Reece Conca: My word that was bad...

Remove this Banner Ad

I dare say there be ton of players back in the Day that could of been Charged

Correct and that's my point. I thought the Leigh Matthews/Neville bruns incident definitely warranted police intervention and it ended up in the county court. It was far too serious and incident and caused severe trauma to the victim and his family. Im not defending conca by any stretch and he was probably aiming for the upper shoulder as retaliation and ended up on the base of the head. If he had've struck him in the back it would not have been as bad but hitting a bloke from behind is not a good thing at all. It does not warrant police intervention in my book. People are getting a little over excited.

Correct and that's my point. I thought the Leigh Matthews/Neville bruns incident definitely warranted police intervention and it ended up in the county court. It was far too serious and incident and caused severe trauma to the victim and his family. Im not defending conca by any stretch and he was probably aiming for the upper shoulder as retaliation and ended up on the base of the head. If he had've struck him in the back it would not have been as bad but hitting a bloke from behind is not a good thing at all. It does not warrant police intervention in my book. People are getting a little over excited.
If you were hit from behind in public and the police witnessed it, what do you expect the outcome would be?

And in the context of today's higher scrutiny and societies higher expectation on the need for less violence......., what do you say?

I say an incident like conca's is not police worthy. No physical harm done in the end. That's a fact. Footballers hand out cheap shots all the time. Why pick on this one only?

I'm saying he hit him with a 90 degree elbow bend, which is a swinging elbow.

Are you saying swinging your elbow like that is an exact movement and there is no potential for real damage?
Swinging the elbow refers to throwing your elbow backwards/Sideways where its full force can be of a dangerous effect.What conca did was foward of his body which is classed as a push hence why it was more his forearm than his Point of the elbow which made contact.Smith was lucky in that aspect.

If you were hit from behind in public and the police witnessed it, what do you expect the outcome would be?

If it was like concas I would probably asked if I wanted to press charges if I was the victim. Bottom line is, it didn't happen on the street and players are governed by the rules of the AFL. If Smith chose to press charges outside those rules that would be fine too and he's legally entitled to do so. I think you'll find that won't happen.

Swinging the elbow refers to throwing your elbow backwards/Sideways where its full force can be of a dangerous effect.What conca did was foward of his body which is classed as a push

These appear to be completely arbitrary classifications created simply to try and downplay this incident. Do you actually have a reference for any of that?

No it didn't. His mummy kissed him better. He's ok now.

Well IF he hit him harder it easily could.

No Different then what you see on the news nearly every weekend with some Dead or Badly Injured from a Coward Punch like Conca Did. Yes it be harder but still does not make it any better

If it was like concas I would probably asked if I wanted to press charges if I was the victim. Bottom line is, it didn't happen on the street and players are governed by the rules of the AFL. If Smith chose to press charges outside those rules that would be fine too and he's legally entitled to do so. I think you'll find that won't happen.
It doesn't work that way. When an assault occurs, the victim doesn't get asked to press charges. Its a criminal act and the police are duty bound to apply the law. Otherwise, what's to stop people dropping charges allowing criminals to go about further offending?

The field of play by law doesn't have any difference than to standing in a street if the police can establish intent and the act. The field of play is also a lose definition, because in the act of playing for the ball, there is a certain amount of latitude given. but in this instance, there was no play for the ball. And a man was hit intentionally from behind, unable to defend himself. I bet the police have looked at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could say O’Dea was lucky not to be Charged with Putting John Grenning into a Coma

It doesn't work that way. The field of play by law doesn't have any difference than to standing in a street if the police can establish intent and the act. The field of play is also a lose definition, because in the act of playing for the ball, there is a certain amount of latitude given. but in this instance, there was no play for the ball. And a man was hit intentionally from behind, unable to defend himself. I bet the police have looked at it.

Perhaps they have. They can't do a thing if the victim doesn't want to press charges. Come on mate. You know how things work on a football field. The AFL has a disciplinary process to deal with striking. It plays a major role in a courtroom. If they didn't then they would be liable also. It's all covered off.

Perhaps they have. They can't do a thing if the victim doesn't want to press charges. Come on mate. You know how things work on a football field. The AFL has a disciplinary process to deal with striking. It plays a major role in a courtroom. If they didn't then they would be liable also. It's all covered off.

So players can do anything to another player and they are Above the Law?

You could say O’Dea was lucky not to be Charged with Putting John Grenning into a Coma

Just a little. Pull up the Leigh Matthews highlights reel and write them all down. Tony lockett and Barry hall too. I'm sure Peter Caven and Brent Staker would have a say. Both of these guys were smashed into next week by much worse acts than concas.

Swinging the elbow refers to throwing your elbow backwards/Sideways where its full force can be of a dangerous effect.What conca did was foward of his body which is classed as a push hence why it was more his forearm than his Point of the elbow which made contact.Smith was lucky in that aspect.
You can swing your elbow back and funnily enough, you can swing it forward. Study physics and ask a bio mechanic, I'm sure they will be able to explain the ability of the shoulder to accomodate both movements.

Just a little. Pull up the Leigh Matthews highlights reel and write them all down. Tony lockett and Barry hall too. I'm sure Brent Staker would have a say.
Undoubtably. But the focus now these days is on hitting people who cant defend themselves and this is a prime example. This is not the 1980's, the 1990's, or not even 2008. Society has changed and so too have expectations and standards of behaviour.

Undoubtably. But the focus now these days is on hitting people who cant defend themselves and this is a prime example. This is not the 1980's, the 1990's, or not even 2008. Society has changed and so too have expectations and standards of behaviour.

I don't disagree. But we can't just say "let's charge conca becuase society demands it and we need to stamp out king hits" when the victim suffered no injury or long term damage. Yes it was stupid and yes it was a low act. But in terms of damage caused it was zero out of ten. You need to believe that plays a pretty important role in this particular situation.

You can swing your elbow back and funnily enough, you can swing it forward. Study physics and ask a bio mechanic, I'm sure they will be able to explain the ability of the shoulder to accomodate both movements.
With the same impact?

Players need to realise the AFL doesn't have their interests above the interests of the AFL.
The AFL won't encourage a player to lay charges because that would damage the AFL brand.
Players need to open their eyes and realise this, not only in this instance - but in other areas of the game.
We'll see Lawyers trying to get more involved in the game in the future - because they have to.
The AFL aren't going to protect the players, so the lawyers will seek these players out and uphold the law.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back