Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
This is NOT a lording it thread, but I have heard the Carlton and Brisbane draft hauls described such.

Truth is when clarko took over hawthorn, although they seem to have picked they eyes out of the draft, they didn't do so well with early picks in following years 2005 and 2006. and there had been a fair addition of talent three years earlier in 2001.

I did a bit of an analysis comparing hawks list then and carltons now, with potential or actual premiership players coloured

Attachments

• hawks2005vblues2016.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 3

Dees 2014 looking bloody good although early. Brayshaw, Petracca, vandenBerg, ANB, Stretch, McDonald, White - 6/7 played in 2015 and the one who didn't was due to injury! Most played pretty well too.

Lewis and Roughie still at the club, which is fantastic. Buddy and Griffen are examples of the challenge ahead of the likes of Carlton, who will be the guns but more importantly, who will be the guns + 1 club players?

N. Riewoldt, Pav, these guys are the real gold. Lids, Roughie and Lewis will likely follow as 1 club stars of their draft.

Obviously, it's complete guess work at this stage, but I reckon Carlton have made a great start to their rebuild this year. Two good talls, a third forward and a pack mid in their first 4 picks. If they can develop these kids, and that's the big challenge and most important part, they could hav just set themselves up perfectly

Ironic after 10yrs of THAT draft,We finally nailed it with our Draft of 2014 for what we should have 10yrs earlier IMO.
Ellis,Drumond,Butler,Short.McKenzie & Castanga.
Amazing the difference when you put $$$$$$,s into the football dept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously, it's complete guess work at this stage, but I reckon Carlton have made a great start to their rebuild this year. Two good talls, a third forward and a pack mid in their first 4 picks. If they can develop these kids, and that's the big challenge and most important part, they could hav just set themselves up perfectly

It looks like the drafted guys have a great chance, and they still have the number 1s from way back.

But success in the 4-5 year timeframe might need some of the players not highlighed to produce some close to A grade years when the current drftees approach age 24, and the guys close to retirement give a finl effort thinking theres not too many chances left.
On assesment, it was a reasonable call not to try to trade those guys, especially as you suppose they will also have early picks in next years draft.

Worth noting that the hawks didnt really get too much from 05 and 06 drafts. Imagining them picking up selwood and Pendlebury as well is just outrageous

Of course, the other end, hawks got rioli and dew in 08 who became very key in the success. Similarly collingwood with jolly nd ball in 10

I would have thought that the Rough, Buddy, Lewis draft was an inferior repeat of the Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly draft. :D

Geelong went on to a decent top 4 challenge in 04, after three seasons not four when the hawks had first success in 08
Cats then went on to dominating in 07 to 09, three seasons later, Hawks took till 12 to 15, four years later.

Its pretty similar numbers

Geelong's 1999 draft never really gets talked about much compared to the 2001 draft which was much publicised but they essentially nailed the 1999 draft which has been the cornerstone to their success during this era.

Joel Corey (pick 8)
Paul Chapman (pick 31)
Cameron Ling (pick 38)
Corey Enright (pick 47)

I think it was 99 that we got Murphy, Gia, Hargrave and Gilbee? Decent.

Our 2012 draft was just unreal. Stringer, Macrae, Hunter. Hopefully Hrovat can come on. 2010 got Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus.

Geelongs 99 and 01 drafts won't be beaten.

The Cats nailed it that year.

Cats 99 and 01, Hawks 01 and 05, since then it's been picking up key components here and there to complement the core that was already there. Where Hawthorn has really excelled recently of course is the recruiting for need from other clubs. Has there actually been a bad pick up that hasn't don't exactly what Hawthorn were looking for?

Geelong's 09 draft mightn't have been too bad without injuries with Mitch Duncan, Daniel Menzel and Nathan Vardy all taken that year.

Geelong went on to a decent top 4 challenge in 04, after three seasons not four when the hawks had first success in 08
Cats then went on to dominating in 07 to 09, three seasons later, Hawks took till 12 to 15, four years later.

Its pretty similar numbers

It is, that's why I've always thought that Hawthorn would start to fall away after the 14 season but their veterans have endured better than Geelong's and as I mentioned in my last post, have recruited extremely well.

You look at the output Hawthorn are getting from their class of '01 and what Geelong is getting, with only Bartel left.

You think about North through the 90s. They probably should have had more than their 2 flags but played in something like 7 prelims in a row. What did they have that both Hawthorn and Geelong have had in the last decade? A huge group of players that all came through together, via the u/19s that we had at the time. Probably helped that their u/19 coach would end up coaching them. I always remember the North u/19s being a powerhouse under Pagan.

North on TV recently from that era and the games were noticeably more crash, bash than today. maybe the geme style leads to better longevity.

I'm tempted to think of Brereton, finished at 27, that was when Sammy was becoming a prime mover

Cats 99 and 01, Hawks 01 and 05, since then it's been picking up key components here and there to complement the core that was already there. Where Hawthorn has really excelled recently of course is the recruiting for need from other clubs. Has there actually been a bad pick up that hasn't don't exactly what Hawthorn were looking for?

Geelong's 09 draft mightn't have been too bad without injuries with Mitch Duncan, Daniel Menzel and Nathan Vardy all taken that year.

And Cowen and Christensen...

Well said.

And I cannot tell you how glad I am to now have a bloke in charge who has actually seen the inside of a club that develops well. No doubt the Hawks nailed two drafts, but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue against the fact that a few other clubs would not have reaped the same rewards as you guys.

Not saying BB is a panacea, but at least he knows what a successful club has to do in this era.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back