Regrettable Things You've Said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Law 101 - ignorance of the law is no defence.

Saying "we're playing the Pakis" when referring to an upcoming Australia v Pakistan cricket game is surely not breaking the law though.

That's your interpretation. As has been mentioned, good luck saying it in the UK – I sure as hell wouldn't – because it's disrespectful (and I respect that). One way of means is not applicable around the world however

Did you type that with one leg bucked outward and your hand on your hip So much sass sister girl
So you're just gonna continue being a dick rather than explaining where you were going with the previous comment?

I don't have too many regrets but of late have definitely been caught out bagging the s**t out of crossfit around random crossfit flogs

I've done this. Usually along the lines of "So someone just does a boxing circuit and markets it as something else and a bunch of people spend a fortune on it when they could have just gone boxing for $5?"

Context is the key word. I've never heard an Australian use the term "Paki" in an insulting fashion. Only to refer to their cricket team.

yeah but losers who don't watch sport and just bitch about this countries politics wouldn't know that ;)

Saying "we're playing the Pakis" when referring to an upcoming Australia v Pakistan cricket game is surely not breaking the law though.

That's your interpretation. As has been mentioned, good luck saying it in the UK – I sure as hell wouldn't – because it's disrespectful (and I respect that). One way of means is not applicable around the world however

Very well put. I don't call them 'Paki conts' or anything negative, they are simply 'Pakis', shortened down from Pakistanis, which is the way we simplify things. Putting even more spin on it, and/or saying 'you'd be drawn and quartered in London' doesn't wash with me, I don't live in London.

Silent Alarm would you be offended if some Brit called you a convict?
To a certain extent, I mean it'd make me uncomfortable, and sometimes there'd be malice in it I'm sure. A lot of the time it'd be no different to the #bantz of poms never washing and having s**t teeth. I think, though, if being called out on being convicts is the worst we can be made to feel, then white Australians are in a pretty awesome position of privilege. Which we are. What's someone going to say to us? A few wrong cliches?

Besides, our convict past is something we should be proud of. Better than the imperialist English way of pillaging

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know it isn't offensive here? The migration patterns of the UK are entirely different to Australians. When we got the Baltics and southern-eastern Europeans, they were getting those from the sub continent and west Asia. There's a few Indians around, especially in Melbourne, these days but it's still nowhere near as big of a minority group as it is in the UK. As a result, you probably know less Pakistanis or Indians and you probably haven't had to deal with the consequences of those words. How many Pakis do you know?

I grew up using the word abo at home and to my mates and having a general dislike for Aboriginals because I fell into thinking they were the only ones committing crimes. And I'm really ashamed and embarrassed by it.

Then I had an epiphany and my dad, a product of the 70s, had the same. It's not very hard to unfurl why your prejudices exist and what purpose they serve (there is one). It's basically extremely ******* nasty and serves no actual purpose at all. The Aboriginal culture is profoundly unique and interesting and the fact it still lingers on, despite its perils and adversity, is something that should be celebrated; not fetishised or crammed into "hey, they're just like us!" immaturity.

When it comes down to it, using offensive words serves exactly zero purpose. It's not even funny. It's just offensive. Just because you were conditioned to hate or use hateful words, and a vast majority of us in the White West are and were, that doesn't colour it okay. You know, we used to not let the Indigenous vote and we used to massacre entire communities of them for a purported greater good. Things change and that's really cool!!!!!!

I'm by no means a tree hugger either. I don't like Adam Bandt and don't like plenty of things proposed by bleeding hearts. But why is tree hugging a dirty phrase? Especially when the world is basically beyond repair in the environmental stakes. Not that anyone cares.

The reason Paki is racist in the UK is because it was used a slur historically and today. There is a significant Pakistani population in the UK.

Over here that never happened. What Pakistani immigrants we do get get lumped in a group with Indians or Muslims. Just as East Asians get lumped into a generic 'Chinese' or 'Asian' groups.

So there is no slur towards Pakistani immigrants because nobody cares or notices enough to every create one.

Hang on its been established already in earlier posts that the term is derogatory and yet you continue using it.:rolleyes:

Not sure if serious?:confused:

Furthermore the ignorance as a defence is especially moot given its been well established the connotations that word has.

Someone may need a cultural awareness training.:rolleyes:

I thought I heard and read everything that could happen with Beams, the Lions and the Pies.

One poster, an Essendon one for the record said something that I am not sure I can even comprehend or process. I am without speech tonight it is the worst post I have ever read online in this BF community.

To quote "If his dad dies this year then he will probably stay at Collingwood after next year. It's worth a gamble for the pies."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dayne-beams.1071480/page-207#post-35640644

I lost a bit of faith tonight in the BigFooty community.:(

That is heinous. Inexcusable. But don't let one member tar the whole BF community!

I am a teacher and have just started a contract at a new school this term.

Had an extra today (PE) and without a role needed to write down all the students names.

Short kid rocks up, didn't take much notice.

"Whats your name giant?"

Kid was a dwarf. Kid ran off crying.

:$:$:$:$:$

Angry parents will be at the School office tomorrow morning.

Had an extra today (PE) and without a role needed to write down all the students names.

"Whats your name giant?"

If you're a teacher you should know the difference between a "role" and a "roll".

"Whats your name giant?"

How old was the kid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back