Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Mods move/merge if necessary.
Perhaps very premature but thinking a way both local AFL clubs can keep the legacy of Walshy there before us all.
Now, as I'm aware nearly all stands at the Adelaide oval are named after people who have left a legacy in football and cricket in this state?
Well Phil Walsh fits that bill.

The "Riverbank" name is generic and boring, if enough people put it to the SMA it could be a possibility!
Fittingly it is the highest stand in the stadium so Walshy would be watching over us all from the highest point :) god help if we lose the ground ball gets ;)

[QUOTE="Viva la Mattner, post: 39442027, member: 40612"
Fittingly it is the highest stand in the stadium so Walshy would be watching over us all from the highest point :) god help if we lose the ground ball gets ;)[/QUOTE]

Reading that brought a tear to my eye.

I guess renaming the stand in Walshy's honour is a possibility, though I would prefer to rename the Showdown Medal or Showdown Trophy. There is no doubt that Walshy and Dean Bailey must be honoured by giving their names to things. Doesn't really matter what they are, as long as it happens rather than just talking about it.

I guess renaming the stand in Walshy's honour is a possibility, though I would prefer to rename the Showdown Medal or Showdown Trophy. There is no doubt that Walshy and Dean Bailey must be honoured by giving their names to things. Doesn't really matter what they are, as long as it happens rather than just talking about it.

I agree with this and I think it will happen. The desire from both clubs for this to happen is very strong.

To be honest, I'd prefer to rename the Showdown medal or trophy in Phil Walsh's honour, or even have matches between us and Collingwood (to symbolise where he started and ended his VFL/AFL career) have an honour for him than rename the Riverbank stand. The Riverbank Stand was meant to be a 'neutral' stand between footy and cricket, I'm happy to leave it like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with naming things like this after such an event is what happens if such a thing happens again.

When Bailey died it made sense to name the Showdown Cup/Medal after him. If we did that how would we honour Walsh?

The last three years we have seen McCarthy, Hughes, Bailey, Walsh all die and all worthy of having their name attached to something due to their association with South Australian sport.

Is great in theory, and on the surface I am all for it. But it gets complicated because once something is named after an individual you can't take it back if another scenario like this happens again.

The problem with naming things like this after such an event is what happens if such a thing happens again.

When Bailey died it made sense to name the Showdown Cup/Medal after him. If we did that how would we honour Walsh?

The last three years we have seen McCarthy, Hughes, Bailey, Walsh all die and all worthy of having their name attached to something due to their association with South Australian sport.

Is great in theory, and on the surface I am all for it. But it gets complicated because once something is named after an individual you can't take it back if another scenario like this happens again.
Exactly. Let the emotions calm down and then revisit it.

id always want to kick to the hill end because every time Id see his name idlose it so it's a no from me

The Walsh Bailey cup to winner of showdowns makes the most sense , best mates and the 2 clubs that they probably mean most to ... In the end though that decision lies with the families of both men and not to us

Its easy to get carried away with the emotion of such a bestowment. Let's wait 6 months and see if it still feels right

No, as much as his death is a massive tragedy and shock, I don't think this is a great idea.

I was thinking a walsh-bailey showdown trophy could be apt
I feel Adelaide-Collingwood should play for the walsh cup (to hell with the Westpac Cup - Is that still around?)
Collingwood was the beginning of his journey, Adelaide the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back