Religion

Remove this Banner Ad

You can take them as you like? That's convenient.
Allegory? More convenience.
I could have worded that a lot better. What I mean to say is that whether you agree with the writer that what he was 'seeing' was a message from God or not is up to you to decide. By contrast, the STORY of creation is just that, and is not meant to be taken as literal. It's not a case of convenience at all; it's a case of what is truth and what is not.

Your 'problems' with concepts like faith, hope and belief are interesting, Harks. Something I will definitely be thinking about :)

Got the big 50 staring me in the face in the next week.

Do I thank god for this...........not really, more aware of my own mortality.

People have their beliefs, and I respect it that.

Intolerance of other Religions annoys me. And that has been the basis of War for the last 6000 years.

.....and Gold. Golden Temples, Golden Icons, Golden Chariots, Golden Coins, Golden Buddhas.

Last edited:
ShanDog Please don't take them into account because of me. Do it for yourself.

It's really hard (read impossible) for lay-men like us to join all the dots...............the greatest minds in the world haven't been able to yet.

Tomorrow may have me take a different tack but I can't think of anything kinder than to let people be and give them the scope to discuss, reason, enlighten, inform with integrity and give kids the chance to make their own choices in life..........and more than anything.........to be honest.
This seems to me to be an environment for growth and if someone has honestly afforded another that ability and they still choose religion....well....good on them..............who knows, they may just be right.

Religion is a tough topic to discuss without the potential of upsetting people but is that enough of a reason to shut off?....because it's too hard? Peace.

This is genuinely interesting.

Am I offering something back to God, or do I offer it for another life in future.

Does me being here, my actual existence, get me forward or backward.

Or am i some sub-atomic thing, that is part of the universe???????

Faith is like you have joined the dots.

This seems very flippant, but have recently worked with a number of Middle Asians, Muslim and Hindi's. Their view of the world has opened my eyes.

Go to any rocky outpost on our small planet and there is belief.

Easter Island, New Guinea, deepest Africa........

Last edited:
No.

These ISIS guys are evil. Do all muslims run around beheading people? Of course they don't.

Humans are evil. Show me where (in any religion) it says that people should be killed? Beheaded?
I totally agree Jatz, I am muslim myself and if I was ordered by my religion to just start killing people, I guarantee you I wouldn't be muslim!! Some poster previously wrote that it isn't fair to be born into a religion before he/she even draws a breath, ok true but why isn't it widely criticized when the child doesn't have a choice to be born to a homosexual couple having either no dad or mum for the rest of they're lives? Btw you can grow up in religion and choose what's right and wrong, unfortunate if you have 2 fathers because I'm not sure you can change much!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you have to say about this one, it's seems we disagree on most things! I'm not sure which part that "oh dear" was for?
When people talk about children of homosexual couples being disadvantaged because they don't have a mother and a father, they completely disregard the fact that that there are also children who come from single parent homes. Should we force all married couples to stay together for the sake of the children, regardless of how unhappy they are? What about children born from rape? Should the victim shack up with their rapist so the child has a mummy and a daddy? If a parent dies, what then?
Not to mention the fact that some heterosexual parents are just ******* assholes. My mother would probably prefer that she had RCD rather than the abusive prick of a father she got stuck with.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this topic, but for what it's worth, I agree Mebby. Two loving parents and a stable home is far greater than any other alternative. I do think that the paternal and maternal role models are extremely important to healthy development of children (which is backed by a lot of study) and think that people downplay this when arguing over same sex parenting, but the alternative is bad.

I would much rather see children adopted by same sex couples than be wards of the state until they are 18. My wife and I have had plenty of exposure to that as she was a youth worker looking after those poor kids and we became foster parents ourselves.

When people talk about children of homosexual couples being disadvantaged because they don't have a mother and a father, they completely disregard the fact that that there are also children who come from single parent homes. Should we force all married couples to stay together for the sake of the children, regardless of how unhappy they are? What about children born from rape? Should the victim shack up with their rapist so the child has a mummy and a daddy? If a parent dies, what then?
Not to mention the fact that some heterosexual parents are just ******* assholes. My mother would probably prefer that she had RCD rather than the abusive prick of a father she got stuck with.
Are we talking statistical or a bad experience that you've had? What's the percentage of babies being born to rape in comparison to children being born to homosexuals? And btw it's a choice for the homosexuals and is accepted almost everywhere, the 2 are simply not comparable, all the other scenarios are rare and unfortunate and are obviously not of choice!! You're point really had no direction and you just manipulated the situation using other irrelevant situations to justify something that's just as wrong!!

I am with you SD

Obviously the most natural family unit consists of a Mother (female) and a Father (male) but I would think that any family unit where the children's needs are met is just as good.

Has always taken a village to raise children and that involves people of all types.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this topic, but for what it's worth, I agree Mebby. Two loving parents and a stable home is far greater than any other alternative. I do think that the paternal and maternal role models are extremely important to healthy development of children (which is backed by a lot of study) and think that people downplay this when arguing over same sex parenting, but the alternative is bad.

I would much rather see children adopted by same sex couples than be wards of the state until they are 18. My wife and I have had plenty of exposure to that as she was a youth worker looking after those poor kids and we became foster parents ourselves.
Shan I don't doubt that homsexual couples could probably raise a baby better then most but definitely wasn't my point, it's just the fact that the child could either never have a mother or father, which I think is probably worse then bringing up a child with a religion!! The treatment of the child is a totally different issue...

the child could either never have a mother or father, which I think is probably worse then bringing up a child with a religion!!
Sorry, this just doesn't make sense to me mate.

Neither does saying that two same sex people could raise a child just fine then suggesting the above in the same breath.

Sorry, this just doesn't make sense to me mate.

Neither does saying that two same sex people could raise a child just fine then suggesting the above in the same breath.
My original point wasn't about how the child is brought up, but the fact that the child could either never have a mother due to having 2 gay men as parents or never have a father due to having 2 gay women as parents... With no choice or say from the child, Sorry about the confusion, hope that made more sense!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back