Redo the 2009 draft.

Spitta09

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That grand final absolutely affects my opinion now. He was utterly pathetic yesterday.
So it should 'very good players' don't melt like that. In a one on one contest the ball hit the ground and he was outrun by Mcevoy. That about says it all.
Anyway ive had enough digs at jetts carry on

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
So it should 'very good players' don't melt like that. In a one on one contest the ball hit the ground and he was outrun by Mcevoy. That about says it all.
A bit like Ballantyne in last years grand final?

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn't Mcevoy win the Grand Final sprint a few years back? If its the one I remember he streaked away from everyone including Stephen Hill (who streeted everyone over the first 40M)

Didn't Mcevoy win the Grand Final sprint a few years back? If its the one I remember he streaked away from everyone including Stephen Hill (who streeted everyone over the first 40M)
Rhys Stanley

1 Nathan Fyfe
2 Dustin Martin
3 Michael Barlow
4 Daniel Talia
5 Jake Carlisle
6 Ben Cunnington
7 Jack Gunston
8 Allen Christensen
9 Matthew Jaensch
10 Stewart Crameri
11 Mitch Duncan
12 Lewis Jetta
13 Sam Reid
14 James Podsiadly
15 Mark Hutchings
16 Aaron Black
17 Tom Scully
18 Jack Trengove
19 Alex Silvagni
20 Ben Stratton

I personally believe that after the completion of the 2014 Season this is how I would rate the top 20... Should injury not have taken its toll I believe that Morabito, Menzel & Vardy would be top 10... It kills me every time I see Fyfe tearing it up for Freo instead of West Coast, but well done to them this was definitely their draft.
Stratton should be top 10 easily. One of the most underrated players in the competition.

JohnnyDrama1

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
1. Nathan Fyfe
2. Dustin Martin
3. Daniel Talia
4. Michael Barlow
5. Jack Gunston
6. Ben Cunnington
7. Jake Carlisle
8. Stewart Crameri
9. Mitch Duncan
10. Allen Christiansen

chaelsonnen

All Australian
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1 Nathan Fyfe
2 Dustin Martin
3 Michael Barlow
4 Daniel Talia
5 Jake Carlisle
6 Ben Cunnington
7 Jack Gunston
8 Allen Christensen
9 Matthew Jaensch
10 Stewart Crameri
11 Mitch Duncan
12 Lewis Jetta
13 Sam Reid
14 James Podsiadly
15 Mark Hutchings
16 Aaron Black
17 Tom Scully
18 Jack Trengove
19 Alex Silvagni
20 Ben Stratton

I personally believe that after the completion of the 2014 Season this is how I would rate the top 20... Should injury not have taken its toll I believe that Morabito, Menzel & Vardy would be top 10... It kills me every time I see Fyfe tearing it up for Freo instead of West Coast, but well done to them this was definitely their draft.
To come to think of it, the 2009 class is actually a pretty poor draft so far...you being able to fit Stewart Crameri into the top 10 shows that.
A player like Crameri wouldn't even be in the 'top 20' of the 2008 draft.

The drop off after the top 6 or 7 guys ending at Gunston is huge.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
I'm impressed that after having bugger all picks, we've ended up with Gunston and Stratton out of this draft. Both will be 200 game players you'd think.

melonhead2011

Debutant
Feb 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
With 3 full seasons under their belts we can now start to see who made some big mistakes but more importantly who got the picks right and who got really lucky.

Here is how the top 20 from 2009 AFL Draft was played out.
1 Tom Scully
2 Jack Trengove
3 Dustin Martin
4 Anthony Morabito
5 Ben Cunnington
6 Gary Rohan
7 Brad Sheppard
8 John Butcher
9 Andrew Moore
10 Jake Meltsham
11 Jordan Gysberts
12 Kane Lucas
13 Daniel Talia
14 Lewis Jetta
15 Christian Howard
16 Jasper Pittard
17 Daniel Menzel
18 Luke Tapscott
19 Benjamin Griffiths
20 Nathan Fyfe

Here are a few that went after.

21 Ryan Bastinac
24 Jake Carlisle
26 Travis Colyer
27 Callum Bartlett
28 Mitch Duncan
38 Sam Reid
40 Allen Christensen
42 Nathan Vardy
45 Sam Shaw

And the Rookie Draft

2 Michael Coad
3 Sam Iles
8 Michael Barlow
9 Majak Daw
24 Alex Silvagni
40 Ashton Hams
43 Stewart Crameri
46 Matthew Jaensch
50 James Podsiadly
76 Claye Beams

A few major talking points I would like to here is, how do Dee's supporters rate Scully, would they have taken him at 1 now (not knowing he was leaving) and how your top 20 would be.

P.S. I hope this thread lasts a bit longer than the last one.

Melbourne certainly blew this draft, but as far as drafts go it really wasn't a great year to have 4 top 20 picks. Only two of the players taken that high in Martin and Fyfe have really gone on to become elite, and Martin has required a personal watcher for his entire career. Injuries have cruelled a few, Trengrove, Menzel, Morabito and Rohan but at the end of the day they haven't returned much so far in their careers.
Cunnington and Jetta have been solid. Scully hasn't done much at either Melbourne or GWS to warrant being number 1 pick, let alone the money he is now on.

A bit of value in who the cats and bombers took in the 20-40 picks, and in mature rookies of Pod & Barlow but really this wasn't a great draft class.

Hawthorn get Stratton, Duryea, Suckling & Burgoyne in the 2009 off season (with Gunston traded in at a later date)
Melbourne get Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Gawn

Goes to show the real value is in coaching and development, not early draft picks.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Strange that you say Lewis has no upside, considering his 2012 season was much better than what we've seen this year, yet Brad has an upside even though he has played at the same level since his first game. Clear cut you say, hmm...

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Strange that you say Lewis has no upside, considering his 2012 season was much better than what we've seen this year, yet Brad has an upside even though he has played at the same level since his first game. Clear cut you say, hmm...
Sheppard improved dramatically this year, still nowhere near pick 7 worthy and won't ever be but he is finally on the improve thus showing some upside. You clearly haven't tracked his career very much if you say he has played at the same level since his first game.

I also said that it is NOT clear cut in my mind. Read more carefully before you post.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sheppard improved dramatically this year, still nowhere near pick 7 worthy and won't ever be but he is finally on the improve thus showing some upside. You clearly haven't tracked his career very much if you say he has played at the same level since his first game.

I also said that it is NOT clear cut in my mind. Read more carefully before you post.

Whoops sorry I should have known better, clear cut in my mind = bias overrated misinformed judgment.

Unless your his mum or lover I think I watch him just as close as you do.

Back