Autopsy 'Remember when...' - Volume I: 1994

Remove this Banner Ad

It helped a lot that the 4 GF losses were the beginning of my drinking years...

Amen sister. :thumbsu:

Fantastic season, sorry to harp on with the finals like most others (when there were plenty of great wins in the H and A season) but Michael Mansfield bawling his eyes out at the end of the GF will always stick with me. The guy punctured his lung early in the Footscray game, had it inflated during the game and then ruptured it again when he ran on to the field to mob Billy after the goal. He then missed the Carlton game (many forget that) and came back for the classic against the Roos.

Watching that match in a bowling club in Rockingham when we made the Grand Final, my god I made an arse of myself that day but you do that when you're 17 and sneaking beers.

I also remember that as the season that we had to train on an oval nearby because KP was out of action? I also remember John Barnes acting the clown with Billy on the footy show too.

I was living with a mate at the time of the GF incident.
He was going out with a girl. She had a girlfriend and we all went out to a bar one night.
I remember the GF saying 'ooohhh dans going to get lucky'

We got home and this girl cornered me in the kitchen and said "so you live in the bungalow huh" (ie hint hint)

I just said 'yep', grabbed a beer, and went back into the lounge. *faceplam*

think vc read too many reddit awkward flirting stories.:D

Crazy days.
Blighty probably thought it would put the crows off their game or something but who knows what was going through his head at the best of times...:drunk:

Crazy days.
Blighty probably thought it would put the crows off their game or something but who knows what was going through his head at the best of times...:drunk:
Exactly.
And it did not work.

21066.jpg
the great days when pretty much everyone pulled their socks up

I miss that

Even though Ablett missed the goal, it was the spark we needed and Hocking goaled twice shortly after to seal it.
One of (maybe both?) of this goals from Buddha show just how highly skilled he was... from memory he got the ball about 25/30 out not far from the boundary and kicked a drop punt on his opposite foot that never looked like missing

One of (maybe both?) of this goals from Buddha show just how highly skilled he was... from memory he got the ball about 25/30 out not far from the boundary and kicked a drop punt on his opposite foot that never looked like missing

whiskas was good wasnt he
probably could have sneaked a brownlow

i always rated him higher then couch and even the gun bairstow

He was a gun, skilful and as tough as they came. He always used to get rubbed out and cost himself the Brownlow didn't he?

He was a gun, skilful and as tough as they came. He always used to get rubbed out and cost himself the Brownlow didn't he?
Yep, played the game too hard right around the time it was being softened up. The bloke was about 10 years too late career wise. :(

Easily? in our best 4 ever.
GAS
GAJ
GF
GH

JS is catching up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss the blue shorts.
Ah yes the days with worse conditioned grounds meaning players got muddier yet still no one had issues with telling teams apart

I miss the blue shorts.
I miss Pollys sweat rag,that was different,The time keeper bell,St Augustin's band at Half time,Large Fosters or VB cans from the bars,my old duffle coat, the birds in mini skirts and those wild piss troughs they had behind the goals.

Ah yes the days with worse conditioned grounds meaning players got muddier yet still no one had issues with telling teams apart
I've thought about that in the past and wondered how the hell we did it,my best conclusion is it was the days when players played positions and a very much kick and mark game.I think it would be more difficult in todays footy.

I've thought about that in the past and wondered how the hell we did it,my best conclusion is it was the days when players played positions and a very much kick and mark game.I think it would be more difficult in todays footy.
i
In the league I played in back home we had a team that wore the Black and white like Collingwood and a team that had jumpers like the saints but with a 2nd black stripe instead of red, with a black back

Now that is a junper clash!

I think it reflects the differences in society. We weren't conditioned to complain about absolutely everything then, so you adjusted and amazingly enough were able to cope. Now that moaning (and being offended) are the national pastimes things are different.

Last edited:
I think it reflects the differences in society. We weren't conditioned to complain about absolutely everything then, so you adjusted and amazingly enough were able to cope. Now that moaning (and being offended) are the national pastimes things are different.

The sooking quotent is much higher these days completely agree. The phrase suck it up and get over it is sadly fading from the vernacular.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back