Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith has better stats and go and watch his finals games this year. Smith has outplayed Johnson anyway you look at it.
Nice stats. As Johnson's a defender, I prefer to look at these ones:

2012 Season Brodie Smith: 22 Games, 47 1%ers, 12 frees against, 65 R50s, 1 contested mark
2012 Season Alex Johnson: 25 Games, 102 1%ers, 12 frees agains, 82 Rebound 50s, 18 contested marks

So yeah, you may prefer an extra 20 posessions a season, I'd rather the defender with stats that indicate he's doing the spoiling, marking, and countering of a defender.

Frankly I don't even think Heppell would get drafted after what I read on here. He must be terrible.

I would have taken him before Pederson in the rookie draft. I think your post is incorrect.

Do I need a :D so you know I am joking?

Nice stats. As Johnson's a defender, I prefer to look at these ones:

2012 Season Brodie Smith: 22 Games, 47 1%ers, 12 frees against, 65 R50s, 1 contested mark
2012 Season Alex Johnson: 25 Games, 102 1%ers, 12 frees agains, 82 Rebound 50s, 18 contested marks

So yeah, you may prefer an extra 20 posessions a season, I'd rather the defender with stats that indicate he's doing the spoiling, marking, and countering of a defender.

Odd he uses finals as an indicator that Smith is better, yet Johnson has played 5 finals now, been better in all those games than he usually is in the regular season, and if the Norm Smith was awarded at half time would have won it.

Staggers me to see people still not rating Tom Lynch, the Suns version. He seriously came on in the last 4-5 games of 2012. Was really starting to his his stride, collect plenty of possessions and kick goals as a CHF.
I rate him a lot. Has the ability to be the best KPF from the 2010 draft if everything clicks.

Staggers me to see people still not rating Tom Lynch, the Suns version. He seriously came on in the last 4-5 games of 2012. Was really starting to his his stride, collect plenty of possessions and kick goals as a CHF.

Did completely forget him - was looking at where Gorringe and Prestia would fit in so forgot the third from that little group. Also on reflection I left out Isaac Smith.

My draft redone (adding in Lynch/Smith) down to 30
14. Tom Lynch - Adelaide
15. Kieran Harper - Geelong
16. Jeremy Howe - Port
17. Josh Caddy - North
18. Dion Prestia - Carlton
19. Isaac Smith - Hawthorn
20. Alex Fasolo - Collingwood
21. Jake Bachelor - Sydney (no Alex Johnson to pick so next best)
22. Mitch Wallis - F/S - Western Bulldogs
23. Ben Jacobs - Geelong
24. Patrick Karnezis - St Kilda
25. Cam Guthrie - Brisbane
26. Jamie Cripps - West Coast
27. Josh Green - North
28. Daniel Gorringe - Brisbane
29. Billie Smedts - West Coast
30. Seb Tape - Richmond

Went further so I could add in the unlucky players, there isn't many more players worth rating thus far left over.

Overall, my list is a mixture of best available + a needs basis, some teams I drafted for needs, some teams I did best available depending on my rating of where each team is/was at.
My rating of players was done on actual output + potential shown in games (so Harper being a good example for potential, not the 15th best on output but he shows glimpses each game of how good he could be once he puts it all together - the 'potential' rating isn't from Bigfooty hype or draft camp times etc)

Good effort Liam. Would definitely swap McDonald with Johnson in the order though.

I don't really get why Smedts is rated so low. He missed all his first year with injury and came straight in to Geelong's side this year which shows how highly he's rated. After struggling in his first few games he was really impressive in the 2nd half of the year and had earned his spot before being injured again and missing finals. He's got all the attributed to become a quality player and given the chance to redo the draft Geelong would take him at 15 again every time. I'd be very surprised if in 5-7 years time he isn't looked on as a top 10 player from this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it people are just leaving out Wallis and Libba because of f/s? I'd have both top 10 otherwise.

Swallow, Bennel, Gaff, Darling stand outs for me.

Melbourne were tipped to take Darling at their pick.... Was very surprising at the time. Absolutely ridiculous now.

I take it people are just leaving out Wallis and Libba because of f/s? I'd have both top 10 otherwise.

Swallow, Bennel, Gaff, Darling stand outs for me.

No, they are outside the top 10 regardless. You've got your goggles on, it is a talented top 10.

No, they are outside the top 10 regardless. You've got your goggles on, it is a talented top 10.

How is Wallis not in the top 10? Please tell me. If we didn't get him pick 22 he would of gone top 8 draft day.

How is Wallis not in the top 10? Please tell me. If we didn't get him pick 22 he would of gone top 8 draft day.

Oh please.... Every supporter is calling for "their player" to be considered in the top 10. Wallis is behind several other mids.

1. Jack Darling
2. Harley Bennell
3. David Swallow
4. Dyson Heppell
5. Andrew Gaff
6. Tom Liberatore
7. Mitch Wallis
8. Tom Lynch
9. Luke Parker
10. Shaun Atley

Oh please.... Every supporter is calling for "their player" to be considered in the top 10. Wallis is behind several other mids.

Name me 10 better mids. I'll give you Swallow, Bennel and Gaff.

Name me 10 better mids. I'll give you Swallow, Bennel and Gaff.

I said there were several mids ahead of them. There are talls in the top 10 also.
The only people calling for those two in the top 10 are the nuffies who are dropping Sam Day and Lynch out. There isn't a club in the league that wouldn't jump at these blokes.

I said there were several mids ahead of them. There are talls in the top 10 also.
The only people calling for those two in the top 10 are the nuffies who are dropping Sam Day and Lynch out. There isn't a club in the league that wouldn't jump at these blokes.

Please name me 10 better players then. Struggling to name them are you?

I would suggest you're the 'nuffie' that doesn't consider a player who averaged 22 possessions and more than 4 tackles a game in only his second year not a top 10 player from his draft year.

Libba also averaged more than 20 touches a game. And just under 4 tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back