Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to seeing if Jimmy Webster rises up the ratings here by the end of next season. Aside from the fact that he's pretty skinny (albeit tough and very brave), he has an awful lot of very attractive attributes. Has a higher ceiling than Newnes, for instance, IMO.
I reckon he'll become a solid HBF.

I reckon he'll become a solid HBF.
I don't see any reason at all why he couldn't play wing to a high level, given his attributes- good height, big tank, terrific speed, exceptional agility, outstanding left foot, seriously good handball (one of the best I've ever seen from a penetration/speed POV- they are bloody bullets) and he has no trouble at all winning his own ball when necessary, is also good overhead, and is, as I said, tough and brave as well, belying his frame.

Played wing and HBF prior to being drafted and was good/talented enough in the juniors to have been in the AIS squad, but just missed a s**t-ton of footy due to injury in the final 2-3 years prior to his draft. He's been mostly injury free for the past couple of years now though, so that's why I'm really looking forward to seeing how far he progresses if he gets another preseason under his belt, now that he is in his 4th year at the club and has 20 games under his belt.

If this draft was done again, Wingard, Cameron and Treloar would be the top three players in the 2011 draft.
You're not allowed to say that because Demonheart will get their nickers in a twist over (Cameron and Treloar) not technically being in the Draft.

Funny thing is, who cares how the Draft would go again. The more accurate rankings, are the players that were taken this year (Draft and pre-picked players). So players like Cameron and Treloar should be added just to rank the players from that year.

Clear top 3 as you said.

You're not allowed to say that because Demonheart will get their nickers in a twist over (Cameron and Treloar) not technically being in the Draft.

Funny thing is, who cares how the Draft would go again. The more accurate rankings, are the players that were taken this year (Draft and pre-picked players). So players like Cameron and Treloar should be added just to rank the players from that year.

Clear top 3 as you said.

Wingard is the most talented player in that draft, Cameron is the best key position player and Treloar is the best inside midfielder. There's still plenty of good players in that 2011 draft who will still come good in the next few years. I reckon Devon Smith will be a top player as well. I remember that game against GWS last year at the MCG and we was close to BOG.

Wingard is the most talented player in that draft, Cameron is the best key position player and Treloar is the best inside midfielder. There's still plenty of good players in that 2011 draft who will still come good in the next few years. I reckon Devon Smith will be a top player as well. I remember that game against GWS last year at the MCG and we was close to BOG.
What I like about Devon Smith is, he has real confidence in his own ability and likes to take it upon himself. A really underrated attribute amongst players is their self belief, especially in younger players.

It's a bit like Brent Harvey, how he sometimes gets criticized for being selfish in the way that he plays, he just has really high belief in his own abilities and believes he can finish it off or take it upon himself to do it. It's what makes him such a great player, even though at times he probably could take another option. No North Melbourne supporter would change that about him and you'd be silly to do so.

Anyway I see a bit of that in Smith and he just seems to be a very smart footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Chad Wingard
  2. Jeremy Cameron
  3. Adam Treloar
  4. Brandon Ellis
  5. Bradley Hill
  6. Dylan Sheil
  7. Dom Tyson
  8. Stephen Coniglio
  9. Devon Smith
  10. Lachie Neale
  11. Jonathan Patton
  12. Toby Greene
  13. Cameron Sutcliffe
  14. Curtly Hamptom
  15. Taylor Adams
  16. Tom Mitchell
  17. Nick Haynes
  18. Adam Tomlinson
  19. Jack Newnes
  20. Will Hoskin-Elliott

Last edited:
  1. Chad Wingard
  2. Jeremy Cameron
  3. Adam Treloar
  4. Brandon Ellis
  5. Bradley Hill
  6. Dylan Sheil
  7. Luke Bruest
  8. Dom Tyson
  9. Stephen Coniglio
  10. Devon Smith
  11. Lachie Neale
  12. Jonathan Patton
  13. Toby Greene
  14. Cameron Sutcliffe
  15. Curtly Hamptom
  16. Taylor Adams
  17. Tom Mitchell
  18. Nick Haynes
  19. Adam Tomlinson
  20. Jack Newnes
Breust wasn't in this draft, unless were counting rookie elevations.

1. Chad Wingard
  2. Jeremy Cameron
  3. Adam Treloar
  4. Brandon Ellis
  5. Bradley Hill
  6. Dylan Sheil
  7. Dom Tyson
  8. Stephen Coniglio
  9. Devon Smith
  10. Lachie Neale
  11. Jonathan Patton
  12. Toby Greene
  13. Cameron Sutcliffe
  14. Curtly Hamptom
  15. Taylor Adams
  16. Tom Mitchell
  17. Nick Haynes
  18. Adam Tomlinson
  19. Jack Newnes
  20. Will Hoskin-Elliott
Brad Hill is just far too high. Good young player who goes about it well and gets results, but he's just not as good or prolific as most players on that list.

Brad Hill is just far too high. Good young player who goes about it well and gets results, but he's just not as good or prolific as most players on that list.
How can you say hill is far too high? He has won 2 flags as a starting 22 player in an extremely strong team! Not only is he a starting 22 but a game breaker/changer with his speed, endurance and disposal. Easily in the top 5 of this draft....

How can you say hill is far too high? He has won 2 flags as a starting 22 player in an extremely strong team! Not only is he a starting 22 but a game breaker/changer with his speed, endurance and disposal. Easily in the top 5 of this draft....

If Shiel/Tyson/Coniglio/Smith had been drafted to Hawthorn they'd be 2 time premiership players as well.

If Shiel/Tyson/Coniglio/Smith had been drafted to Hawthorn they'd be 2 time premiership players as well.
Maybe, but they weren't available at 33.
So going on fiction and not what ifs, he has achieved much more than any of those players.
Being good value at 33 doesn't make him a better player.
correct, but I was saying none of those players were available at 33, hence we chose hill. It doesn't make him a better player, but he has still achieved far more than any other players you've mentioned.

correct, but I was saying none of those players were available at 33, hence we chose hill. It doesn't make him a better player, but he has still achieved far more than any other players you've mentioned.

If we were ranking teams Hawthorn would be up the top but we're ranking 2011 draftees and Tyson, Shiel, Coniglio and Smith are much better players than Hill.

Would you have Taylor Duryea at the top end of the 2009 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back