Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you like me to post the 2 u tube clips of him pulling out of contests? He chooses when he goes. Being brave sometime and cowardly the next puts a question mark on a players courage - I stand by my comment until he goes each time.
yes I would.

Bennell's good games are undoubtedly better than Heppell's - in fact his best games are as good as anyone in the league. However, Heppell is more consistent.

Bennell and Darling are no.1 and 2, with Gaff close behind. Heppell is clearly next in line, which if he stays there is a great result for a no.8 pick.

I'd say Gaff is the most consistent player from the draft. Don't see how anyone can deny Heppel being a gun.

Still very early to be deciding on retrospective orders - players will only be entering their third season in 2013

This thread looks to be very lacking in Arryn Siposs. If his career progresses as we're hoping it will, he is going to be looked on as one of the biggest draft "bargains" of recent years.

Could have played a heap more senior footy this year (in some teams he may well have played as much as every game, as he looked terrific in the NAB Cup, after showing some really good talent last year and most of us on the the St Kilda forums I was on were pretty shocked when he wasn't in our senior side from round one), but apparently our coaching staff wanted him to be able to play some different positions before they would give him a run of senior games, so he spent a fair bit of time in the VFL, learning different roles.

So he played in his customary position up forward in the VFL, as well as some games on the wing and then some games across HB and it was across HB where he played arguably his two best games for us in the seniors, in the last two rounds (his first games in that position in the senior side). It was like watching a young Brendon Goddard there all over again and he looked like he'd been playing there all his life.

He had 40 possies and 14 marks for the two games and just showed so much class, poise, ability to read the play and strong marking, not to mention his exceptional kicking out of there, which is generally every bit as good and long as BJ's. (Neither of those games were when he got his Rising Star nom, BTW, that was earlier in the year, for his game up forward against Essendon (which was followed up by an equally good game up forward the week after, when he played a key role in us overrunning Brisbane in the last quarter, at the Gabba. In those two games he had 34 possies, 14 marks and 4 goals 3. He also had a 20 possession, 9 mark, 1 goal 3 game against Gold Coast, in round 11).

Speaking of Goddard, Arryn probably has more class and natural talent than anyone we'd drafted to that point since BJ, so to have gotten him with a pick in the 70's was pretty remarkable. Having said that, I was reading an old article on him last night and apparently he got injured prior to the combine in 2010, so he didn't do any of the testing, which may have caused much of his slide down the order (as would his height- he measured 188cm at the time and was playing more like a "key forward", so clubs would have been wary of his ability to play different roles at AFL level, particularly as they weren't able to test his endurance levels at the combine- Many suspect he is closer to about 191cm now, BTW and his endurance looks to be fine).

He was also relatively late to get picked by Dandenong in the TAC Cup, despite kicking 99 goals for Beaconsfield in the U16's, perhaps because he was born very late in 1992 (making him one of the youngest of his draft), so that also meant there wasn't as much exposed form for the AFL clubs to go off as there was for others. According to this article, within 20 games he went from U16's at Beaconsfield to playing senior AFL footy: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-rise-to-surface/story-e6frf9jf-1226052136130

Regardless, if the draft was held today, I suspect that he'd be picked in the first 25 for sure and with good reason, as he just has so much class and natural ability and has now shown that he can play well in multiple positions on the ground, which is so valuable in modern footy. The fact he has a serious weapon of a right foot (and a very neat looking left as well) doesn't hurt, either.

As I said, he could easily have played much more senior footy this year, but if he is considered really ready from the start of next year, with another AFL preseason under his belt and gets a good run of games (especially if they are across HB, where he finished off this year so well), then he will be one to really look out for next year. How high his "ceiling" is, is anyone's guess.

1_15StEs12DT%20761.jpg

Libba's stats from todays game

28 disposals
15 kicks
13 handballs
5 marks
9 tackles

Surly he is a top 10 player from this draft.

If he keeps that s**t up he'll be no1, with the clearance stat added.
i want to berry my dink so far up libba's ass that whoever pulled it out will be crowned king arthur but Bennell is something else and clear no.1 at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atley bounced back from his EF and round 1 shockers with an okay game against Geelong.

Bit of a weird game though. Doesn't seem to be looking to take the game on as much as he did at times last year and one piece of play exemplified it perfectly. Wells handballs to Atley who has the midfield corridor to himself. Instead of bouncing to fifty and drilling the goal he weights the kick to Petrie (perfectly, mind you).

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-r...07&eventType=Goal&seek=1664&videoQuality=high

27mins.

McCartney has Libba playing some pretty awesome footy right now, he will only get better and become a real weapon for the Dogs.
Conca is looking much better in 2013, his game on the weekend was the best I have seen him play. now he need to repeat that performance.

Rhys Stanley is first in marks is he top ten from his draft? Maybe AA CHB.

Libba is also... ranked 9th in effective disposals, 12th in disposals per game, 6th in handballs this season so far. Out of the whole AFL not just the 2010 draft.

He's a top 10 player from the 2010 draft. The stats don't lie.

Stanley isn't that great lets be honest, the saints have the worst young kids in the league.

Not so sure 14 marks first up then 8 the following week at centre half back is a very impressive start. Now they have the best two up and coming rucks he can play CHB full time.

Not so sure 14 marks first up then 8 the following week at centre half back is a very impressive start. Now we have the best two up and coming rucks he can play CHB full time.

Many forwards will be licking their lips at that prospect :p

You seem to care about saint kilda an awful lot, why are you too embarrassed to admit you support them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back