ward
Yeah.
All bullshit aside Cotchin was going up and down on the spot for his standard so some criticism was warranted.
But I don't think it's a reflection on his career and he's certainly flying at the moment.
I'd say he's in career best form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah.
All bullshit aside Cotchin was going up and down on the spot for his standard so some criticism was warranted.
But I don't think it's a reflection on his career and he's certainly flying at the moment.
I'd say he's in career best form.
As a player I don't agree - his recent form has been great but his from in the second half of 2012 was still better. What is more significant has been his on field leadership. He is playing like a captain and was central to getting us back in the game after Adelaide pipped us in the last quarter. It's because of his leadership abilities that I'd still be for picking him if the draft was re-done.

Gosh this is a bad draft year

I don't agree. I think it gets underrated because some of the top picks have undoubtedly under performed and also because a lot of the players have been late developers.

But looking at it critically I think you could say the following are elite in their position:

Mids: Dangerfield, Cotchin, Ward
Key Defenders: Taylor, Thompson, Hooker, Rance
Key Forwards: Walker, Henderson (debatable but I consider him elite because he can provide quality at both ends of the ground)
Small Forwards: Rioli
Rucks: Lobbe, Mumford, Martin (debatable but based on the second half of this season he is elite)

Add in a number of A grade or borderline A grade mids such as Hanley, Ebert, Steven, Masten, Greenwood, Bird, Selwood, Myers and you have 20 odd players who you would be happy to have drafted in the first round of any draft.

Then throw in the solid role players who would be best 22 or thereabouts in most teams: McEvoy, Palmer, Mayne, Grimes, Otten, Whitecross, Bellchambers, Grima, Laidler, Curnow, Martin.

There are also a couple players who have had serious injuries but could still turn into top level AFL players in Kreuzer and Tarrant.

My top 20 would be:

1. Taylor
2. Dangerfield
3. Walker
4. Cotchin
5. Ward
6. Thompson
7. Henderson (due to ability to play both ends to a high standard)
8. Hanley (due to elite potential)
9. Rioli (lower than his talent deserves due to injuries)
10. Hooker
11. Steven (again elite potential)
12. Rance
13. Lobbe
14. Ebert
15. Mumford (potentially the best ruck in the league but injury concerns)
16. Masten
17. Martin
18. Greenwood
19. Bird
20. Selwood

That's a very good top 20 IMO. There may not be the depth of some other drafts but there is some excellent top end talent there.

Can't wait until Tex gets a full preseason to show what he can do. Danger needs to rest up ready to explode next year.
Reckon Ward, Greenwood, Hooker have pressed claims to go up higher on the list.

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Harry Taylor
3. Trent Cotchin
4. Taylor Walker
5. Callan Ward
6. Scott Thompson
7. Cale Hooker
8. Alex Rance
9. Cyril Rioli
10. Jack Steven
11. Matthew Lobbe
12. Brad Ebert
13. Scott Selwood
14. Pearce Hanley
15. Lachie Henderson
16. Shane Mumford
17. Chris Mayne
18. Craig Bird
19. Levi Greenwood
20. Chris Masten

Seriously? Bellchambers is worse than Stefan Martin? Martin's played one more match and he's got half as many hit outs and goals. Are you sure you know who Tom Bellchambers is? I won't even get started on Armfield, Palmer, Polkinghorne, Bradley, McGinnity, and Morton. I'd also say TBC's now better than Kreuzer and McEvoy but I guess they're up for debate. Stefan Martin is not up for debate.

A year on, you're so right.

I think its a pretty good draft year myself, i wish we didnt trade out our first rounder for Cam Wood, could have had Ward.

Look no further than the 2003 draft if you want to see the worst.

Bad draft year? U joking right? 2 future/current top 5 mids in league, best defender in the game in Harry, tex talked about like he is the next big elite forward (that's wot they say shrug). Rance currently one of the best big def on the game, hooker the best big def this year, ward another future elite mid, Mumford Hanley enbert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back