Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Using a combo of upside and proven performances:

(Cameron) - pretty obvious choice. Probably the best KPF at his age in my lifetime, and he could well be the difference between GWS being good and great.
1. Wingard - only AA out of the actual draft. Despite a down year last year still managed to kick 43 goals and just utterly reeks of class.
(Treloar) - best of the GWS mids IMO. Very good statisically and can't be too far away from being the considered one of the league's best players.
2. Tyson - utter stud. Looks set to overtake Jones as the lynchpin of the Melbourne midfield.
(Shiel) - has kinda underachieved so far in this career but you can see why he's so highly rated. Should explode soon.
3. Mitchell - possibly biased but when he got a fair go he was very good. Ideal skill set for a high-class midfielder, only question is how many games can he get at Sydney? Reckon if he defects he'll be proven as a star.
4. Neale - huge steal for #58. Showed last year how good he could be, and with more minutes in their midfield will prove to be one of the better players in the league.
5. Ellis - ball-winning machine, but he's somewhat outside and probably doesn't impact the game the way he could.
6. Patton - if he could get over his knee problems, he could be the perfect partner for Cameron. Showed quite a bit of potential last season that befitted his #1 selection before doing his knee again.
7. Smith - small but good. Dynamic and should be an ideal example of midfielders/forwards for years to come.
8. Conigilo - highly skilled, has an ideal balance to make it as a top-class mid. Injuries could be a concern though....
9. Hoskin-Elliott - loads of talent. Hasn't quite put it together yet, but will be a gun on his day.
10. Hill - a tad over-rated. Great start to his career so far but still rather outside and I'll be interested to see how he goes once the A-graders from Hawthorn move on and he starts getting hard tags.
11. Tomlinson - lots of X-factor. Not 100% sure his future lies as a genuine spearhead key forward but will be a class act.
12. Haynes - a bit of a tweener height but is very very good. Injuries have held him back but was looking like he was gonna break out big time last season.
13. Docherty - very handy player wherever he plays. Clean skills, plays taller than he is and capable of taking big marks.
14. Witts - the big guys take time to develop, and he should be a gun ruckmen in the future. Only problem is whether he can rest up forward well given Collingwood also have Grundy.
15. Clarke - showed some very good signs as a KPD, and should continue to improve. Will probably be somewhat under-rated in the footballing community due to the club he plays for.
16. Newnes - classy HBF/midfielder who should be a valuable outside player for years to come.
17. Greene - knows how to accumulate, but his disposal is suspect and right now is just a little too outside to get away with it.
18. Yeo - good size for a modern day midfielder, but needs to produce more.
(Hombsch) - maybe not the sort of player you'd bid high for but offers a lot in his role.
19. Adams - like Greene, seems a tad limited. Will be a good player but other players have more upside.
20. Kersten - not done a lot so far in his career, but knows how to kick goals at the lower level and could be a very good #2/3 tall.
21. Ellis-Yolmen - could be a very exciting player for Adelaide if his NAB Challenge form can be converted to proper AFL footy. Right sort of body to be the prototype of a modern inside mid.
22. Sutcliffe - another strong pick-up by the Dockers, in their best 22 and is developing nicely.
23. Jong - exciting athleticism, and his football IQ seems to be developing nicely. Should be a handy player.
24. Crozier - looks a potentially attractive player. Still very young and has a fair bit of X-factor about him.
25. Crisp - risky but looked a really valuable player at the end of 2014. Good size and offers a lot of versatility.
26. Williams - won't play a very fashionable role, but has done a good job and could develop further with time.

Hard draft to sort. Plenty of quality - there's quite a few decent players that missed out here - but perhaps lacking many truly elite talents.

A few big calls, but they have promise IMO.

Mitchell at 3 and Hill at 10 thats almost as much as a laugh as last years GF

Mitchell at 3 and Hill at 10 thats almost as much as a laugh as last years GF

Two things:

1. I'm judging them based on how good I think they will become, not how good they are now. Obviously Hill has had the better career than Mitchell so far, but I'm not certain that will stay the same in the future. Similarly on a here and now thing Hoskin-Elliott and Patton would be a lot lower, but they get boosts due to upside.
2. The gap betwen Mitchell and Hill is closer than what it appears. That order is pretty fluid, on another day it could look completely different lol. Reviewing it I think there was a fair bit of bias, realistically speaking in my Mitchell rating.

Every comment is positive except Hills!

Hahaha try to show a lil more bias next time Chaisa.

Not quite - I was also slightly negative towards Adams and Greene.

Don't get me wrong - I think Hill is a very very fine player. But I'm not convinced on his upside in comparision to others on the list, either.

Two things:

1. I'm judging them based on how good I think they will become, not how good they are now. Obviously Hill has had the better career than Mitchell so far, but I'm not certain that will stay the same in the future. Similarly on a here and now thing Hoskin-Elliott and Patton would be a lot lower, but they get boosts due to upside.
2. The gap betwen Mitchell and Hill is closer than what it appears. That order is pretty fluid, on another day it could look completely different lol. Reviewing it I think there was a fair bit of bias, realistically speaking in my Mitchell rating.

Not quite - I was also slightly negative towards Adams and Greene.

Don't get me wrong - I think Hill is a very very fine player. But I'm not convinced on his upside in comparision to others on the list, either.
Even so the post reaks of bias. You have put hill as low as you possibly could with the knowledge we know. Not saying your wrong.

And Mitchell as high as you could et al.

Anyway your as vaild to an opinion as anyone even a bias one.

Way too early to have any good idea of how this list will ultimately look in 12 years time once everything is said and done, but if the draft was re-done tomorrow I would rank as follows:

1. Wingard - Best performed; great athlete. People forget that he played his junior football through the midfield and sooner or later he will take his mercurial talents there. Remains to be seen what he can produce but worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and they plonk him back in the forward line and he kicks 50 goals a year.
2. Tomlinson - No doubt that this guy will be a high quality A-grade key position player in the years to come. High quality key-forwards hold a much higher worth due to their scarcity.
3. Patton - Still worth the risk even though he has done his knee twice and the odds are well and truly stacked against him of ever reaching anywhere near his ceiling. Had the potential to be an absolute powerhouse of the competition.
4. Devon Smith - Dynamic midfielder/ forward who is capable of kicking 40 goals a year and averaging over 20 touches a game.
5. Tyson - A reliable midfielder who will be the cornerstone of Melbourne's midfield for the next ten years.
6. Hill - Provides good run and carry and good ball use but is going to face a massive fork in the road once opposition clubs start to heavily tag him. Will he rise above it or will he go into his shell like his brother Stephen and take 3 years to learn to cope with it effectively?
7. Coniglio - Dynamic midfielder who is yet to properly establish himself but has a big toolbox.
8. Hoskin-Elliot - Massive ceiling but someone who I feel is going to be dogged by inconsistency. Will be quite hot and cold but is going to absolutely dine out on the days when he's really on.
9. Yeo - Can play all over the ground at 190cm and is an incredible athlete for his size.
10. Ellis - Stat whore that racks up uncontested possies.

Honourable mentions to Nick Haynes, Crozier, Neale, Greene, Tom Mitchell, Justin Clarke & Jack Crisp.
Patton? Your off your head!! He's done jack s...

Would easily get a Game for Melbourne and Be 1 of your Best Players
No he wouldn't. He'd be behind Jones, Tyson, Vince, Viney, Salem and Cross in the midfield, not to mention McDonald, Watts, Howe, Dunn, Jetta, Lumumba, Dawes, Hogan, and Garlett around the ground. Would prefer Brayshaw, Kennedy-Harris, Kent, Vandenberg, and Newton to Adams as well.

No he wouldn't. He'd be behind Jones, Tyson, Vince, Viney, Salem and Cross in the midfield, not to mention McDonald, Watts, Howe, Dunn, Jetta, Lumumba, Dawes, Hogan, and Garlett around the ground. Would prefer Brayshaw, Kennedy-Harris, Kent, Vandenberg, and Newton to Adams as well.
Think Adams is a butcher, but we'd all be pretty pleased with the game he played on Saturday (31 touches). Wouldn't be a critical player on anybody's list right now, but give him a chance.

Think Adams is a butcher, but we'd all be pretty pleased with the game he played on Saturday (31 touches). Wouldn't be a critical player on anybody's list right now, but give him a chance.

His Ball Use is not the Strongest Point of his game but it been Improving. Player within himself and he is a Very Good Player.

He does not Butcher his Kicks. He tries to do to much at times when Kicking.

Very Similar to Luke Ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viney, Salem, Cross, yeah man :)

If you'd rather have Watts than Taylor Adams, you're probably a Melbourne recruiter

So are we still over rating Hill??

What rubbish. Seen games where he's blown up two Taggers only to have the first return to him in the last quarter.

Is an absolute running machine!! And Billy is better in that respect.

Hill's disposal is bordering on elite and has very good decision making skills.

heres mine taking into account pre-selections:
My top 30, off the top of my head

1) Chad Wingard
2) Jaeger Omeara
3) Will Hoskin-Elliott
4) Lachie Neale
5) Dom Tyson
6) Jordan Murdoch
7) Michael Talia
8) Jimmy Webster
9) Tom Mitchell
10) Jack Newnes
11) Elliot Yeo
12) Brandon Ellis
13) Brad Hill
14) Dylan Buckley
15) Lin Jong
16) Toby Greene
17) Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
18) Sam Rowe
19) Sam Frost
20) Seb Ross
21) Sam Gibson
22) Billy Longer
23) Marley Williams
24) Mark Blicavs
25) Murray Newman
26) Shane Kersten
27) Rory Laird
28) Simon Tunbridge
29) Cam Sutcliffe
30) Lee Spurr

Interesting list Defacto. Curious that you still have Newman in there where he's yet to really fire a shot and hasn't exactly been a model citizen or trainer. I've seen him play in the WAFL and he has real talent. Plenty of time I suppose but I would have thought Sutcliffe for one has a few more runs on the board. You must think he has a high ceiling.

Not counting O'meara

Wingard, Yeo, Neale, Hoskins Elliott and Devon Smith pretty clear top 5. Any order really.

If we lost Yeo for any of those other 4 I'd be OK with it. Would be unhappy with trading him for anyone else in the draft.

Another lazy 34 touches and 2 goals for Neale tonight. I don't really care where people think he *might* have gone in a revised draft, all I know is that he was an absolute steal at 58.

South Aussies always are steals. Recruiters put far too much stock in TAC cup in comparison to SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back