Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
I have seen enough from him to know that he will be a powerhouse once he builds his strength and his fitness base. Attacks the ball hard which a lot of young blokes don't do.
See I think therein lies the problem. Boyd doesn't attack the contest as hard as he could. He certainly doesn't attack it like Hogan or Cameron do

Took me like 60 seconds to do. Chill.

Okay srs:

1. Billings
2. Bont
3. McCarthy
4. Boyd
5. Kelly
6. Cripps
7. McDonald
8. Merrett
9. Taylor
10. Aish
Anyone not starting their re-do with bonti at 1 is either taking the pizzle, or hasn't watched the kid play.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. Boyd
4. Billings
5. McCarthy
6. McDonald
7. Kelly
8. Merrett
9. Taylor
10. Dunstan
Anyone not starting their re-do with bonti at 1 is either taking the pizzle, or hasn't watched the kid play.
But Billings had a better game in Round 6, so he must be better, ya feel?

Its times like these when I wonder why I am even on Big Footy. Just because someone has a computer and an account doesnt mean their opinions are worth reading.

Just like the talk-back caller who complains about their team "kicking backwards too much" on a sunday morning - placing Merret in the top 5 is of equally laughable moments.

Ha, that's funny. Someone obviously hasn't seen Merrett play.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
HA! I'd love to hear your justification for this...
Ive seen plenty of Zach Merret, I constantly saw him outscore his brother last year in dream team when I had Jackson.

Merret is a good player. And he played well yesterday so I'm sure you're currently wet thighed with joy over the thought of him - but he's not better than Billings and to a lesser extent Dunstan. And he 100% is not better than Patrick Cripps. The fact that Cripps is a better player in every aspect of the game of AFL (bar outside run) Cripps is superior in;
Size, marking, tackling, clearances, 1%'s, handpass, vision, footy smarts.
Merret might have the better field kick slightly, and might kick more goals as he plays as a half forward but Cripps is the better footballer without question.

Merret is good though, I rate him.
1. Bont, 2. Cripps, 3. McCarthy, 4. Boyd, 5. Kelly, 6. Billings,

Dunstan probably just pips them, but its still early days in their careers - Merret or Kolo is definitely next cab off the rank after that. Quality top 10 player

WARNING: Given it's only been about a season and a half since the draft, am trying to take upside into account.

1. Bontempelli
2. McCarthy
3. Boyd
4. Cripps
5. Billings
6. Kelly
7. Kolojashnij
8. Taylor
9. Dunstan
10. McDonald
11. Merrett
12. Scharenberg
13. Aish
14. Sheed
15. Brown
16. Langdon
17. Acres
18. McStay
19. Crouch
20. Salem

List was kinda ad hoc, on another day it could be quite different.

All in all, I'll wait another year to assess the draft....but right now it looks potentially very, very strong. Don't think it'll get to 2001 levels in terms of quality but I reckon it can be as good as 2006, which was a very strong draft. There's also a few players who haven't played AFL yet or were high draft picks that I can see being quite good as well.

(on another note, I'm really liking the 2014 draft class...but it's very early days so there could be a number of busts that have yet to be detected)

Ive seen plenty of Zach Merret, I constantly saw him outscore his brother last year in dream team when I had Jackson.

Merret is a good player. And he played well yesterday so I'm sure you're currently wet thighed with joy over the thought of him - but he's not better than Billings and to a lesser extent Dunstan. And he 100% is not better than Patrick Cripps. The fact that Cripps is a better player in every aspect of the game of AFL (bar outside run) Cripps is superior in;
Size, marking, tackling, clearances, 1%'s, handpass, vision, footy smarts.
Merret might have the better field kick slightly, and might kick more goals as he plays as a half forward but Cripps is the better footballer without question.

Merret is good though, I rate him.
1. Bont, 2. Cripps, 3. McCarthy, 4. Boyd, 5. Kelly, 6. Billings,

Dunstan probably just pips them, but its still early days in their careers - Merret or Kolo is definitely next cab off the rank after that. Quality top 10 player

Well now you're just blatantly showing the world just how biased you are.

I mean, is Cripps the best footballer who has ever walked this planet? He'd have to be based on your evaluation.

So, let's go through your list on how Cripps apparently shits all over Merrett in every facet bar kicking...

Size: Cripps is 10cm taller, now tell me how that has made him a better player than Merrett? How has it impacted anything? Does that make David Myers a better midfielder than Sam Mitchell?

Marking: Merrett averages 4.2 marks a game compared to Cripps' 2.7, wow, how much better is Cripps!

Tackling: Of all of your assertions, this is by far the most ludicrous. Merrett would damn well be the best tackler for his age and size I've ever seen. Easily the best tackler and chaser on Essendon's list and he's only in his second year. I could compile a video package of his tackling and it would make a fantastic montage for when he retires in 10 years, let alone midway through his second season. Even without that, Merrett averages 5.8 tackles per game compared to Cripps' 4.7. Absolutely laughable you would try and claim this.

Clearances: Cripps has shown more in the clearances so far, though as you say, Merrett has apparently spent more time up forward and has Watson, Heppell, Goddard etc taking up stoppages ahead of him.

1 per centers: Merrett averages 1.0 a game compared to Cripps' 0.9. Again, Cripps again so clearly better.

Handpassing: LOL, okay. Claim that if you want, I disagree but whatever.

Vision: Again, LOL. What a wank. What do you base that on? Again, I disagree but if you're going to pull s**t out of your arse, then how do I possibly argue with that?

Footy smarts: A very close second for most laughable behind your tackling assertion. Just, LOL.

******* hell, I knew you were a terrible, self-righteous poster already but claims about Cripps are borderline delusional.

I'd actually agree with you talent-wise about Billings being a slightly better prospect, but apparently even he's not even in the same stratosphere as your lovechild Cripps.

Back