Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Guthrie even being mentioned in this thread? There is no way he's getting anywhere near the top 15 best players from this draft.

The bias is strong with this one.

Guthrie is no where near as good as Darling. Good young player, but Darling is miles ahead.

Yeah i can't believe its seemingly a unanimous decision over there.
I wonder when we redo the 2013 draft how they will justify taking Darcy Lang in front of Luke Dunstan?

I wonder when we redo the 2013 draft how they will justify taking Darcy Lang in front of Luke Dunstan?
Carlton taking Cripps at 13 is worse. They wanted an AFL ready inside midfielder (which probably shouldn't have been their priority anyway) and didn't go with Dunstan. That said, you expect these types of blunders from Carlton and not so much from Geelong. Not that you can call Lang over Dunstan a blunder yet.

Why is Guthrie even being mentioned in this thread? There is no way he's getting anywhere near the top 15 best players from this draft.

The bias is strong with this one.

Sorry but that's just a terrible call.

He was Geelong's best player in finals last year and if you're basing it off 3 rounds you could make a solid argument for him being the AA tagger having blanketed Dangerfield and Pendlebury despite playing the position for the first time (of course it's only 3 rounds). Yet he's nowhere near the top 15? Crazy talk.

He was Geelong's best player in finals last year and if you're basing it off 3 rounds you could make a solid argument for him being the AA tagger having blanketed Dangerfield and Pendlebury despite playing the position for the first time (of course it's only 3 rounds). Yet he's nowhere near the top 15? Crazy talk.
You are crippled by bias.

I would take all of Darling, Liber, Prestia, Heppell, Bennell, Isaac and Brodie Smith, Swallow, Parker, Hibberd, Gaff, Dahlhaus, Mullett, Atley, Polec, Howe, Caddy, Conca and Wallis before Guthrie. Come to think of it he doesn't even make the top 20.

He was selected at pick #23 and that's basically where he sits now. There's nothing wrong with that either so I don't know why you're on the blob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if you're basing it off three years Darling is clearly the better player.

You are crippled by bias.

I would take all of Darling, Liber, Prestia, Heppell, Bennell, Isaac and Brodie Smith, Swallow, Parker, Hibberd, Gaff, Dahlhaus, Mullett, Atley, Polec, Howe, Caddy, Conca and Wallis before Guthrie. Come to think of it he doesn't even make the top 20.

He was selected at pick #23 and that's basically where he sits now. There's nothing wrong with that either so I don't know why you're on the blob.

That name says how poor your judgement is. I love Caddy and think he'll be a good player but almost every Geelong fan would say Guthrie is ahead of him now and is likely to be in the future.

Just look at some of those players.

Guthrie - After coming back from injury in round 5 last year he's been a permanent fixture in a top 4 team including being Geelong's best player in finals. Started this year on fire.
Caddy - Last year in and out of Geelong's team including being dropped for the Semi Final and only brought in as sub for the Prelim after injuries and suspensions.
Wallis - Dropped from a really poor Bulldogs team last year. Good player who had the luxury of getting games early on but certainly not performing to the same standard as Guthrie over the last year or so.
Mullett - Really? In and out of the team last year with some poor performances and only been solid this year.
Atley - Looked like a world beater at the start but apart from pace he has some clear flaws. Guthrie's miles better defensively, makes better decisions, is a better disposer and overall just a better player.
Howe - Apart from high marks when does he actually have big impacts on games? His best has been nowhere near Guthrie's best.
Polec - Seriously? He's started this year going great guns but so has Guthrie. Does the fact that at the start of this year Guthrie had come off a quality finals campaign while Polec couldn't make Brisbane's team count for nothing?

Come on a few of those are just ridiculous. I'm not saying Guthrie's the best player in the draft but he looks a genuine gun. His best performances have been more impressive than just about any other person in the draft because they were produced in the high-pressure environment of finals. He's clearly a quality player and currently well above a number of those you named.

Guthrie tagged Dangerfield to 23 disposals and 2 goals, and Pendlebury to 26 disposals. This is not exactly a tagging masterclass.

Not sure why but Dangerfield was on Selwood when he kicked his first goal from the boundary. Neither Dangerfield or Pendlebury were considered in the top 5 players on the ground by either coach in either match which is pretty good considering they're 2 of the top 6 or so midfielders in the comp. Guthrie was in the votes from the coaches' association for his job on Pendlebury. Against Adelaide Guthrie had 11 tackles and he had 18 touches and a goal going the other way against Collingwood.

That name says how poor your judgement is. I love Caddy and think he'll be a good player but almost every Geelong fan would say Guthrie is ahead of him now and is likely to be in the future.

Just look at some of those players.

Guthrie - After coming back from injury in round 5 last year he's been a permanent fixture in a top 4 team including being Geelong's best player in finals. Started this year on fire.
Caddy - Last year in and out of Geelong's team including being dropped for the Semi Final and only brought in as sub for the Prelim after injuries and suspensions.
Wallis - Dropped from a really poor Bulldogs team last year. Good player who had the luxury of getting games early on but certainly not performing to the same standard as Guthrie over the last year or so.
Mullett - Really? In and out of the team last year with some poor performances and only been solid this year.
Atley - Looked like a world beater at the start but apart from pace he has some clear flaws. Guthrie's miles better defensively, makes better decisions, is a better disposer and overall just a better player.
Howe - Apart from high marks when does he actually have big impacts on games? His best has been nowhere near Guthrie's best.
Polec - Seriously? He's started this year going great guns but so has Guthrie. Does the fact that at the start of this year Guthrie had come off a quality finals campaign while Polec couldn't make Brisbane's team count for nothing?

Come on a few of those are just ridiculous. I'm not saying Guthrie's the best player in the draft but he looks a genuine gun. His best performances have been more impressive than just about any other person in the draft because they were produced in the high-pressure environment of finals. He's clearly a quality player and currently well above a number of those you named.
All the players you have listed are in the bottom end of my top 20 - and you're trying to justify Guthrie's inclusion in the top 15 by comparing him to them? Jesus you are struggling big time.

Mullett had an excellent year last year and wasn't dropped at all so not sure where you get that from? Atley has his knockers and has had a poor first 3 games this year but he has genuine pace and line-breaking abilities - game changing qualities which will develop over time and which Guthrie does not possess. Howe is actually a good player and I think you'd agree that it's very difficult to 'have big impacts on games' when you're playing for the worst team in AFL history. Wallis is being tried in a new role this year but he had a fantastic 2012 for a second year player so he has shown that he can put it all together over a season. Polec moves well and has elite foot skills - again he has X-factor that Guthrie does not possess. Caddy will be a good player for you and he has shown way more to indicate he'll be a better player than Guthrie.

So no, you've attempted to convince me that Guthrie is better than the 15-20 range from that draft but have not succeeded.

Now that I've reviewed who was drafted in 2010, I've also come across Tom Lynch (GC) and Paul Puopolo so Guthrie is actually further down the list than I thought.

Caddy will be a good player for you and he has shown way more to indicate he'll be a better player than Guthrie.

Haha good one. So you think you know our list better than all our supporters and Chris Scott who can barely contain his excitement when asked about Guthrie? Caddy's produced about 40 minutes of high quality footy in the Prelim. Guthrie's produced about 10-15 games better than anything else Caddy's produced at AFL level.

Mullett - Really? In and out of the team last year with some poor performances and only been solid this year..

What?

He played 22 games last year and placed in the rising star.

Haha good one. So you think you know our list better than all our supporters and Chris Scott who can barely contain his excitement when asked about Guthrie? Caddy's produced about 40 minutes of high quality footy in the Prelim. Guthrie's produced about 10-15 games better than anything else Caddy's produced at AFL level.
Even if you think Guthrie is better than caddy, that puts Guthrie at about #21 in this draft. For all your arguments you haven't made any ground.

Have a cranberry juice and a lie down, please, for everyone's sake.

What?

He played 22 games last year and placed in the rising star.

Apologies I went to footywire and must've clicked on 2012 rather than 2013. Forget what I wrote about him. I thought that sounded wrong but I was just quickly going through players and didn't check it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back